Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Im getting 7% loss again now.

arg 10%.

Anyone else getting this?

13% packet loss and a 115kb download test on irishisptest.com......ah man.....this is annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

yep..this is taking the piss now...

Oh thank god. I thought it was just me.
    :D

• Advertisement

this is what I'm getting at the moment..sod this

no...speeds just came back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Try a big download from www.heanet.ie ftp.heanet.ie That speed test depends on how many people are using it!

back to normal levels anyway...but the $64,000 question is, for how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Mine is fine all back as it should be.

sdfrerwer.jpg

Im downloading at 420kB/s and uploading @ 115kB/s so all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

sutty wrote:
    I done that the other day, got a very speedy reply from chaz saying he will see what he can do. Then a second to say he said it to the folks in installs... I got a phone call today to see if I was at home for the install to be done. Wasn't so aranged it for monday. Cheers for the help Chaz

Yeah I was told by a supervisor that I would be contacted on thursday and friday about getting installed. Guess what! no call :)

ok..getting small packet loss again..also only seeing 468kb/s down...
    what a pain in the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

gurramok wrote:
    Mine's 29 to jolt and 21 also to boards.

Just to check pings i disconnected my 3com Router and went straight into my Desktop with the Metro modem and i got 30ms to Jolt and 18ms to boards. Looks like my Router was delaying my pings by 40ms. Are you guys using routers with those ping results??? If so which routers are you using???

mickger wrote:
    Just to check pings i disconnected my 3com Router and went straight into my Desktop with the Metro modem and i got 30ms to Jolt and 18ms to boards. Looks like my Router was delaying my pings by 40ms. Are you guys using routers with those ping results??? If so which routers are you using???

nope..no routers

I use a SW "router" (actually a Firewall/Proxy system) on an old P90 with 64M RAM. Uses 24M when running. Two network cards (one to Modem, one to LAN). All un-needed services on the NT4.0 workstation SW are disabled and ALL MS bindings to the Modem connecting Network card.

Works great & Very secure. However it means PINGS can ONLY be tried on that PC and also some applications are a pain as inward, outward, TCP and UDP ports are all different proxies that have to be created. Also no port ranges. Each port individually. However this makes it more secure too as applications inadvertinly installed on PC or doing undocumented things can only communicate with the standard ports.

By default each proxy is logged too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

mickger wrote:

Updated the Firmware on my Router and now i'm getting the same pings with or without the router connected :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

sometimes my linksys router slows things down for me, but just requires a reset every 2 weeks or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

Could anyone who has a working metro phone service, answer 2 questions for me: If you make a call to your Metro number does it sound like a whaling modem? and Did you have to do anything on your computer, firewall or router to get your incoming calls working.

I have been trying to call my number since my phone was activated on the 24th jan. When I call my number I get a whaling modem sound, but the phone doesn't ring. I hope the service isn't working, there's no way that screeching modem is for real :eek: There must be a port that incoming calls come in on or something. I got onto Digiweb about it but they said it should be working, but were a little scant on what I could do to fix the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Asok wrote:
    Yeah I was told by a supervisor that I would be contacted on thursday and friday about getting installed. Guess what! no call :)

BAH!!!! Two guys called out to do the install. (which I took a half day for) (and they wouldn't have if I had not called them to see if they where coming)
    1st off, they didn't have a big enough ladder to get up on a two story building in Dublin! Then tried to fob me off on an other install team for today. When I told them I cant due to taking a half day from work. I said I can rent a lader from the hardware store across the road. So I go over and come back with a 30ft ladder. Nicely it goes up to the roof. So I am happy. Next thing, the lad walks up the lader, goes as far as the roof with his head and says no.. He didn't even get up on the roof that goes up an other 6-7 foot and has chimlys on it. His reasoning being "all the roofs are at the same level" WTF like, I am pretty sure there are no high building in my way. the biggest building I can think of is the Redcow hotel. Simply put, the guy didn't want to do an install, so he made up excuses of why not to get onto the roof. I've rang up digiweb and they are passing me onto the install manager. Or so I have been told.

Freeman wrote:
    Could anyone who has a working metro phone service, answer 2 questions for me: If you make a call to your Metro number does it sound like a whaling modem? and Did you have to do anything on your computer, firewall or router to get your incoming calls working.

I have been trying to call my number since my phone was activated on the 24th jan. When I call my number I get a whaling modem sound, but the phone doesn't ring. I hope the service isn't working, there's no way that screeching modem is for real :eek: There must be a port that incoming calls come in on or something. I got onto Digiweb about it but they said it should be working, but were a little scant on what I could do to fix the problem.

On Modem Status page click on CM State
    If everything is enabled the first line is OPERATIONAL and ALL the other lines say complete.

The regular phone plugs into "Tel1", not "Tel2"

With the phone on hook (hung up), or no phone connected the light should be steady. If flashing it is not working.

When you lift the phone it should flash to show line in use. You must prefix area code when dialing even in your own area.

• Advertisement

The Digiweb metro adaptor is of DOCIS cable type with an adaptor to 10GHz wireless.

The phone connection is dedicated.

The "modem" has no routing or firewall features at all.

No local settings are required or even possible, other than resetting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bokonon

sutty wrote:
    Simply put, the guy didn't want to do an install, so he made up excuses of why not to get onto the roof. I've rang up digiweb and they are passing me onto the install manager.

I got Metro installed yesterday. The two guys who came out to do the install had a series of "problems".

The main guy was called Kieran. First, he wanted to know if I had the landlord's permission for the install. I had, I told him, whereupon he spent some time trying to convince me that I hadn't - that the building was protected and that the landlord didn't realise this. (This despite the fact that there are a couple of IBB antennae on the building already.) I satisfied him in the end by telling him that the landlord had contacted Metro and got the dimensions of the aerial and that it was within acceptable dimensions for an aerial (which it is, indeed it's smaller than IBB's).

Surveying the situation from the ground, the next problem Kieran foresaw was that they would not be able to install the cable through the window-frame as this is company policy. The building is an old red-brick which has a protected facade - so the window frame was the only option. (This is apparently policy for Secure IT, the installation company, who subcontract for Metro as well as Irish Broadband and others. If anyone reading this is planning to get Metro installed and was hoping to go through the window frame, you may be out of luck.) I ignored this complaint for now and brought Kieran up onto the roof where his next issue was with the chimney over my apartment.

This chimney would not do as it its line-of-sight from Three Rock was obscured. (How he knew *exactly* where Three Rock was without a compass I couldn't understand.)

Anyway, I told him the next chimney down was part of the same apartment complex. The front-door key even works in both buildings, I could bring him in. He wouldn't believe me. I asked him why he believed me when I told him I had my landlord's permission, but he won't believe me when I tell him that the next building is also with the same landlord. Because you have keys to your apartment he said. I have keys to next door as well, I said, the same key works in both! I could call the landlord. He couldn't do the install, he said.

I completely blew a fuse - I had been simmering from the beginning but this was too much, he plainly and obviously wanted to go without doing the install. So I told him that he obviously never intended to install the thing at all. I ranted and raved at him, both of us up on the roof, and he ended out calling his boss - Paul - and handed me over to him, where there was another argument. In the end Paul told Kieran to do the job - including putting the cable through the window-frame.

Between Paul and Kieran, the arguing went on for at least half-an-hour. The work itself (performed under a cloud) took about an hour and a half and I've got to say, they really did a great job.

However, it seemed very obvious to me, from the moment I saw the guys appear, that they did not want to do the install. Speaking to the quieter fella on the side, I was told that they had eleven further jobs on that day (this was around 1pm).

It occurred to me that demand is currently outweighing supply for wireless installation in Dublin (hence the long wait for an install). So the installation company has the option of choosing the less complicated, less time-consuming jobs. There are undoubtedly situations where installations are impossible, but the approach of the installation team (that I met) was to find a show-stopper problem, or another, or another, and get out of there ASAP. I'm positive that Metro is losing customers because of this. But I suppose that's full employment for you - as a friend of mine said, if a team of Polish guys showed up they would have been delighted to do the job!

Heres an interesting question.

Do they get paid if they go out to do the job and they cant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

they are the same lads i had to do my install, it had to be put on a neighbours wall, but i had no problems with them, but they did say to me that they are under pressure to do a lot of installs a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

bokonon: I had a similar ish problem with regard to getting a cable into my apartment.
    To put it plainly - I was told that no drilling would be allowed.

Twas all sorted quickly and easily by filtering the cable through an airvent in my room. Genious little solution that works like a charm :)

The guy in limerick was great.no hassle whatsoever and a dead sound chap...he drilled a hole through my aluminium bedroom window frame (kinda neglected to mention this to the landlord)..he also gave me his number so that if i moved house he'd come out and survery first to ensure that i could still get metro broadband..now this is what i call service:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

On Modem Status page click on CM State
    If everything is enabled the first line is OPERATIONAL and ALL the other lines say complete.

The regular phone plugs into "Tel1", not "Tel2"

With the phone on hook (hung up), or no phone connected the light should be steady. If flashing it is not working.

When you lift the phone it should flash to show line in use. You must prefix area code when dialing even in your own area.
    Modem status page is as you say. I do have the phone in TEL1. The LED only flashes when I pick up the handset, so that's fine too. The problem is not when dialling out, it is when dialling in. I have tried calling from a landline and o2 and vodafone mobiles, no luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

bokonon your not in the D8 area are you? Just down by james hospital. I know the lads who came out to me where there just before hand. So I have no idea what the story is.

But I have to agree, the lad didn't even look for the antena of 3 rock. He just went up to lowest roof hight and said no, as the "roofs where all the same hight" which instantly poped into my head as being the worse excuse I have ever heard. I'm going to contact the digiweb sales team again and ask to be put through the install manager out there and have some words.

As for drilling a hole, there is no need, as the IBB hole (which was uninstalled since last friday) should surfice for their cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Funny Metro installers didn't have a problem drilling an access hole through my timber window frame, did a great job with the install, were effecient and pleasant and careful from what I could see. On-site care from Metro:10/10.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Hughesy

Airblazer wrote:
    The guy in limerick was great.no hassle whatsoever and a dead sound chap...he drilled a hole through my aluminium bedroom window frame (kinda neglected to mention this to the landlord)..he also gave me his number so that if i moved house he'd come out and survery first to ensure that i could still get metro broadband..now this is what i call service:)

Have to reiterate what Airblazer said, Andy of AC Digital was top notch!!!:D

Advertisement