Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asp error

Options
  • 10-09-2001 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hey just wondering if anyone could help me with this problem I am having I created an online application form which works fine true personal web server and across my network but when I went to put it up on the web it won't work, at first it didn't recognise the pages so I got indigo my server to turn them on but when they did it generated the following error and I just can't figure it out any comments at all would be appreciated

===========================================

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Can't open database '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

/connection.asp, line 7

============================================

here is the connection.asp

==============================================

<!-- METADATA TYPE="typelib"
    FILE="C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msado15.dll" -->
    <%

Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.open "driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};dbq=" & server.mappath("dcfe.mdb")

If Session("blnValidUser") = True and Session("PersonID") = "" Then
    Dim rsPersonIDCheck
    Set rsPersonIDCheck = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    Dim strSQL
    strSQL = "SELECT PersonID FROM application " & _
    "WHERE EMail = '" & Session("EMailAddress") & "';"
    rsPersonIDCheck.Open strSQL, objConn
    If rsPersonIDCheck.EOF Then
    Session("blnValidUser") = False
    Else
    Session("PersonID") = rsPersonIDCheck("PersonID")
    End If
    rsPersonIDCheck.Close
    Set rsPersonIDCheck = Nothing
    End If
    %>
    ============================================

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The obvious question that begs asking is are you trying to open an Access 2000 mdb with an Access 97 Driver..?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

when i created the database i used access 2000 but surely a company as big as indigo would have the files to access 97 and 00

Originally posted by jim_bob
    when i created the database i used access 2000 but surely a company as big as indigo would have the files to access 97 and 00

You can't connect to an Access 2000 mdb with Access 97 drivers (but you can the other way round). Also afaik, you can't have both sets of drivers installed on the server. It's their way to encourage you to upgrade.

I'm surprised that Indigo haven't upgraded to IIS5, or at least just the drivers... well, no, I'm not really that surprised... :rolleyes:

Either have them install Access 2000 drivers on your server (lol) or redevelop your mdb using Access 97.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

Hi

You say this is an 'online application form' which makes me think you are writing to the database rather than reading from it. Many webhosts only allow you to keep writable databases in one folder. It could be nothing to do with your connection string, I think you get the same error when you try to write to a database that is not in a writeable folder. You might want to try and talk to Indigo about that.

Of course it may well be your connection string. I'm just suggesting another possible problem in case you are sure your connection string is ok.

Alis

Originally posted by Alis
    Of course it may well be your connection string. I'm just suggesting another possible problem in case you are sure your connection string is ok.

It's the drivers all right, as he can't open the mdb to read/write in the first place (so your issue can't arise), however you raise a good point as even with the correct version of mdb it may not presently work of the reason you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Alis

Whilst on the topic of Access and NT/Win 2000 boxes. IMHO, you are better off using Access 97. Don't ask me why but some servers just don't like Access 2000 whereas 97 always seems to work fine. Access 97 is sufficient for most task and Access 97 files are much smaller then Access 2000 ones anyway.

The Corinthian wrote:
    redevelop your mdb using Access 97.

Open Access 2000, Tools, Convert to previous Access version...

'Redevelopment' is not usually necessary :)

Having said that I did once use a server that had a really weird distain for Access 2000 databases. Even when I converted to 97 is wouldn't open the database. I eventually discovered that it would only accept databases that had been created and only modified in Access 97. Once a DB had been opened in Access 2000, it wouldn't ever work again. So don't throw your old Access 97 CDs out if you are a developer :)

The Corinthian wrote:
    I'm surprised that Indigo haven't upgraded to IIS5, or at least just the drivers... well, no, I'm not really that surprised... :rolleyes:

LOL. I have a client on an Indigo NT server so nothing would surprise me at this stage :)

Are you a paying Indigo customer jim_bob or just using free webspace? If you are a paying customer I can probably dig up an example of how Indigo Access connection strings should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Are you guys flirting?

Advertisement