Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

How do i go about setting up the phone for Metro?

Wouldn't be able to tell you. Mine is still not working after being installed 3+ wks ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Cheers for the reply maybe someone else might know even though my installer said if i have a problem it will be the telephone service.
    ikoonman wrote:
    Wouldn't be able to tell you. Mine is still not working after being installed 3+ wks ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

The telephone service is off for me the last few hours. I'm in the Waterford area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

How did ya go about setting it up though

mickger wrote:
    The telephone service is off for me the last few hours. I'm in the Waterford area.

How did ya go about setting it up though

Digiweb switch it on all you do is plug a phone into the modem.They email you your new number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

mickger wrote:
    Same her in Dub, Tel2 light is flashing and Tel1 light is off, internet grand though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

gurramok wrote:
    Same her in Dub, Tel2 light is flashing and Tel1 light is off, internet grand though
    same with mine, flashy light is annoying, that and no phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Folks - phones should be working fine - can ye just restart the EMTA (modem) to make sure that you got the full new settings after the upgrades please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

crawler wrote:
    Folks - phones should be working fine - can ye just restart the EMTA (modem) to make sure that you got the full new settings after the upgrades please?
    still a flashing tel2

crawler wrote:

That did the trick,its working again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

crawler wrote:

My lights are no longer flashing, but I've still got an annoying "I HAVE TO SHOUT SO ANYONE CAN HEAR ME" problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

is there a mic vol on your phone?
    that could help, unless theres a setting in digiwebs tech dept. to up the vol a slight bit.

im finding the internet gets slower after 11pm
    im down to this now
    crapagain.JPG

Is there some sort of overnight upgrades going on???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Sparky-s wrote:
    im finding the internet gets slower after 11pm
    im down to this now
    crapagain.JPG

Is there some sort of overnight upgrades going on???

Contention ratio, maybe the other people sharing your line are Counter Strike whores who go online roughly the same times you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Laguna wrote:
    Contention ratio, maybe the other people sharing your line are Counter Strike whores who go online roughly the same times you do!
    Yes, but even if the ISP advertises a 2meg 40:1 contention ratio, i don't think the director of consumer affairs would think it acceptable to supply home users with a stable 1/40th of 2meg. Even though "technically" thats a perfectly acceptable speed.

Contention explains why you shouldn't expect to get full whack 24x7, but you shouldn't get less than half your speed ever unless the problem is with the server you're downloading off.

im on 20:1 on a 4 meg line

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Jesus Sparky your speeds look s***e and wholly unacceptable in my humble opinion, you should not be paying for this, you should be pretty much getting what you pay for these s***e speeds are not even in the same universe. Chaz and Crawler should do their utmost to address this problem as a matter of urgency. A quick review of the thirty preceeding pages of this thread indicates a general slump in the quality of the service Digiweb are presently providing their customers in general, at present my connection is acceptable though NEVER perfect, I hope there are improvments down the line. Are we the beta users of this service, if so should we be paying for something we're not really getting yet. I have NO problem paying for what I get when I get it, if not forget it. YOU are not getting what YOU paid for, you should not be expected to pay for such S***E. Digiweb sort this mess out fast. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

well i must point out that that test was done at 2am my speeds are currently running ok, but im suffering alot of packet loss, which comes and goes.

seems i have to reset my modem every so often to reach my proper speeds.
    i also just out of interest installed a speed tester on a us server to see what the speed is like and mine preforms like this

Download 1,951,312 bps
    Upload 245,080 bps
    QOS 46%
    RTT 168 ms
    MaxPause 179 ms

http://www.sparky-s.com/myspeed/examples.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Sparky-s wrote:
    i also just out of interest installed a speed tester on a us server to see what the speed is like and mine preforms like this

http://www.sparky-s.com/myspeed/examples.html

Ya sure that works?

my.php?image=myspeed3gs.jpg

Strange..............

Edit: Just tried Irish Speed Test and I get a 45meg upload, strange. But irrelevant to this discussion, sorry.

• Advertisement

I'd say try atleast 2 different speed tests before you voice your comments .. and be sure of your facts (i@w !).... sparky-s.com reported that my down is 1.31mbps and up 494kpbs with a QoS of 38%, where irishisptest.com reported that my down is 2.81mbps and up is 496kbps, with a QoS of 89%... clearly these tests are hardly conclusive (nor consistent!)

Go figure!

ikoonman wrote:
    I'd say try atleast 2 different speed tests before you voice your comments .. and be sure of your facts (i@w !).... sparky-s.com reported that my down is 1.31mbps and up 494kpbs with a QoS of 38%, where irishisptest.com reported that my down is 2.81mbps and up is 496kbps, with a QoS of 89%... clearly these tests are hardly conclusive (nor consistent!)

Go figure!

i suppose the best test you can ever do is an ftp transfer from various servers around the world
    Think linux.

Now on how to test uploads, i know i get 1mb to my server in LA anyway.

Btw try this test, but i dont know what server it runs off.
    http://myspeed.visualware.com/?c=_di

I suppose the best indicator of connection speed would be if Digiweb had some way of measuring it (Or at the very least, all customers in Dublin use the same speed tests).

Connecting to some remote server (you may not even know where that is) will not give you definitive results, as there could be too many variables influencing performance between your machine (this does not even include your machine/running apps/processes etc) and the server performing the tests.

Besides, even if the reported speed is low, it may mean that "relatively" you are actually ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Guys - HEAnet is probably the most reliable place to do a test using FTP....most tests ( as you correctly state above) are not all that accurage, but in fairness if you do a few different ones ( irish ISP, DSL reports etc) you should get a good indication....

crawler wrote:
    Guys - HEAnet is probably the most reliable place to do a test using FTP....most tests ( as you correctly state above) are not all that accurage, but in fairness if you do a few different ones ( irish ISP, DSL reports etc) you should get a good indication....

Besides, people that experience problems with pinging etc should consult their router's manual (if they have one), you may need to apply additional configuration to enhance your QoS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

HEANet / Irish ISP tests are definately the ones to use.. not some random server based in a data centre at the other side of the world, no matter how good it is. ikooman tells us why. However HEANet/Irish ISP are probably only worthwhile if your ISP has INEX peering. Most do, but there are some that don't; a treaceroute will tell you.

.cg

ikoonman wrote:
    Besides, people that experience problems with pinging etc should consult their router's manual (if they have one), you may need to apply additional configuration to enhance your QoS

actually that you mention that, ive heard that the linksys wrt54g is terrible for service, so im going to take it out of the network for a few hours and test what the service is like because i have a sneaky feeling that could be adding to problems.

Sparky-s wrote:
    actually that you mention that, ive heard that the linksys wrt54g is terrible for service, so im going to take it out of the network for a few hours and test what the service is like because i have a sneaky feeling that could be adding to problems.

let me know how you get on.... be carefull tho, the wrt54g does provide some firewall (or port blocking) functionality, removing it may put your machine at risk if your windowzzz are not up to date/firewall'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Hi folks,

Has anyone got their number ported over from Eircom yet?

I applied about 2 months ago but have heard nothing yet.

To be honest, I'm thinking it may not be such a great idea if the service is less than fully reliable.

Anyone else have any opionions on the matter?

Thanks
    Robert

• Advertisement

blobert wrote:
    Anyone else have any opionions on the matter?

Well, I grew impatient with my Metro phone service not working and had to cancel my Eircom asap as I could just see money go down drain (no point in paying for Eircom and Digiweb). I still don't get a satisfactory answer re my line not working from Digiweb so I opted to go with Blueface, a VoIP service provider (phone goes into a Linksys PAP2 which plugs into router). It works like a charm over Metro and I did cancel my Eircom.

I decided not to port my home number as (for obvious reasons) i didn't want to pay for Eircom line any longer. And it's a good thing I didn't too! Someone told me that (in his opinion) Eircom deliberately take long to port numbers so they can squeeze the final drop of cents out of you.

Now I cannot help to wonder why Digiweb cannot get my phone working - it does not matter now in any case. Blueface calls work out cheaper than Metro's.

Advertisement