Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IrishBroadband IBB 3 Rock mast down again

• 03-10-2005 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Here we go again... it was all screwed up last night and it doesn't seem to be working for the past couple hours either.

As usual, never got any reply to any of my emails (but that's a know fact) or if it is some maintenance work they never sent any warning.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Im pinging thru it perfectly now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

Every thing is ok here also, well by ok i mean the link is up.

However i had an interesting conversation on thursday or friday with 1 of the peps in Tech support,to which she did not deny that the is MASSIVE ( actual word used) packet loss across the whole network, and that it had nvr affected 3 rock b4, untill recently, now if you look closly you will see they changed our routing also, used to be we woudl go 3 rock, the RTE then ibis and away to you're destination, now it's 3 rock Tallagh, then IBIS and then off we go.
    now im collecting as much data as possible for them to prove that the are bottle necks @ certain node along the way,the chick i was talkin to in tech support is back in work 2 morrow, so i'll fwd her on the details.

lets hope we get some decent responce

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well, I rang them this morning at 10am .. unable to connect to anything outside the ibb network and was speaking with a complete TOOL for an hour!!
    By 2pm they still hadn't sorted it. Looks to me as if their routing is fooked.

I have cancelled my account with them. Pissed off with their inefficient tech support.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Still not working for me either.

Still no connection. Having reported this at 10am this morning .. they still hadn't escalated my call by 1pm this afternoon.

"Not enough people had called in".

What a shower of ****!! I have lost out on a full day of work because of this!!

• Advertisement

well I guess more people are emailing rather than ringing... this is what I got as a reply from support@irishbroadband.ie

Darren Brooks on 03/10/2005
    The message could not be delivered because the recipient's mailbox is full.
    <dubms02.irishbroadband.ie #5.2.2>

May be Darren is off today?
    I don't know if I need to laugh hysterically or cry?

May be it's time to start a http://www.irishbroadbandsupport-sucks.com ?

I work in IT - and their help desk staff are absolutely ridiculous!
    All they seem to know about is "ping".

I could even tell what the issue was from here .. 30 minutes into the conversation the guy was STILL trouble shooting my laptop when it was plainly clear that this issue was a router in their network.

I would LOVE to mention the names of the two tech support people I spoke to .. love to.

I cann't believe they put these kind of people on tech support.
    Anyways .. enough .. I've told them to come and collect their equipment.
    I don't need unreliable service like this. I'm paying them 48 euros a month and it takes them 4 hours to respond to my tech support call.

FOOK off IBB ... not getting my money anymore

I do sympatise with you folks out there who cannot get any where today, but trust me when i say this, the girl i spoke to last week assured me that they know about the problems,but infairness to the folks in Tech support there aint feck all they can really do.
    Now im not tryin to defent them, but instead of complaining and bitching to some poor person at the end of the fone, have the data ready when you call, so you can prove where the issue's are.

install pingplotter for example, this very handy for spotting where you're pings are spiking, and also where you're packet loss if comming from, e.g. i can tell you all that 90% of the packetloss i've seen to day is from the node just after the IBIS node, it's ip is 62.231.52.157.

Install ping plotter and leave it running solidly pinging some where reliable, then have you're data ready when you call them.

The best thing many can do is use you're brains to show them that a Radio reboot will not solve the issue.

Dr4gul4 wrote:
    I do sympatise with you folks out there who cannot get any where today, but trust me when i say this, the girl i spoke to last week assured me that they know about the problems,but infairness to the folks in Tech support there aint feck all they can really do.

If they knew about problems LAST WEEK, then why do they still have problems this week???????????? And why couldn't the eejet who answered the phone have been honest about the fact that they were having problems. Time to let customers know what is going on??
    Dr4gul4 wrote:
    Now im not tryin to defent them, but instead of complaining and bitching to some poor person at the end of the fone, have the data ready when you call, so you can prove where the issue's are.

Dr4gul4 wrote:
    install pingplotter for example, this very handy for spotting where you're pings are spiking, and also where you're packet loss if comming from, e.g. i can tell you all that 90% of the packetloss i've seen to day is from the node just after the IBIS node, it's ip is 62.231.52.157.

You don't need to install ping plotter to suss out where an issue lies!!

Actually, Buddy!! I did have my data ready (as you put it). Right down to where the problem was. The eejet answering the phone hardly even knew what a router was!

When I ring up customer support asking why there is a half hour wait and get told they are under staffed, then I get pissed off!! I'm paying 48 euros a month for this service .. and I get told "we're understaffed". Does that make it okay??

In general, an hour or so is okay .. but a full day without a service is absolutely unacceptable!!
    I have customers and clients, and I will have lost revenue becuase of this.
    I pay a pay for a service and I expect it to be reliable. When i deal with customer service reps, I expect them to be professional. Whether they are understaffed is not my concern. I pay the going rate, they should bring up their understaffed-ness with the people they work with and not the customers!!

Whoa there bubby, back that sh1t up a little, i nvr said i was here to defend them, all im saying is they are doing these best as Tech support folks to handle the calls,and sure some of them are as thick as bricks, but there not engineers after all, and as for you wanting the truth, do you think it would be a smart move for them to tell every body " ohh yea every thing's over loaded, the sales guys just keep addin new customers and the network cant cope with it"

sure there nothing like the truth i know, but what good would it do you as you hear this from some guy on the end of the fone, who has no control over the way the company is run ??.

come tomorrow im going to e-mail the gurl in tech support and see if we can get 2nd level to look @ the issues and find out whats going on, and even if i dont get it fixed straight away, which will prob be the end result @ leaset i might get some answers from them, and see whats there planning to do about it.

now lets all get along as disgruntled IBB users kk

• Advertisement

Dr4gul4 wrote:
    now lets all get along as disgruntled IBB users kk

Then don't post pointing out that I didn't give them the information they required on a silver tray!!

They shouldn't need a silver tray anyway to realise there is an issue.
    I've cancelled already anyway - will work from a more reliable line until I can et kitted out with new provider.

Also, from insider info ..

IBB HAVE NO WAY OF MEASURING THE CONTENTION RATIO ON THEIR NETWORK. THEIR SOFTWARE/HARDWARE DOESN'T SUPPORT MONITORING/REGULATING IT

nvr said " u " didnt m8, was simpley tryin to get some data together so we could give it to them to say, here look this is where you're problems are, any way i'll agree with you on the new provider bit, have been thinking about changin to metro me self, but we'll see what happens 1st off

D.

Yup, I understand your theory on providing info, right down to the router level. I don't think you'll get very far with it though, becuase they've over stretched their resources.

In the beginning it was great!! I was working for one of the first companies in Sandyford to get IBB - and it was absolutely fantastic! In those days IBB were great. Lately it has just cost too much workwise.

I wish them every luck - but they should learn to listen to their customers and ensure that they have the resourses to cater for the amount they take on.

A shoddy service will deteriorate gradually and puff!! They are silly to mess like that when they put so much into building the company in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I'm sick and tired of this sh1t. Irish Broadband are in breach of the 1980 Sale of Goods and Supply of Service Act. Simple as. I'm cancelling my subscription tomorrow morning and will fight them tooth and nail if they think I'll pay a cent for a service they've failed to deliver over the past 6 months - That was when I contacted them to advise I'd stopped the direct debit pending a proven improvement in their service delivery. Don't anybody give me sh1t about that - You don't get a service then you don't pay for it. If you do you're an idiot.

They've option swapped my Ripwave when it stopped pulling an I.P. address (I KNOW, I know. That's a fruckwits solution to oversubscription) and had the swolen blue balls to send me a bill for the swap-out.

They've failed to deliver a connection which provides any form of improvement over a flat rate dial-up subscription and they can chew on my hairy scrotum if they think I'll take this any longer. I'm like a man possessed here. I just saw their €1M campaign advert on TV - Bastards. Spend the frucking money delivering the service instead of conning new customers.

Jesus. I'm livid. And it's taken 8 minutes to load this thread. AGGGGHHHHHHHH.

Can anyone hear the words 'Class Action' when they close their eyes and think about Ripwave?

Gil

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

H:\>tracert www.boards.ie

Tracing route to www.boards.ie [82.195.136.36]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router.ballinteer.net [192.168.0.2]
    2 1325 ms 1201 ms 1087 ms DN02-fe-1-3-1-160-3rock.irishbroadband.ie [62.23
    1.57.129]
    3 7 ms 9 ms 7 ms DN03-as1-0-tallaght.irishbroadband.ie [62.231.52
    .186]
    4 8 ms 5 ms 11 ms DN42-as1-0-ibis-access.irishbroadband.ie [62.231
    .52.134]
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 1151 ms 1169 ms 1281 ms panama-inex.hosting365.ie [193.242.111.87]
    7 81 ms 26 ms 8 ms corerouter1.hosting365.ie [82.195.128.7]
    8 1120 ms 1256 ms 1610 ms boards.ie [82.195.136.36]

Trace complete.

H:\>

this is a total and utter disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

WiMAX HW went up on the mast last Sat on 3rock sector 2-3 (was 25% packet loss earlier in the week after the upgrade) and cork (was up to 60% loss) thus the outage on last Sat. Since then my connection has been muck, barely usable I'm having GIS done to be turned to RTE, guy in tech support (really helpful and kept me informed even called back) even went on about RTE being cleaned up and most of the load reduced by the other masts in town and surounding areas. Also told me all customers in my area were getting the VL replaced with WiMAX but there is a 2 month backlog of installs already. So if I fail GIS I'll have to scream for the WiMAX client equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Wimax HW went up on tha mast last sat on 3rock sector 2-3 (was 25% packet loss earlier in the week)and cork (up to 60% loss) thus the outage on sat. Since then my connection has been muck, barely usable im haveing GIS done to be turned to RTE, guy in tech support (really helpful and kept me informed even called back) even went on about RTE being cleaned up and most of the load reduced by the other masts in town and surounding areas. Also told me all customers in my area were getting the VL replaced with Wimax but there is a 2 month backlog of installs already. So if i fail GIS i'll have to scream for the WiMAX client equipment.

Maybe then IBB will regain its customer confidence.

pity it's a 2 month wait time, i'll make sure to ask about the RTE tower 2 day, and the Wimax set up on 3 rock today, by the way whats GIS ??, i know im going to kick my self when i find out

Have they even had the decency to apologise to anyone for yesterday??
    Or give an explanation??

Just got my landline enabled. Anyone know what imagine broadband is like??
    Looks like I can get imagine broadband

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Looks a bit better me thinks.
    -bash-2.05b$ traceroute www.ucd.ie
    traceroute to www.ucd.ie (193.1.172.140), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
    1 router (192.168.0.2) 0.753 ms 1.001 ms 1.070 ms
    2 DN02-fe-1-3-1-160-3rock.irishbroadband.ie (62.231.57.129) 71.162 ms 3.608 ms 4.024 ms
    3 DN03-as1-0-tallaght.irishbroadband.ie (62.231.52.186) 3.339 ms 5.152 ms 3.163 ms
    4 DN42-as1-0-ibis-access.irishbroadband.ie (62.231.52.134) 3.576 ms 8.163 ms 3.813 ms
    5 DN42-ae0-50-ibis-gw.irishbroadband.ie (62.231.52.157) 4.638 ms 5.466 ms 4.230 ms
    6 hyperion-gige6-1.cwt.core.hea.net (193.242.111.16) 5.022 ms 5.871 ms 4.374 ms
    7 mantova-gige3-4.bh.access.hea.net (193.1.195.130) 5.405 ms 14.614 ms 8.795 ms
    8 * * *
    9 barrow-r1-vlan-13.ucd.ie (193.1.145.6) 8.329 ms 6.844 ms 6.939 ms
    10 clarion.ucd.ie (193.1.172.140) 5.967 ms 8.593 ms 8.831 ms
    -bash-2.05b$

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

If you can get imagine broadband, you can get any broadband. The only thing i'd say is imagine is actually the single greatest ripoff of a broadband package to be advertised in recent times. Add in the hidden charges and its only a few euros cheaper than 16cap BT broadband, which offers a LOT more browsing/downloading than imagines ****e time-capped offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

ok im gonna be a thick here for a min and hope someone can help

I have eircom broadband since it started (about a month after) its costing me €35 a month (line rental on seperate phone bill one that is way cheaper than eircom i might add lol)and with the broadband I never once ever ever had a problem with it nothing nada zip zero. Now with everyone going on about IBB i know there is no line rental no contract(even tho T&C applies) but if the service is sh1t get rid of it or is it that simple?? I use the internet for general browsing and emails and the price remains the same. It's always on the go daily and I used to clock up bills of €300 a month on dial up thats how much i use it and that was evening use only.

I have looked at other providers and the line capability etc confuses me cause i dont know what i have lol but its v fast this post will take about 5 - 8 sec's to send but i know the less u pay the weaker the line and download restrictions are tighter and what does that down load capacity refer to actual downloads or usage???I said i was being thick plus even though smart are doing a free line rental thing u have to sign up for their telephone also so i can imagine that the call charges are to make up the free line rental loss??? so i think im doin ok even with rip off merchants like eircom(my own opinion not fact and relating to broadband in other countries not here in ire its too confusing)

can some one explain to me please the basics
    it actually took 3 sec to load

I don't know what IBB is messing around with WiMAZ or something else but they've busted my connection again. It's been a whole week now of 40% packet loss and crawling slower than dial up.

Anybody else with the same issue on 3 Rock in the past week?

Its fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭arcane99

This s**t has been going on for the past 3 weeks through the Tallaght router and no-one in that place will respond to email and do the usual ping, etc when your on the phone...Its gone beyond joke.

What we need are some email addresses for more than support or info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I have eircom broadband since it started (about a month after) its costing me €35 a month (line rental on seperate phone bill one that is way cheaper than eircom i might add lol)and with the broadband I never once ever ever had a problem with it nothing nada zip zero. Now with everyone going on about IBB i know there is no line rental no contract(even tho T&C applies) but if the service is sh1t get rid of it or is it that simple??

Well its IBB or nothing for a lot of us who dont want phone lines or cant get NTL yet. Im hoping this metro works out as it might be a better alternitave for me.

Ragarding the talaght router being down for 3 weeks! Has any one ever seen what a router looks like. They are 19 inches long.They can have one power lead and 12, 24 , or 48 utp cables comming out the front. How long does it take to change one. I reckon I could do it in about 15 mins. Can I have a job as an IBB enineer I think i can beat the 3 weeks its taking their lads. Unless the problem is far more deep routed than a router and they wont admit it. Yeah tell ever one its a router most people dont know what they are any way and will believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

By the way where have all the ibb techies gone there used to be at least 2 on here. I seem to recall old titan i could be wrong....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have eircom broadband since it started (about a month after) its costing me €35 a month (line rental on seperate phone bill one that is way cheaper than eircom i might add lol)and with the broadband I never once ever ever had a problem with it nothing nada zip zero. Now with everyone going on about IBB i know there is no line rental no contract(even tho T&C applies) but if the service is sh1t get rid of it or is it that simple?? I use the internet for general browsing and emails and the price remains the same. It's always on the go daily and I used to clock up bills of €300 a month on dial up thats how much i use it and that was evening use only.

I have looked at other providers and the line capability etc confuses me cause i dont know what i have lol but its v fast this post will take about 5 - 8 sec's to send but i know the less u pay the weaker the line and download restrictions are tighter and what does that down load capacity refer to actual downloads or usage???I said i was being thick plus even though smart are doing a free line rental thing u have to sign up for their telephone also so i can imagine that the call charges are to make up the free line rental loss??? so i think im doin ok even with rip off merchants like eircom(my own opinion not fact and relating to broadband in other countries not here in ire its too confusing)

can some one explain to me please the basics
    it actually took 3 sec to load

I dont want to hijack the thread but more than likely have have a 1Mbconnection. For this you are paying I think 30 euros plus your line rental. Which brings your total charges up to 55 euros. http://home.eircom.net/javascript/Broadband/Products/index.jsp. You can check your connection speed at www.irishisptest.com.

I have often commented that Eircom seem to be the most reliable of all the service providers and you would obviously go along with that. However for someone in your postion if you can get Smart you would make considerable savings and get a faster speed - Smart offer a basic 2Mb connection and virtually unlimited downloads which you dont seem to require anyways.

Smart's call rates are also cheaper than Eircom's. http://www.smarttelecom.ie/residentialrates.htm.

If you make a lot of phone calls then some of the other isp offerings might suit you. UTV offer free calls in the evening and at weekends for example.

Esat also offer attractive packages if you can cope with a chronically dysfunctional accounts department and the possiblity of debt collector's letters about bills that never issued to you:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

do irishbroadband block pings?

because im on digiweb and i was trying to ping irishbroadband.ie and it timesout at sandyford

• Advertisement

Yeah .. you cannot ping the ibb site

Advertisement