Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Er .. no that isn't working. Your router is doing mad stuff. Unplug it and connect a PC direct. Disable MS Client or MS Client Bindings is as good as a firewall.

If your connection has failed you lose DHCP and otther stuff. Then the ONLY way to get the cable modem configuration page is to change the network card from Dynamic (DHCP assiged / automaic IP address) to Static
    IP 192.168.100.20
    Mask/Subnet 255.255.255.0

Disable any Internet type services on your PC and Remote Desktop help etc.
    (Telnet, Server, Browser, IIS, Personal web, HTTPS etc).

Reboot

Then you can load the web page.

If all is fine then set the PC net card to dynamic and reboot.
    You should be able to connect to Internet on that PC (safely too if no services such as Telnet, IIS or Personal Webservice etc are running)

If you establish that all works without the router go google on routers. I'm not writing a course on them tonight.

But the Router port on the Modem should be automatic IP (DHCP).

The internal lan pPCs should be with STATIC IPs if you want reliable port forwarding for games etc. And a different subnet to address of DHCP and Modem. 192.168.0.x where x is different for every PC and starts at 100 or 1 (never 0).
    Mask 255.255.255.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Thanks - Kaiser managed to get it. Busy with him now trying to get him online :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Chaz wrote:
    Can you connect directly to the modem?

Try 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.100.1 (youll see the right one if you connect to the modem directly - check the IP range it gives you)

If the modem gives you 192.168.100.10 - then use 192.168.100.1 in your browser and visa versa. I cant remebre the default IPs off hand - check what the modem gives you.

My modem gives me .10 if that helps in the hunt for the problem..

Kaiser - your modem is up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i can get into the modem with 192.168.100.1 directly through my linksys router.

mines reseting itself every often im not sure if its yourselfs sending out reboot commands

but heres me anyway, speed was at 900k and upload was normal
    RF Parameters
    Downstream
    Frequency Power -21 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio 21 dB Modulation QAM64
    Upstream
    Frequency Power 55 dBmV
    Upstream Data Rate 5120 Ksym/sec Modulation QPSK

if you need the MTA serial number or mac let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Chaz wrote:
    Kaiser - your modem is up now.
    Checked this morning and all's well again. Thanks a lot for your help :)

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Checked this morning and all's well again. Thanks a lot for your help :)

I managed to get it sorted at around 1am - it was back from then.

All I can say is thank god I didn't cancel my other ISP because my 3Mb Metro has been utterly pointless for almost a month now.

metro.jpg

Metro has just crapped out totally.

Changes were just made to allow for users to roam across upstreams - for most it was seamless - no real drop apart from possible degraded service for a few minutes. Back to normal.

• Advertisement

Adey - PM me your details - you should not being speeds nearly as bad as that.

its funny, my modem reset itself 10mins ago and the phone service didnt come back, not even the flashing light

But my internet seems faster and more responsive without the phone service.

Chaz wrote:
    Adey - PM me your details - you should not being speeds nearly as bad as that.

Chaz, I've just switched back to Metro from my other isp and the connection actually seems much better now. I'll monitor over the next couple of days.

(previous post edited also).

The reason the work was done was to allow for more bandwidth - which seems evident in what you are saying. Small pain for high gain :-)

Sparky - no idea on the phone. No packages have been changed except a few test cases where we are trying to control some parameters - yours wouldnt have been one of them.

Chaz wrote:
    Sparky - no idea on the phone. No packages have been changed except a few test cases where we are trying to control some parameters - yours wouldnt have been one of them.

No idea myself, but it doesnt really bother me as i hardly use the phone and i use the net connection more, but atleast the flashing green light has stopped :D

Chaz wrote:
    The reason the work was done was to allow for more bandwidth - which seems evident in what you are saying. Small pain for high gain :-)

Thanks Chaz,

I realise that the earlier outage was due to changes being made now and it has improved the speed immensely.

CM State			Operational
    Docsis-Downstream Scanning	Complete
    Docsis-Ranging			Complete
    Docsis-DHCP			Complete
    Docsis-TFTP			Complete
    Docsis-Data Reg Complete	Complete
    Telephony-DHCP			In Progress
    Telephony-Security		---
    Telephony-TFTP			---
    Telephony-Reg with Call Server	---
    Telephony-Reg Complete		---

It was
    CM State			Operational
    Docsis-DHCP			Complete
    Docsis-TFTP			Complete
    Telephony-DHCP			Complete
    Telephony-Security		Complete
    Telephony-TFTP			Complete
    Telephony-Reg with Call Server	Complete
    Telephony-Reg Complete		In Progress

The last "in Progress" rather than complete is why the Tel light was flashing and not steady.

Now it is "rolled back" to Telephony-DHCP so that is why no light.

Maybe:
    1) They have given up
    or
    2) It is a good sign and Thomson/Digiweb have found issue with phone and tomorrow it will work!

I'm going to have to cancel Eircom phone line and have no phone anyway if the Digiweb phone doesn't work soon. I can't pay extra and Eircom.

I optimistically posted the number change over form today.

watty wrote:
    I'm going to have to cancel Eircom phone line and have no phone anyway if the Digiweb phone doesn't work soon. I can't pay extra and Eircom.

I optimistically posted the number change over form today.

Ill check in the morning what the story is with your phone. I know there was a new version of firmware sent in today from Thomson.

Actually - can you reboot your modem and see now if it allows anything else? I made a change here that might work - otherwise ill check for you in the morning.

• Advertisement

Unplugged everything and counted to 15 slowly:

CM State            		Operational
    Docsis-Downstream Scanning    	Complete
    Docsis-Ranging            	Complete
    Docsis-DHCP            		Complete
    Docsis-TFTP            		Complete
    Docsis-Data Reg Complete    	Complete
    Telephony-DHCP            	In Progress
    Telephony-Security        	---
    Telephony-TFTP            	---
    Telephony-Reg with Call Server	---
    Telephony-Reg Complete        	---

No "Tel" lights. Brief flash of message LED after all the others finished the initial "light show" and went steady.

No dial tone (there was only when Tel light flashing).

Last night and this morning I note the time & date is empty.

My firmware is still the original:

System
    HW Revision: 4.0
    VENDOR Thomson
    BOOT Revision: 2.1.6.m
    SW Revision: ST67.00.18
    MODEL THG520
    Software Version: ST67.00.18
    Firmware Name: THG520_ST67_00_18.img
    Firmware Build Time: 01:07:42 Jul 20 2005

The last email I had some while ago from support said they were trying to resolve an issue with Thomson.

Unlike retail products such as Dlink WiFi or Dlink routers I can't download an updated firmware myself and install it. I'll have to be patient.

Will check it out this morning.

watty wrote:
    My firmware is still the original:

System
    HW Revision: 4.0
    VENDOR Thomson
    BOOT Revision: 2.1.6.m
    SW Revision: ST67.00.18
    MODEL THG520
    Software Version: ST67.00.18
    Firmware Name: THG520_ST67_00_18.img
    Firmware Build Time: 01:07:42 Jul 20 2005

The last email I had some while ago from support said they were trying to resolve an issue with Thomson.

Unlike retail products such as Dlink WiFi or Dlink routers I can't download an updated firmware myself and install it. I'll have to be patient.

Most Cable Modems dont allow local modification - comes from the US where most providers there had opted for this as a security feature when Cable Modem were being hacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

My modem just burped about fifteen minutes ago here in Limerick and restarted itself.
    Date/Time 		Event ID 	Event Level 	Description
     01/19/2006 22.54 	 82000200 	 03 		No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out 
     01/19/2006 22.54 	 84000200 	 03 		SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing 
     01/19/2006 22.54 	 84000100 	 03 		SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing 
     01/19/2006 22.52 	 82000400 	 03 		Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 timeout

Now the phone system has gone back to flashing light and dial tone but still not working:
    CM State			Operational
    Docsis-DHCP			Complete
    Docsis-TFTP			Complete
    Telephony-DHCP			Complete
    Telephony-Security		Complete
    Telephony-TFTP			Complete
    Telephony-Reg with Call Server	Complete
    Telephony-Reg Complete		In Progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Great Package to start with 3mb Down / 512 up with 30gb download cap but now all the isps, have upped there speeds to 3mb/386 from the 2 mb line with 24gb cap... Metro have any plans in upgrading?Ntl moving to 10mb and Smart more than likely keeping at 6mb.Digiweb Dsl fro 3mb to 4mb.

i wouldnt mind my line changing from 4-->5mb and upload of 1-->2mb

i can only dream :D, come on chaz prove me wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Well to be fair Ibb upped there speeds when the rest of them did... Fair enough it started to get back for ibb then but they still upped from 1-2mb... Like really an isp has to stand out from the rest in order to make progress and atm its not with the other isps following suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Bandwidth has been down a fair bit since Thursday night here in Limerick for me. It's hovering around 2meg down. I was getting a fairly steady ~2.8/2.9meg down all the time up until Thursday.

Advertisement