Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

my metro is down, it must be the rain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

Sparky-s wrote:
    my metro is down, it must be the rain.
    where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

It's working much better now...
                                 My traceroute  [v0.67]
    char20 (0.0.0.0)(tos=0x0 psize=64 bitpattern=0x00)     Tue Feb  7 20:50:14 2006
    Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                           Packets               Pings
     Host                                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 83.147.171.1                      0.0%   116   13.0  12.7   8.9  29.4   3.4
     2. gi-0-1-60.lmk-ar1.net.digiweb.ie  0.0%   116   16.5  15.8   9.4 164.6  14.6
     3. gi-0-2-45.dub-deg-br1.net.digiwe  0.0%   116  196.3  36.9  15.4 365.2  54.7
     4. panama-inex.hosting365.ie         0.0%   116   20.8  20.8  14.4  49.0   4.1
     5. corerouter1.hosting365.ie         0.0%   116   30.1  25.2  18.2  54.2   6.3
     6. boards.ie                         0.0%   116   21.0  24.9  18.2  53.8   5.8

The firmware was updated - not sure if that was the problem though.

Firmware Build Time 20:54:38 Jan 24 2006

Is my signal indicated by : "Power -2 dBmV"?

regards,
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

It's working much better now...
                                 My traceroute  [v0.67]
    char20 (0.0.0.0)(tos=0x0 psize=64 bitpattern=0x00)     Tue Feb  7 20:50:14 2006
    Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                           Packets               Pings
     Host                                Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 83.147.171.1                      0.0%   116   13.0  12.7   8.9  29.4   3.4
     2. gi-0-1-60.lmk-ar1.net.digiweb.ie  0.0%   116   16.5  15.8   9.4 164.6  14.6
     3. gi-0-2-45.dub-deg-br1.net.digiwe  0.0%   116  196.3  36.9  15.4 365.2  54.7
     4. panama-inex.hosting365.ie         0.0%   116   20.8  20.8  14.4  49.0   4.1
     5. corerouter1.hosting365.ie         0.0%   116   30.1  25.2  18.2  54.2   6.3
     6. boards.ie                         0.0%   116   21.0  24.9  18.2  53.8   5.8

The firmware was updated - not sure if that was the problem though.

Firmware Build Time 20:54:38 Jan 24 2006

Is my signal indicated by : "Power -2 dBmV"?

regards,
    Dave

Your modem was doing odd things and would have been replaced if this didnt fix it. The power could be -2 yes - average to strongish signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

thanks Chaz!

Customer Support said that it might need to be replaced alright...but, seems ok now..

regards,
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

pings + p/l all over the shop tonight - dublin, phibsboro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have 12.5km path and signal only about 2dB worse in heavy rain.

There was a tropical style downpower some while ago that wiped out all 6 of my sat feeds for 5 minutes. But it was so heavy the street lights came on with the darkness of it. That has only happend once in last 6 years.

Yes support told me mine was dead (nothong all day friday) and needed replaced but it is back as it was before now.

Airblazer wrote:
    where are you based?

Dublin Terenure, it always gos when there is any rain, internet stops and then a minute later the modem stays flashing on the first LED till any rain stops

granted now my power is bad (-21 dBmV)

Entire thing died earlier on - no sign of anything for a while. Took 2 modem resets to fix it.

Tech support haven't a clue as everything checks out on their end ...
    *shrugs*

Experimenting by slowly wiggling the aerial I deduce minimum RX signal for operation is about -17dBmW

is -21dBmV your TX or RX power?

I'm doing my 1st ever big download 540Mbyte. It started at 287kBytes/s and slowed after a while to 177K Bytes/s. From Finland.

I don't think thats too bad for a 40:1 contention 3M bits/s

• Advertisement

My modem is like a disco with the lights all flashgin _right now_
    yet my connection still works

connection just died - lights are flashing in different orders now, and connectino still works.

What the f*ck is going on here <horribly p*ssed with digiweb today>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I just got installed today (on three rock).

Speeds are 5-6x faster than my 2meg IBB connection. I'm getting 310kB/sec off heanet.

Packetloss is a bit less than IBB, currently averaging a nice 5%. That i'm not too happy about! There seems to be loss between me and the gateway. How can i check my signal strength and suchlike? The modem thingy is connected via the ethernet interface.

Well there's something not right at the moment. And I'm in position 5 in the support queue.

*edit* 16 mins on hold now
    Is anyone else having this problem?

10% packetloss. I'll be logging a call i think...

edit: Position 6 :P

Position 3 :p

I was asked if I could do this all again, would I go with Digiweb?
    And I honestly don't know.

I'm in Phibsboro, which is a bit of an internet blackspot, I can't get ANYTHING here, except wireless broadband. (there's no phone line in the apartment)
    If I had a phone line, and could do this all again, then without a shadow of a doubt I'd go no where near Digiweb.

Up until today I'd have given a different answer, but I'm not a happy camper now. (billing issues now, on top of the technical difficulties that were initially blamed on my own pc)

38 mins on hold now

ffs hire some staff

i'm right behind ya in the queue. 27 mins so far for me. Be fast so i don't have to wait long :P

53 mins in the queue. 5 mins on the phone.
    And nothing's wrong with my connection.

_****_ sake

_AND_ they just cost me 20 f*cking euro in credit.

Oh

My

God

I want to f*cking scream...:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

Rightio then...

Chaz: I'm experiencing a lot of packetloss on the connection. It started off fairly good earlier on, but gradually got worse and worse, peaked at 20% loss, and is moving down to about 15% loss at the moment.

Tech support told me engineers would be alerted to the issue, but if i don't get this resolved within a week, the connections coming out. I've had enough of IBB, and i just can't take it again with metro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I believe Eircom is doing a free line connection promo at the minute. Might put an end to your problems once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

zoro wrote:
    connection just died - lights are flashing in different orders now, and connectino still works.

What the f*ck is going on here <horribly p*ssed with digiweb today>

if you dont mind me asking, if it was working, why did you call tech support?

Signal to Noise Ratio 35 dB

I assume that's a good value?

event wrote:
    if you dont mind me asking, if it was working, why did you call tech support?

No I dont' mind at all.
    It was disconnecting and reconnecting on and off for about 5 mins. All while the modem was doing it's disco-ball impression.
    So I rang them, was on hold for 53 mins, during which time I had intermittent connectivity.

When I finally got through it was all ok again.
    Such is the cycle of support lines.

watty wrote:
    is -21dBmV your TX or RX power?

its my RX power watty, my TX is 55 dBmV.

im on a 20:1 ratio 4mb pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Ping statistics for [url]www.boards.ie:[/url]
    Packets: Sent = 22095, Received = 21863, Lost = 232 (1% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 13ms, Maximum = 317ms, Average = 31ms

was running this for a good part of the day.
    We had our connection installed last week. since then we have only ever noticed it drop for small periods, say 5mins. and they dont happen very often.

Bad to hear such problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Madong

is this the IBB thread? man seems like ground hog day

Sparky-s wrote:

I think you need to trim intervening trees, knock down a building or move your antennna.

TX 55dBmV is FULL power.
    It definately is not reliable below -17dBmV RX.

About 20dB S/N seems to be a usuable minimum. Anything above 26dB S/N should be fine.

My settings:
    Downstream
    Frequency		Power	-4 dBmV
    Signal to Noise Ratio	29 dB	Modulation	QAM64
    Upstream
    Frequency		Power	40 dBmV

I had about 23dB S/N, -9 to -11 dBmV Rx and 50 to 55dBmV TX power, all quite variable before I trimmed some branches.

Now it does not vary by more than 1dB on any figure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Sparky-s wrote:

Sparky-s, you have still not had the service call I was trying to arrange for you last year. Your signals are poor and is not a representation of what 99% of the other clients are seeing. Your install should not have gone ahead due to this - If it cannot be fixed or repointed I suggest that your service is removed as it does not meet the install criteria for acceptable signals.

Regards

Advertisement