Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

mines up and running at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Grand here since the firmware upgrade

watty wrote:
    Grand here since the firmware upgrade

i havnt got a firmware upgrade yet

Is your Firmware July 05 or Jan 06?

june or july afaik, ill have to check later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Hughesy

My BB has been crap all weekend....

Anyone elese expierience problems in limerick???

ALso, i noticed that after metro took out the initial €237.99, they took another €42.35 14 days later!!!

what program are you using to show those stats?

Sparky-s wrote:
    what program are you using to show those stats?

they are now available on www.irishisptest.com

they require you to register though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Hughesy wrote:
    My BB has been crap all weekend....

Anyone elese expierience problems in limerick???

ALso, i noticed that after metro took out the initial €237.99, they took another €42.35 14 days later!!!

They did the same with me, took 312.65 a couple of weeks ago and 42.65 on the 24th of Feb. Have metro since October and am not sure how they got the figure of 312.65 and then to charge me 42.65 last week:mad:

mickger wrote:
    They did the same with me, took 312.65 a couple of weeks ago and 42.65 on the 24th of Feb. Have metro since October and am not sure how they got the figure of 312.65 and then to charge me 42.65 last week:mad:

Only had mine since December!!!

Will be making a phonecall tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I got my invoice with 7 days notice for when the cash was going to be taken out and it was exactly when I expected it to arrive. One thing im wondering about was when did the free install offer for metro close?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Metro die completely at around 22:45 last night for anyone else?

*edit* Just off the phone with tech support ... planned outage for network upgrades.
    Good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

ffs!digiweb are reallt starting to annoy me,ever since i ordered it the pings have been so inconsistent constant 300ms+,have been told at least 6 times problem would be reolved soon,was told 4 weeks ago it would be resolved defineately in 3-4 weeks AT THE MOST,now he's telling me around 2 months to go,ive had enough,paying 42euro for decent latency i was promised and they cant even do that ive had enough,gonna cancell dd soon,give ibb a try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

persian wrote:
    ffs!digiweb are reallt starting to annoy me,ever since i ordered it the pings have been so inconsistent constant 300ms+,have been told at least 6 times problem would be reolved soon,was told 4 weeks ago it would be resolved defineately in 3-4 weeks AT THE MOST,now he's telling me around 2 months to go,ive had enough,paying 42euro for decent latency i was promised and they cant even do that ive had enough,gonna cancell dd soon,give ibb a try

PM me your details please so that I can have it looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

54 Pages. Cant browse that on this connection.

I live in the city center (parliament St). i need to change provider and quick. Clearwire is NOT broadband.

Anyone by dublin castle willing to pm with whether the connection is worth going with or not? My connection is bad i cant browse 54 pages at 2+ mins each......

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Hi all,

I got an answer from Metro Customer Support today on the problems I was having up till 19-feb-2006.

The problems are here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50913718&postcount=1012

I got this from a CS person today:

"The reason the speed is gone so slow is that you
    have been placed in restriction. This is because you went over the 30gig
    traffic allowance in 30 days. This should return to normal in about a
    week, the speeds should be fine then. "

The 30G is combined upload and download.

At any rate, it's worth noting that Digiweb are implementing QOS on people going over the traffic allowance (which is good, as they can ensure that the service doesn't attract too many downloaders - wireless can't handle that as well as wired broadband options IMHO)

regards,
    Dave

A complaint was sent to customer service on saturday night. Since yesterday afternoon, the upload and download speeds are back to normal.

It does looks like a QOS "traffic shape" was applied to my IP....but I'll probably never know.

regards,
    Dave

Hard capping has been applied - correct. We will have traffic stats available by Friday hopefully so that users can accurately track their usage. Capping is done based on usage and Acceptable User Policy - we try to be 'fair' with this. Simply put - caps have to be enforced at some level otherwise you end up with degraded and poor service for all. We let clients free reign - the stats were shocking to say the least - in fairness to everyone capping will be enforced where deemed neccessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

Hi new here,
    I've just got metro installed yesterday and im not happy to say the least. (In Dundalk)
    I run a few tests on www.irishisptest.com
    and the results are shocking to say the least.

Download Speed: 162kbps (my old 512k connection gave me better)
    Upload Speed: 226kbps
    Quality Of Service: 15%
    Round Trip Time: 120 ms
    Max Pause: 813ms

I then run the test again and these are even worse

Download Speed: 88.7kbps (not much better than a 56k modem)
    Upload Speed: ??? thats what i got could not be determined
    Quality Of Service: 2%
    Round Trip Time: 162ms
    Max Pause: 2359ms

I've also tried connecting to an EA UK Official bf2 server and my ping was steady between 90-200. Now thats just crap. If this is what I can expect from there metro service which btw I changed too because they told me it was more reliable than there old wireless service I wont be staying long. Well on those dl times its no better.

I also did the download test on pcpitstop.com and its download was 27kb/s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

yeh chaz,sorry m8 but im about to flip,tonight was often hitting the thousands impossible for gaming,i know theres nothing you can dobut talking with alot of digiweb customers the horrible pings are really pissing alot of people off,excuse the language,my 27 consecutive clan match missed cause of the latency

persian wrote:
    yeh chaz,sorry m8 but im about to flip,tonight was often hitting the thousands impossible for gaming,i know theres nothing you can dobut talking with alot of digiweb customers the horrible pings are really pissing alot of people off,excuse the language,my 27 consecutive clan match missed cause of the latency

Perhaps if you can show me exactly where you are seeing these problems - ping plotter or similar ...

• Advertisement

Hi new here,
    I've just got metro installed yesterday and im not happy to say the least. (In Dundalk)
    I run a few tests on www.irishisptest.com
    and the results are shocking to say the least.

Download Speed: 162kbps (my old 512k connection gave me better)
    Upload Speed: 226kbps
    Quality Of Service: 15%
    Round Trip Time: 120 ms
    Max Pause: 813ms

I then run the test again and these are even worse

Download Speed: 88.7kbps (not much better than a 56k modem)
    Upload Speed: ??? thats what i got could not be determined
    Quality Of Service: 2%
    Round Trip Time: 162ms
    Max Pause: 2359ms

I've also tried connecting to an EA UK Official bf2 server and my ping was steady between 90-200. Now thats just crap. If this is what I can expect from there metro service which btw I changed too because they told me it was more reliable than there old wireless service I wont be staying long. Well on those dl times its no better.

I also did the download test on pcpitstop.com and its download was 27kb/s.

PM me your details - none of that sounds right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The 30G is combined upload and download.

Ehh...shouldn't that be 40gigs up + down?

30 down and 10 up?

Or did we get robbed of 10 gigs of cap? :confused:

Anyway, good to see that usage tracking will be up soon.

30 Gig on basic Metro Package.

The irishispspeedtest is not accurate. It often shows only about 100KBytes/s download when heanet.ie is giving me 287Kbytes/s

You need to ping a range of servers as some may not be stable routes anyway, again, ping to www.heanet.ie or ftp.heanet.ie may be more reliable indication of performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It depends on what you want to measure. By using something like heanet you're only testing your own connection and Digiweb's internal backhaul. INEX connectivity is very cheap and the ISP's seem to have an abundance of bandwidth available there. I've found that reliable good ISP's give good performance to much anything, including irishisptest.com. It's not super reliable or anything, but with Eircom's ADSL I've never had it misreading by much. Something to consider.

With an ISP all I'm really interested in testing IS my own connection and the ISP local backhaul.

No point in testing anything else if that isn't working (as is often the case with some other ISPs).

Unless you know how the networks are organised (which by nature of Internet can vary even during a test), testing anything else may be misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Then heanet is for you. I would think most people are interested in good performance from places other than INEX, hence my comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭lifegamer

kaimera wrote:
    Ehh...shouldn't that be 40gigs up + down?

30 down and 10 up?

Or did we get robbed of 10 gigs of cap? :confused:

Anyway, good to see that usage tracking will be up soon.

I have had major cap issues with metro service. On 15th of feb they told me that I have gone over my 30 day quota. When you hit the quota they dont charge you for going over limit. Instead they drop your speed to ISDN speeds thus preventing you from downloading anything. Realistically it's impossible to download much with ISDN download speeds of 10 - 15 k/b. I used 15GB download and 15GB upload apparently. As I am a web designer I do quite a lot of FTP'ing, hence the upload. Toady is 2nd of march and BB speed was changed on 15th feb.

Therefore that means of a 30 day measurement of cap I was only 15 days into the billing month before I used 30GB. 2GB a day? I highly doubt I could use that much. Pretty much i've had a useless service (all I can do is open web pages and een that is bad at times!) and when I say called I got different answers from them such as your broadband will be switched back in a few days and oh no your over cap and it'll be restored 1st march yada yada yada.... i've given up.

Magnet are coming to my area and they offer a 4M line for €38 with 100GB cap (100GB is bigger than my laptop HD so should be fine!!)

Up until 15th feb digiweb were a great service but if I keep going over my cap while trying to design websites then they just aren't for me.

Haven't used their voice service but it was a few months after the install before they issued me with a number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Chaz wrote:
    30 Gig on basic Metro Package.
    it's 30GB down AND 10Gb up

^^seem familiar?
    I received that from you when I queried the upload and download cap. No mention of what service you had to be on.

Now it's changed to 30gigs up + down?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mickger wrote:

Any chance of any of the Metro reps giving us some idea of what Metro's billing in the future is likely to be? The silence is deafening so far. I certainly would not want to recommend Metro to anyone no matter how good the tech side might if the billing is going to be as unpredictable in the future.

Advertisement