Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

No connectiojn all night yesteday from 4 till bedtime...college was cancelled so was in the mood for a game of BF2,.....no chance.....only have got rid of UTV because of connection problems to BF2 server....thought I was finally sorted when I got Metro installed but then a full night of no connection after only one day of playing BF2 on servers!! wasnt impressed....any news on why this has happened? is it going to continue? if it is can we cancel contracts? was sick of UTV and there bulls**t so dont want the same thing to start happening after only signing up to Metro to get rid of connection problems!!

Not unhappy customer yet! but well on the way guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Fair play to the Digiweb guys for being so active on this thread. I'm in the process of buying a house in Ballyboden/Rathfarnham and am looking for a phone&broadband solution, their input here has encouraged me to go for Metro over other providers.

Are you guys expecting a busy period in the lead up to Christmas? We hope to get the keys to our house in the next 2-3 weeks, and are really keen to get the phone&broadband up and running as soon as possible. Any idea what the lead times on installations in the area are like at present? I guess it would be impossible to get a LOS survey done before we get the keys.

One thing I wasn't sure of from the FAQ on your site is how we would sign up for a new phone number and broadband in one go - ie since we don't have an eircom number yet. Would we have to open an eircom account first, then apply via Digiweb to transfer this number to you guys?

Anyone else out there with comments on the Metro phone service? Anyone on Metro in the Ballyboden/Rathfarnham area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I was a bit miffed with the installer he told me there would "never" be a contention ratio problem because it's wireless which I know is utter b******t and really gets my back up.

Well considering wireless is inherently contended as you're sharing a sector with other users, it's a pretty dumb thing to claim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

fullerand wrote:
    One thing I wasn't sure of from the FAQ on your site is how we would sign up for a new phone number and broadband in one go - ie since we don't have an eircom number yet. Would we have to open an eircom account first, then apply via Digiweb to transfer this number to you guys?

Anyone else out there with comments on the Metro phone service? Anyone on Metro in the Ballyboden/Rathfarnham area?

No u don't have to get eircom number, service is nothing to do with eircom.

Phone service works ok, there was a problem with 2way calls, seems to be ok now, just tested it.
    Metro is back up now but fingers crossed will it stay up?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'm getting high latency at the moment, coupled with ping spikes, but downloads are maxing my connection with no problems at all.

Anyone else experiencing high-ish pings? (yes I've already told tech-support)

*edit* I'm also getting a ridiculous amount of packetloss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

yea my connection was out yesterday from about 6 until 4 today. Im connected to the 3rock transmitter. Its going well now so not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

I ordered my Metro with big enthusiasm a week or so ago when the sales lady told me that installation is done within 3 weeks. Yesterday I tried to follow up on an installation date since almost 2 weeks has lapsed (I read here that some guys got their BB installed within 2 weeks), and (a different sales person) informed me it can take 4 weeks or more. I am confused and a little bit annoyed at the service! Hope it's not a reflection on the rest of their service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Obviosuly a backlog, id imagine all sales staff are being told to advise it may take 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

I was quoted 3 weeks for instalation. It turned out to be 6. But id not get too hung up on the delay (unless your running a business). At the end of the day the quality of the service is what counts . As bazH said if there is huge demand there will be a backlog.
    Also im just wondering what sort of download speeds are othere Metro users getting during peak hours. I seam to be getting about 1.5Mb/sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

If there's anyone using the metro service in dundalk, can they report there findings or drop me a pm.

Thanks, considering ordering the service asap.

• Advertisement

Just off the phone with tech support again - still no updates on my packetloss or ping spikes :/

am I really the only one with these problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh speed(3mb) is less than half of what it should be, hope its being fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

I also suggested that, altho I am still willing to pay the 99 euros, i was wondering if i could do the installation myself. Even tho I have a technical background, the answer was no. I don't want to sound naive, but how difficult can it be? You put the antenna box outside, do configuration inside the house, and bingo! If it works, it works. If it doesn't, well then my loss. Besides, I am sure there are plenty capable people on here that is willing to help incase people ran into trouble installing. At the end of the day, it's one person less off Digiweb's list, and I get my BB sooner. Or am i missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well im getting my 4mb DL speed, it grows from 1mb up
    but upload speed is 103k and should be 1mb
    Pings were on average 20-30ms but now are 200-600ms

ikoonman wrote:
    I also suggested that, altho I am still willing to pay the 99 euros, i was wondering if i could do the installation myself. Even tho I have a technical background, the answer was no. I don't want to sound naive, but how difficult can it be? You put the antenna box outside, do configuration inside the house, and bingo! If it works, it works. If it doesn't, well then my loss. Besides, I am sure there are plenty capable people on here that is willing to help incase people ran into trouble installing. At the end of the day, it's one person less off Digiweb's list, and I get my BB sooner. Or am i missing something?

Well tbh, im an electrician and i wouldnt mind someone putting up a socket for me, but i wouldnt let them do the main board, you have to see it from digiwebs side, your paying to get it installed, if they were to hand you the gear and you install it and something goes wrong, they dont want people ringing up support and giving out, besides the installer has to do a field test aswell, for signal.
    Its different for DSL where the line is already there, but the installation of an aerial is a bit different.

Pings + Packetloss were superb about 45 minutes ago - I come back to the PC to try out a bit of gaming and they've jumped back up to > 150ms and 33% p/l :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

zoro wrote:
    Pings + Packetloss were superb about 45 minutes ago - I come back to the PC to try out a bit of gaming and they've jumped back up to > 150ms and 33% p/l :(

What address ru pinging Zoro? Wanna check and see if mine are bad too.

I always use the same few addresses to check.
    www.unreal.ie
    games1.unreal.ie
    and games2.unreal.ie

And I know full well that it's possible that it's a network issue on the SERVER side, but when tracert's to those servers show massive pings to digiweb nodes, then the problems definitely on the digiweb side :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

ikoonman wrote:

Technically you need to ensure you have aimed the aerial in the right direction and have sufficient signal strength. But no company would ever want their customers to self install this stuff. This would just lead to a support nightmare and if something goes wrong you'll bitch here etc. And if you have a crappy signal, you can ruin the service for others as the node would have to resend a lot of packets to you.

digiweb-metro.jpg

On a 3meg/512k line....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

getting only slightly better speeds than that-when its working and its been a bad week for working.

zoro, mine was like yours an hour ago, but has slightly improved, only for pings.

4m/1m line
    now.JPG

it used to be like this
    ohyeahbaby2.JPG

anybody using pingplotter? lots of packet loss.
    Btw why is the service to the US so slow, i get 200-300k on servers over there, i thought digiweb had direct peering to the US.

pings.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Sounds like a rubbish service. Mate of mine got it over a week ago and he's far from happy either.

JimmySmith wrote:
    Sounds like a rubbish service. Mate of mine got it over a week ago and he's far from happy either.

TBH i just think they are going through a rough patch at the moment, but i doubt it will turn into another IBB, as the service is still there, just not at its full speed.

Sparky_S wrote:
    TBH i just think they are going through a rough patch at the moment, but i doubt it will turn into another IBB, as the service is still there, just not at its full speed.

Yeah I'm with Sparky on this - I've little doubt that the service will be top notch when these little teething problems are sorted out. There's not too much to worry about when you've got 2 guys like chaz and crawler keeping an eye on things for us.

We're in good hands tbh, and the fact that the phone staff speak so highly of those 2 as well means alot to me aswell. (the person on the end of the phone was praising you both quite highly guys ... well done :) )

*edit* Although I completely understand why anyone would be annoyed with the service ... I just wanna play my games :(

*edit 2* By the way - is there any way that we can check our data transfer informatino for a given month? I'm wondering how close I am to my cap

*edit 3* :o My pings have finally dropped agian to ~10/20 to games2.unreal.ie ... packetloss is unfortunately sitting at around 5 or 6%, and I've still got ping spikes that jump to around 50/60ms. _HELL_ of a lot better than >150/200 ms though

*edit 4....last one I promise* And it looks like 100% of my packetloss is in the UPSTREAM, not the downstream.

well my speed has improved but my pings are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

60ms is still respectable enough and im sure digiweb will sort out that even in the coming weeks

Jakkass wrote:
    60ms is still respectable enough and im sure digiweb will sort out that even in the coming weeks

Yes it is - not ideal, but perfectly useable in almost all scenarios.

What's 100% NOT acceptable, is that it's not a _stable_ ping.
    I've argued this exact point many, many times, and I still protest that having a ping of ~20ms 90% of the time which spikes to 60ms once every 10 seconds is infintely worse than a constant, 100% ping of 60ms.

It's simply not possible to play any FPS game (or any real time game at all) without a constant, reliable ping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Guys, where are you seeing the pings spikes? Give me some ping plots or trace routes ...

• Advertisement

C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel>tracert games2.unreal.ie

Tracing route to games2.unreal.ie [193.120.200.50]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1   131 ms    22 ms    18 ms  83.147.165.1
      2    14 ms    15 ms    28 ms  gi-0-0-61.dub-deg-br2.net.digiweb.ie [83.147.163
    .161]
      3   364 ms   229 ms    66 ms  gi-0-3-44.dub-deg-br1.net.digiweb.ie [83.147.163
    .34]
      4    46 ms    67 ms    71 ms  fe0-0.br001.inex.esat.net [193.242.111.17]
      5    20 ms    16 ms    22 ms  pos2-3.core002.cwt.esat.net [193.95.131.5]
      6    22 ms    17 ms    19 ms  vlan3.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com [193.95.129.19]
      7    37 ms    44 ms    23 ms  vlan54.rt502.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.162]
      8    58 ms    18 ms    16 ms  vlan515.rt515.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.242]
      9    16 ms    17 ms    34 ms  darwin.unreal.ie [193.120.200.50]

Trace complete.

C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel>tracert games2.unreal.ie

Tracing route to games2.unreal.ie [193.120.200.50]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    20 ms    17 ms    21 ms  83.147.165.1
      2     *       13 ms    21 ms  gi-0-0-61.dub-deg-br2.net.digiweb.ie [83.147.163
    .161]
      3    19 ms    50 ms    18 ms  gi-0-3-44.dub-deg-br1.net.digiweb.ie [83.147.163
    .34]
      4    33 ms    20 ms    29 ms  fe0-0.br001.inex.esat.net [193.242.111.17]
      5    25 ms    51 ms    42 ms  pos2-3.core002.cwt.esat.net [193.95.131.5]
      6    25 ms    66 ms    36 ms  vlan3.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com [193.95.129.19]
      7    35 ms    17 ms    65 ms  vlan54.rt502.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.162]
      8    31 ms    19 ms    24 ms  vlan515.rt515.cwt.esat.net [193.95.130.242]
      9    18 ms    28 ms    39 ms  darwin.unreal.ie [193.120.200.50]

:)

Advertisement