Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

Clondalkin Area, arcane99:

This does sound a bit odd... I'm pretty close to castle view. But it is a line of sight service, so you might be just unlucky and have something in your way... not that that is much use to you...

digitaldr:
    It's an adsl modem router(Belkin F5D7633, 125mb wireless), so it wouldn't connect with the cable connection... Other than that it works just fine with the BT connection!

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Has anyone in Limerick Area got it yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

watty wrote:
    I dont live in the city but i know a few ppl who do and who ordered it and are still waiting
    wasnt it the clarion the put the mast on?
    wouldnt that only cover the city centre or are there more throughtout the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

castletroy area. College Court.

ordered a week now and waiting for something to happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

kaimera wrote:
    castletroy area. College Court.

ordered a week now and waiting for something to happen :)

Don't hold your breath. I ordered on the 8th of September and still have not got it. :( Has anybody got it installed in Cork?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

watty wrote:

ordered it about 3 weeks ago..still haven't even received the direct debit papers..not very promising..don't think the mast is on the clarion as IBB are already using this..think it could be on the new building down there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Airblazer wrote:
    ordered it about 3 weeks ago..still haven't even received the direct debit papers..not very promising..don't think the mast is on the clarion as IBB are already using this..think it could be on the new building down there
    oh ya the riverpoint building
    never thought of that
    its probably the tallest building in limerick right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Airblazer wrote:

It is on the clarion, there is some sort of problem there so we all just
    gotta sit and wait :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

mcloughj wrote:
    Hi. I'm a newbie here, but i have 3mb metro for the last week and a half. SO far so good... almost. A couple of niggly things and maybe some could help.

The good:
    1. Faster than BT by a mile (have seen sustained 350kb/sec downloads)
    2. Good pings [ping 82.195.136.36 came in at 14ms]
    3. Pretty quick installation (less than 2weeks, I'm in clondalkin)

The bad:
    1. Having trouble accessing yahoo mail (via web) really strange.
    2. Can't track download usage
    3. Not much info on website
    4. two emails sent to tech support with no answers.
    5. can access newsgroups through outlook.

The yahoo mail thing is weird. still have my bt connection so when i switch back to it it works fine, on digiweb its a no go.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    funzo.

Your problem could be a number of things.. A misconfigured firewall, a misconfigured web browser which will give you an inability to access secure sites - and last but not least, a misconfigured mtu value on your router should you use one.. Consult with your ISP for it's true value if your router allows you to manually configured your MTU.

In short, disable your firewall, reset your browser settings (tools-->internet options in internet explorer) - If that doesn't work and you are using a router, contact your ISP's support line and ask them what your MTU size should be.

Quick update:

1. Hooked the cable modem to a netgear wireless router and everything is fine.
    2. saw a download spike at 410kb/s which then settled down at 350kb/s

dlofnep:
    Everything has been sorted out since that post, but thanks anyway... you were right on with the incorrect MTU value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 tones_ie

Hi guys..

Been reading up on the Metro deals...have to say they look pretty good..Intrested in the Metro Plus package...

Does anyone know if Kilbarrack (dub13/5) is covered?..

Also...
    Curious as to y theres such a diff in price between the 2 4mb packages...
    Metro Plus 4mb down 90 euro
    Dsl 4 149 euro

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tones_ie wrote:
    Curious as to y theres such a diff in price between the 2 4mb packages...
    Metro Plus 4mb down 90 euro
    Dsl 4 149 euro

For DSL, Digiweb is reselling Eircoms wholesale business DSL services. Eircom sets the wholesale price and Digiweb adds it's own profit margin, costs, etc. But basically Digiweb has very little control over the cost.

For Metro, Digiweb is 100% using it's own network and is therefore in complete control of it's own costs and therefore we are seeing how much it should cost when Eircom isn't ripping you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tones_ie

For DSL, Digiweb is reselling Eircoms wholesale business DSL services. Eircom sets the wholesale price and Digiweb adds it's own profit margin, costs, etc. But basically Digiweb has very little control over the cost.

Thanks man...makes perfect sense now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Applied today, told there would be a waiting time of 4 weeks (I'm in Dublin).

Should I send off the form to get my number ported yet or wait a while? I'm concerned that if I do apply to get my number ported and then discover that I'm not within line of sight when Digiweb come to install, I may be in trouble. Then again I dont want to pay needless months of Eircom line rental when I do get it installed.

Any advice would be much appreciated,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

Im currently into my 5th week. im getting peeved off. have recieved no emails, no contact. im gonna try them tomorrow again. please speed up your installs, metro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leighlin

Is anybody using a remote desktop application such as RealVNC over Meto, or running applications remotely
    How does it perform compared to ADSL? Is there a more noticable Lag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Any More Opinions would be Much Appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

hello, ive been a metro customer now for about 3 days. your service and connection speeds/latency/bandwidth are a massive improvement to the irish broadband connection i used to have.

however, your service is not without it's flaws. and it just has one. just this, tiny, little one.

there seems to be a latency problem at 83.147.163.161
    and 83.147.163.38. Not packet loss (altho a few packets were dropped at those ips), just latency. it will spike to 500 latency every few minutes or so and remain there for a moment or two, then will continue on. it dosnt have a pattern, altho appears to happen every minute or so, if not more. below is a screenshot of the problem.

i do not know why the problem occurs. as you can see, the connection between my radio and the gateway is perfect. this exact same problem happened with irish broadband, however, it seems that digiweb are handling it better. i havnt informed the tech support department of this problem yet.

i really love the job you digiweb guys are doing, great stuff. i downloaded the COD2 demo last night from fileplanet at 400 kB/s. but, at heart, im a gamer. this type of latency problem can cause me distress. ill be getting on to them tomorrow about this, hopefully its something they can remedy.

Now, i know what some of you guys are thinking"theyre gonna be another irish broadband", they wont, trust me. theyre radios are smaller :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Got my install today after 2 weeks which was a short wait i think. Am overall very happy with the service but surfing the net is a little sluggish at times. The page loading stops for a few seconds also the guy installing it told me i won't have the phone service for a week or 2 is this correct? I have a Tele2 light flashing constantly on the modem. Also i bought a cable/dsl wireless router. Do i need passwords and settings in order to get it to work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sluggish on 2 websites i have tried (hotmail and grc), rest are fast as expected.
    I'm in same postion as you mickger, the install fella didn't know when the phone service would be enabled, just said ring up support. I do have same tele2 light flashing and a dial tone but unable to dial out yet as its not enabled at their end.

• Advertisement

mcloughj wrote:
    Quick update:

1. Hooked the cable modem to a netgear wireless router and everything is fine.
    2. saw a download spike at 410kb/s which then settled down at 350kb/s

dlofnep:
    Everything has been sorted out since that post, but thanks anyway... you were right on with the incorrect MTU value.

I'm trying to hook up my new 3com Cable/DSL wireless router. What settings do i need? I have no username or password like with my UTV connection had. Please help i'm confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Digiweb gave you a ip and all of that ya? subnetmask and dns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

mcloughj wrote:

The yahoo mail thing is weird. still have my bt connection so when i switch back to it it works fine, on digiweb its a no go.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    funzo.

That sounds like something involving MTUs; Yahoo notoriously pretends to autoadjust but doesn't.

Ive had it since yesterday and i spent alot of time today testing performance. Download speeds are 345 KB/sec which is very good but i'm very disapointed with the speed when i'm browsing websites. There is definately a pause for a few seconds on some websites while the page is loading and it all seems very sluggish to me. My 2meg UTV connection definately loads pages alot faster. Considering this is 3meg down and 512k up the last thing i expected was for browsing to be slow. Anyone else have this problem? Its kinda taken the gloss of getting the service to be honest :(

mickger:
    I connected the provided cable modem to my wireless router via a cat cable. In other words you don't usernames or passwords, you just need the right kind of router.

Hope this is of some help

mcloughj wrote:
    mickger:
    I connected the provided cable modem to my wireless router via a cat cable. In other words you don't usernames or passwords, you just need the right kind of router.

Hope this is of some help

Thanks mcloughj i got the router thing sorted but i'm still unhappy with browsing. Its still very sluggish with the pages stopping loading for a few seconds then starting again. Are you having any problems like this when browsing??? tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

that doesnt sound very good, are you on basic or plus?

Sparky_S wrote:
    that doesnt sound very good, are you on basic or plus?

I'm on the basic 3mg 512k up package and my 2mg 128k UTV connection is definately loading pages faster which surely should not be happening :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

id like to see if this is common across all users, as i wouldnt like it as id get frustrated, could it be a DNS issue i wonder?

• Advertisement

Sparky_S wrote:
    id like to see if this is common across all users, as i wouldnt like it as id get frustrated, could it be a DNS issue i wonder?
    Its definately frustrating. Hope they can fix it otherwise i'll have to keep my UTV and take the hit for Metro for the 6 months.

Advertisement