Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

non tax-resident ssia....

• 03-10-2005 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭

I've been reading lately about the rules governing the ssia, especially relating to the ssia holder must be a 'tax-resident'. Does this mean that you cannot hold a job in another country for any amount of time, or you will will lose the government add-on?
    the reason i am asking is because i am planning on going to the hague, Holland, in a few weeks and getting a job while there for not more than six months, what are my options?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Spocker

Some info from the Revenue website on tax-residency:
    Revenue.ie wrote:
    4. How do I know if I am resident in Ireland for a tax year?
    Your residence status for Irish tax purposes is determined by the number of days you are present in Ireland during a given tax year. You will therefore be resident in Ireland for a particular tax year in either of the following circumstances (but see question 5 for special arrangements for residence purposes applying in the short tax “year” ending 31 December 2001 and for the following tax year ending 31 December 2002):
      if you spend 183 days or more in Ireland for any purpose in that tax year;
    or
      if you spend 280 days or more in Ireland for any purpose over a period of two consecutive tax years you will be regarded as resident of Ireland for the second tax year. For example, if you spend 140 days here in year 1 and 150 days here in year 2 you will be resident in Ireland for year 2. (However, you can spend up to 30 days in total in Ireland in either tax year and this test will not apply to make you resident even though the combined total of days spent in Ireland over the two tax years may be 280 or more. For example, if you spend 365 days in Ireland in year 1 and only 14 days here in year 2, thereby giving a combined total presence of 379 days, you will not be regarded as resident for year 2 under this test. A “day” for residence purposes is one on which you are present in Ireland at midnight.

The exact document is here. AFAIK if you were working for your current employer in another EU country you'd be OK, but as your looking for work I assume this is not the case.

Sorry I can't offer any more, maybe a quick chat with somebody in the Revenue office might help, at least you'd know before you started the ins and outs of what you can and can't do.

Good luck!

S

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ElaineOC

are you still considered a tax resident if you live in the Republic but work and pay tax in the North?

I can't answer that one I'm afraid - a call to the tax office (North?/South?) will sort that one out for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

hey, thanks for that....
    i just want to make sure i understand that....
    so is the tax year jan to dec? so if i get a job outside ireland in october, that'll be only 3 months for the 2005 tax-year, right? and then january 2006 to whenever, will be counted in the 2006 tax-year?

Yup, thats it the tax year runs from Jan to Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 squeeze

You will be ok as you will be considered 'Ordinarily resident' in the ROI.

See http://www.oasis.gov.ie/personal_finance/government_savings_scheme.html

"Rules
    You must have been resident in the Republic of Ireland and over 18 years of age at the time you began your special savings incentive account. In addition, you must be either resident or ordinarily resident in the Republic of Ireland throughout the period from the beginning of your account to the period on which the declaration of maturity is completed."

"Ordinarily resident in Ireland
    You are considered to be ordinarily resident in the Republic of Ireland for a year of assessment if you have been resident in the Republic of Ireland for the three previous tax years. An ordinarily resident person does not stop being ordinarily resident for a tax year unless he or she has not been resident in the Republic of Ireland for the three previous tax years."

Advertisement