Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Ireland

• 03-10-2005 2:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

Any Man City fans around know much about this guy, seems he is an attacking Midfielder, he got man of the match for City yesterday, is he due a run in City’s team? Is he any good for that matter?

I think we are desperately short on attacking players at the moment, once you go past Duff, Keane and Reid there is not a whole lot there in an attacking sense, hopefully Stephen Ireland can come on this season and get a regular run under Pearse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He's an attacking central midfielder. Had a run in with Kerr a few years ago and hasn't been in an underage Irish squad since which is a worry. Joey O'Brien is getting a look in at Bolton too and started for them on Thursday. Willo Flood is in form at Coventry. Owen Garvan is starting every game for Ipswich. Glenn Whelan captained Wednesday for a few games this season. All these young midfielders getting their game can't be bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Any idea how Partridge is doing at Wednesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Saw Stephen Ireland on Sunday for Man City and he was excellent. He played some great balls into both vassell and cole and could have had a goal himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

eirebhoy wrote:
    He's an attacking central midfielder. Had a run in with Kerr a few years ago and hasn't been in an underage Irish squad since which is a worry.

It was an U17 mini tournament in Cork. Ireland were to play France, and Stephen was dropped. He then decided - "screw this" and left the squad. He gave a very poor interview to the Cork Evening Echo, saying he felt that Kerr is "a poor manager", and that his "talent should be recognised".

Talk about burning a bridge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He also walks the walk

Had a great game on Sunday, and was always a threat in midfield.

One to watch, and I'm sure we'll see him get a run on the Man City team for the next month at least

• Advertisement

^ Like Willo Flood? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

He was absolutely amazing on sunday.
    His passing was second to none and he unlocked the everton defence on many occassions with some superb over-the-top and crossfield balls.

It would be nice to see him get a run out for the under 21's and bring him into the full squad after the world cup (if he can get his game for city and keep playing like that)

I have to admit I was very, very impressed by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

gimmick wrote:
    Willo Flood's on loan at Coventry at the moment,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ok so he did look like a decent player but as per usual with irish players we are getting way ahead of ourselves. he is a brigth prospect but nothing more at the moment. He has to break into the City team and play regularily for a Season before he can really be judged. Anybody can have a few good games but whether you can maintain that standard is the challenge. he looks like a very bright prospect but lets not get carried away just yet

Article on him in the indo today as usual they are comparing him to Keane already :rolleyes: ...
    THE player billed as 'The new Roy Keane' has vowed not to play for Ireland as long as Brian Kerr is involved in the international set-up.

Manchester City's Stephen Ireland has become the hottest property in Irish soccer following his sensational man of the match performance against Everton on Sunday.

In his first Premiership start, after just two substitute appearances, the 19-year-old displayed a maturity beyond his years and earned a ringing endorsement from City manager Stuart Pearce.

But while his club career is reaching new heights his international career has been on hold for three years after a spectacular bust-up with Brian Kerr which saw Ireland exile himself from international football.

"He has said that he won't play again for Ireland as long as Brian Kerr is there," said a family friend.

The falling out with Ireland's most successful under-age manager occurred in October 2002 and saw him stage a Roy Keane style walkout. Ireland was a member of an Irish U17 squad managed by Kerr that was taking part in a European qualifying tournament against Germany, France and Slovenia in Cork and his home town Cobh.

On October 21 Ireland sat on the bench as Germany defeated the Irish 3-0 in St Colman's Park, Cobh, in front of a 3,500 strong crowd that included his family, neighbours and friends.

Two days later Ireland lost 1-0 to France in front of another 3,500 spectators at Turner's Cross and once again the Manchester City player was an unused substitute.

Angry at not been given an opportunity to play in front of his fellow Corkonians Ireland stormed out of the squad and headed back to Manchester rather than staying for the final group game against Slovenia.

At the time Kerr explained that Ireland's departure was due to injury. "Stephen asked to be released on fitness grounds and I told him he could go. I do not believe he wanted to be here in the first place," said Kerr.

But those close to Ireland dispute that. Said a family friend: "Stephen was heartbroken at not being given an opportunity to play in front of his family and friends in either game. He didn't see any point in staying and felt his career would be better served by returning to Manchester City."

Although Kerr was named as senior international team manager three months later, Ireland remained in exile.

"He felt that Kerr still had a huge influence over the international teams. He liked Sean McCaffrey and got on really well with him but he is determined not to return while Brian Kerr is still there," added the friend.

Ireland is now eligible for the U21s and it is understood that Don Givens will be approaching him when he returns from Cyprus to see if he is ready to end his international exile.

But those discussions could hinge on the results of the next two World Cup qualifiers

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote:
    I still think Flood is a very good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:
    I still think Flood is a very good player.

As do I , im sure he will be in our senior squads in the not too distant future .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

THE player billed as 'The new Roy Keane' has vowed not to play for Ireland as long as Brian Kerr is involved in the international set-up.

Manchester City's Stephen Ireland has become the hottest property in Irish soccer following his sensational man of the match performance against Everton on Sunday.

In his first Premiership start, after just two substitute appearances, the 19-year-old displayed a maturity beyond his years and earned a ringing endorsement from City manager Stuart Pearce.

But while his club career is reaching new heights his international career has been on hold for three years after a spectacular bust-up with Brian Kerr which saw Ireland exile himself from international football.

"He has said that he won't play again for Ireland as long as Brian Kerr is there," said a family friend.

The falling out with Ireland's most successful under-age manager occurred in October 2002 and saw him stage a Roy Keane style walkout. Ireland was a member of an Irish U17 squad managed by Kerr that was taking part in a European qualifying tournament against Germany, France and Slovenia in Cork and his home town Cobh.

On October 21 Ireland sat on the bench as Germany defeated the Irish 3-0 in St Colman's Park, Cobh, in front of a 3,500 strong crowd that included his family, neighbours and friends.

Two days later Ireland lost 1-0 to France in front of another 3,500 spectators at Turner's Cross and once again the Manchester City player was an unused substitute.

Angry at not been given an opportunity to play in front of his fellow Corkonians Ireland stormed out of the squad and headed back to Manchester rather than staying for the final group game against Slovenia.

At the time Kerr explained that Ireland's departure was due to injury. "Stephen asked to be released on fitness grounds and I told him he could go. I do not believe he wanted to be here in the first place," said Kerr.

But those close to Ireland dispute that. Said a family friend: "Stephen was heartbroken at not being given an opportunity to play in front of his family and friends in either game. He didn't see any point in staying and felt his career would be better served by returning to Manchester City."

Although Kerr was named as senior international team manager three months later, Ireland remained in exile.

"He felt that Kerr still had a huge influence over the international teams. He liked Sean McCaffrey and got on really well with him but he is determined not to return while Brian Kerr is still there," added the friend.

Ireland is now eligible for the U21s and it is understood that Don Givens will be approaching him when he returns from Cyprus to see if he is ready to end his international exile.

But those discussions could hinge on the results of the next two World Cup qualifiers

Who writes this cráp?!?

"The New Roy Keane"
    "Sensational"
    "Endorsement from his Manager" Well if you're manager can't give you a good recommendation, well then you've no hope!!
    "International Exile"

And the classic, "He has said that he won't play again for Ireland as long as Brian Kerr is there," said a family friend.

Has Ireland actually said this himself?? I doubt it!

We're getting as bad as the English Press!!

B.

Im not casting doubt over Floods abilities, far from it, he is a very good player, and is a great prospect, but after a few games people were saying similar things about how "Irelands future is here". Im sure his time at Coventry will be of great benefit to his career.

Anyway, thats off topic. This Stephen Ireland seems like a jumped up little twat. After reading that article I'm sure of it even more.
    Bazmo* wrote:
    Has Ireland actually said this himself?? I doubt it!

Yes, as I said above he said this himself back at the time of the fall-out. That said, it could be the only time he said it, so the comments in the above article could be redundant.

Not to mention the article is getting ahead of time a bit. "New Roy Keane" my hole.

Every bright new prospect in Brazil is dubbed "the next Pele!" or "the next Ronaldinhio"

Why should we ever expect that when a new young irish midfielder comes through he won't get "the next Roy Keane" thing.

Liam Miller (lol)

Despite the hyped up sensationalism of the media, only time will tell. But I have to say again that I thought Ireland was magnificant on Sunday (oh, btw. on the BBC sqaud stats Stephen Ireland is down as English :eek: ). So I thought he was english on sunday and still thought he was amazing (just to clarify the through rose coloured glasses thing )

Appartenly he can also declare for England or Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

excuse me for going off topic, but i heard that roberto baggio had an Grandmother from Mayo! What a sight that would be if he had declared for Ireland, eh! :rolleyes: i wish!

I havent heard anything of this Ireland lad, but for sure he needs a proper run in the City team before any pundits or fans can start saying he is the next roy keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Didnt we all say this about a few players over the past number of years !

liam miller - new roy keane

obviously correct :rolleyes:

I won't pass judgement on whether Ireland is or isn't an idiot as at the end of the day, he was 16 at the time. He'll be called up to the next U-21 squad, we'll find out a lot more then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

One thing's for sure though...he has one of the most irish accents I've ever heard...(if you know what I mean) Did anyone hear him in the post match interview? He acquited himself well and is definitely one with a head on his shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This is exactly what I mean. the man has hardly played and people are on here singing his praises and the papers are marking him down as the new Roy Keane. Its pretty ridiculous really he has to have a long run in the team and keep playing well regularily before we can really judge him. I wish Irish fans and the media would stop getting carried away so easily. there is already alot of pressure on the lad already now

I wouldn't mind but he doesn't seem anything like Roy Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

And if anything he should be the new "new Roy Keane".

eirebhoy wrote:
    I wouldn't mind but he doesn't seem anything like Roy Keane.

I have to agree, he is far more attacking then Roy ever was.

Let's just say he looks like he could be a very good player and hopefully he will get his chance to cut his teeth in the Under 21's and the Man City first team this season.

Has anybody considered that maybe he doesnt even want to play for Ireland and may want to play for England instead? It is a possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Stephen Ireland + Bust Up with International Manager = New Roy Keane

Someone was taking the piss.

One good match against Everton doesnt make this lad a international. And the fact that he has already fell out with Brian Kerr, maturity? If he was mature, he'd apologise and get on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I can't see a Cork man declaring for England, or even Italy, he'd never be able to set foot Leeside again!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

2 weeks ago none or the journalists knew or cared who Stephen Ireland was, now because of a MOTM performance he's flavor of the week - 2 more articles in today's indo about him - I'd lay odds there was none when he left the Ireland U-17 squad to go back to Manchester 3 years ago. The Irish squad are not speaking to the media in any great capacity, and there's no "Robbie Keane in Lillie's" type story, so this is a handy way to fill column inches. And in another 2 weeks this will all be forgotten about while the rags pick up on the latest scandal/transfer speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote:
    I won't pass judgement on whether Ireland is or isn't an idiot as at the end of the day, he was 16 at the time.

Well he still hold the's same position 3 years on so you can't just write it off to immarturity imho.

==

I read a bit about this and apparently Kerr smokescreened the incident at the time and made up some story that Ireland was sent back to ManCity because he was injured - instead of Irelands own version that he walked. You could argue Kerr said this to protect the kid but I don't personally believe that. If it was smokescreened then that might be playing a major factor in Irelands current attitude to Kerr.

Another story I heard about it is that Ireland played a ManCity reserve game shortly prior to this tournament in Cobh against Kerrs wishes. Kerr benched him indefinetly as punishment. After the 2nd game ManCity then asked Ireland to come back to play another game for him at the time and he decided to leave and play for them rather than just sit on the bench doing nothing.

Personally tho I think this whole story is not about StevieIreland at all and just fuel for the "get Kerr out" fire that is currently simmering among the press hacks. They're getting as bad as the English media in their approach of 'throw enough muck and some will surely stick'.

I'm not a fan of the Kerrs tactics but if we get to the play-offs then he should stay because I don't think there's anyone out there who could do better with the crap he's got to work with. If we don't to the P.O's then he should be sacked. Simple as. I don't like the press thinking they should have some major input into his future as manager via these tattle tale stories.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    Well he still hold the's same position 3 years on...
    Who knows? Maybe he just hasn't been called up since he told them 3 years ago not to consider him.
    I read a bit about this and apparently Kerr smokescreened the incident at the time and made up some story that Ireland was sent back to ManCity because he was injured - instead of Irelands own version that he walked. You could argue Kerr said this to protect the kid but I don't personally believe that. If it was smokescreened then that might be playing a major factor in Irelands current attitude to Kerr.
    "Stephen asked to be released on fitness grounds and I told him he could go. I do not believe he wanted to be here in the first place," said Kerr.
    Another story I heard about it is that Ireland played a ManCity reserve game shortly prior to this tournament in Cobh against Kerrs wishes. Kerr benched him indefinetly as punishment. After the 2nd game ManCity then asked Ireland to come back to play another game for him at the time and he decided to leave and play for them rather than just sit on the bench doing nothing.
    Did you get that from here:
    http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=362544&postcount=69

If so its complete crap. Man City haven't been in a reserve cup final in years, I doubt there's many cup finals in October and at the time Ireland wasn't even playing for the reserves, never mind being captain. Kerr said he'd give every player in the squad a game which meant Ireland would have played in the next game.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Did you get that from here:
    http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=362544&postcount=69

If so its complete crap. Man City haven't been in a reserve cup final in years, I doubt there's many cup finals in October and at the time Ireland wasn't even playing for the reserves, never mind being captain. Kerr said he'd give every player in the squad a game which meant Ireland would have played in the next game.

Nah I didn't read that page but that's pretty much the jist of what I heard alright. Like I said was 'another story' and I was just passing it along. I don't know whether its true or not.

Personally I hope this whole thing gets sorted out quickly as it's imho definetly just being used to undermine Kerr rather than promote Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I clearly remember Liam Miller being dubbed as the next Roy Keane. I fell for it then like a sucker, and i'll never believe hype again unless it's undeniable!

Second, (Off-topic) Rio Ferdinand could have played for England, Jamacia, or Ireland (mother), seen him play lately? Give me Gary Breen anyday! So could Rooney, Gerrard and Gazza have played for us :D

Third, I heard this Ireland chap had a fall out with Kerr years ago, and vowed never to play for Ireland while he's inviolved. A "self-imposed exile"

I dont care how good the little sh*t is, I hope he never plays for Irelnad with an attitude like that, first he's never even been mentioned about an Irish call up, let alone a u21 one. Secondly, he should be honored to even get near an Irish squad, and with an attitude like that, he can go to England or Italy, because I for one don't want him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

DubGuy wrote:
    I clearly remember Liam Miller being dubbed as the next Roy Keane. I fell for it then like a sucker, and i'll never believe hype again unless it's undeniable!

Second, (Off-topic) Rio Ferdinand could have played for England, Jamacia, or Ireland (mother), seen him play lately? Give me Gary Breen anyday! So could Rooney, Gerrard and Gazza have played for us :D

Third, I heard this Ireland chap had a fall out with Kerr years ago, and vowed never to play for Ireland while he's inviolved. A "self-imposed exile"

I dont care how good the little sh*t is, I hope he never plays for Irelnad with an attitude like that, first he's never even been mentioned about an Irish call up, let alone a u21 one. Secondly, he should be honored to even get near an Irish squad, and with an attitude like that, he can go to England or Italy, because I for one don't want him.

I'm not one to stick up for soccer players as I think they are overpaid namby pambies in general.

However this 'self imposed exile' and blow out with Kerr, is just (IMHO)

(a) A Teenage Strop, he was a kid, he didn't get picked to play in front of Mummy and Daddy, I'm taking my ball and going home, and I hate you forever and ever. It happens to every house with a teenager when there's a disco on a school night (do they still get called discos? :o )
    (b) More Cynically, the Independent News and Media (under new management :rolleyes: ) using this story to further undermine Kerr.

P.S I'm not particularily supporting Kerr, I think he has made some very poor tactical decisions and should be held accountable, but if we qualify, I'm prepared to say Mission Accomplished, if we don't I'll say 'We blew it'.

I just think this story is irrelevant, and is just the Press (the eternal stroppy teenager) spitting out their dummy after their recent snubs by Kerr, with smear tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Culchie wrote:
    I just think this story is irrelevant, and is just the Press (the eternal stroppy teenager) spitting out their dummy after their recent snubs by Kerr, with smear tactics.

That's it in a nutshell. Someone in work had the Daily Mirror in today and I had a quick look at the back page and I couldn't believe the story they were running with. Something along the lines of,

"FAI deny Keane to take over the Ireland Job"

What an absolutely ridiculous story to even print, let alone have it as the main story. Of course Keane won't be taking over the main job. There's a million different reasons why!!

It's just a case of the Player's and Manager refusing to talk to the press and with such big games coming up the press have to make their sales so they just make sh1t up to make their money.

I would every that's in the papers over the next few days with a pinch of salt.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

RTE wrote:
    Cork-born Stephen Ireland has verbally agreed a new two-year deal with Manchester City.

The 18-year-old midfielder has recently broken into the Blues starting line-up and made his fifth appearance of the season in Sunday's 2-1 win over West Ham United.

The former Irish underage international player is a product of the City academy which has also spawned the likes of Nedum Onuoha, Lee Croft and Bradley Wright-Phillips, all current members of Stuart Pearce's Premiership squad.

Ireland agreed the contract with City's chief executive Alistair Mackintosh at last night's reserve-team win over Bury and it is only a matter of time before it is signed.

The news comes 24 hours after it was confirmed French midfielder Antoine Sibierski had extended his stay at Eastlands by another year.

Good news for him.

• Advertisement

Yeah started at the w'end against West Ham and played nearly the full 90 mins, seen highlights of the game he seemed to play quite well. Hopefully he can get a run going in the team.

From the Times:
    Mathieu Flamini and Cesc Fabregas are discovering the difference between playing their old roles and having to be the main men. They are not ready for the new demands and even Gilberto, so commanding when playing alongside Vieira, was just another worker.

He did his shift, but not nearly as influential as City’s Stephen Ireland. Two months ago Ireland turned 17 and, physically, he’s hardly left the foothills. He should not have been able to achieve so much against Arsenal but he did.
    They got his age wrong but it seems he played well. Actually, the Times, Observer and the Telegraph all said Ireland was 17. I just googled and most sites have him down as born in '88. Whats up with that?

eirebhoy wrote:
    From the Times:

They got his age wrong but it seems he played well. Actually, the Times, Observer and the Telegraph all said Ireland was 17. I just googled and most sites have him down as born in '88. Whats up with that?

Hopefully great things will come from him. After seeing promising starts from players like Colin Healy and Liam Miller fade to nothing, hopefully Ireland will be the player to make the breakthrough.

He's playing in the PL though, unlike those aforementioned players, and things would certainly appear good for his future.

eirebhoy wrote:

Haven't a clue, actually born August 86 right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

eirebhoy wrote:
    From the Times:

Yeah, he's 19. Has a 2-year old son too, so if anybody was calling him immature, he's had to grow up quickly.

• Advertisement

Yeah, he's 19. Has a 2-year old son too, so if anybody was calling him immature, he's had to grow up quickly.

Jez, the Irish lads must like to start early. Andy Reid has a kid from when he was 17 too.

What a goal by Elliot!! :eek: Left foot into top corner...class.

He was unlucky with his chip too...Even Given thought it was in.

Wrong thread mate!

lol :o right you are...thought I was posting in the Sunday results page!! ...damn it, reading other threads while waiting for the goal to be downloaded!!

Cheers Eirebhoy, missed the game last night because I was at Tolka. Wonderful pass.

Nice pass. Pity Ando didn't finish it or they'd be repeating it on tv til the end of the season. As is it'll probably just be lost to the archives FOREVER ..... mwahaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Now that is a touch of class.

Very Impressive, you either have that natural ability or you don't.

Excellent assist for him yesterday and was City's best player:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/7262991/ireland_assist1.wmv.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement