Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

When are digiweb going to sort out the phone service?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

lifegamer wrote:
    I have had major cap issues with metro service. On 15th of feb they told me that I have gone over my 30 day quota. When you hit the quota they dont charge you for going over limit. Instead they drop your speed to ISDN speeds thus preventing you from downloading anything. Realistically it's impossible to download much with ISDN download speeds of 10 - 15 k/b. I used 15GB download and 15GB upload apparently. As I am a web designer I do quite a lot of FTP'ing, hence the upload. Toady is 2nd of march and BB speed was changed on 15th feb.

Therefore that means of a 30 day measurement of cap I was only 15 days into the billing month before I used 30GB. 2GB a day? I highly doubt I could use that much. Pretty much i've had a useless service (all I can do is open web pages and een that is bad at times!) and when I say called I got different answers from them such as your broadband will be switched back in a few days and oh no your over cap and it'll be restored 1st march yada yada yada.... i've given up.

Magnet are coming to my area and they offer a 4M line for €38 with 100GB cap (100GB is bigger than my laptop HD so should be fine!!)

Up until 15th feb digiweb were a great service but if I keep going over my cap while trying to design websites then they just aren't for me.

Haven't used their voice service but it was a few months after the install before they issued me with a number

I was throttled as well around same time as you.
    My traffic was 26gb down, 7gb up over 30days so i went 3gb over.

My connection has been restored for a few days now, just keep pestering them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭lifegamer

gurramok wrote:
    I was throttled as well around same time as you.
    My traffic was 26gb down, 7gb up over 30days so i went 3gb over.

My connection has been restored for a few days now, just keep pestering them!

Oh i do! I keep calling every day. even if its only to hear the same thing over again. Just want them to have a log to say i've called x amount of times on the issue!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

lifegamer wrote:
    Oh i do! I keep calling every day. even if its only to hear the same thing over again. Just want them to have a log to say i've called x amount of times on the issue!

Do they email you if they are going to 'throttle' you? If not it would seem an extraordinary omission....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭lifegamer

dub45 wrote:
    Do they email you if they are going to 'throttle' you? If not it would seem an extraordinary omission....

They did not email me at all about the cap! Only found out they do this because I called and asked what was up with the speed!

They're at it again just now they sent an email to say I owe them €311.41. I have no idea when payment is due so didn't have the money ready on my card for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

How will, or will the QOS affect the phone service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

The stuff I wrote about Irishisptest and Eircom etc above can safely be ignored. I just tested it and I'm getting about a quarter of the speed I'm getting from more reliable speed testing sites in places like the UK. So Irishisptest seems to be unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The phone uses separate bandwidth.
    I think the link can run at 5Mbps both way.

Digiweb are sending me a reciept for whatever they take from Credit Card, which no doubt will be what was agreed.

Thanks Blaster99. Though I find being correct too often about technology is not popular.
    No-one likes a clever dick. Especially no-one likes a clever-dick that's right
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Getting really bad lag again, happened last night aswell. this is getting annoying. It seems that digiweb are unable to provide a stable service. When it's good, it's good, but it's just not consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

me2 adey,this is a ****ing joke,ive had enough,if the **** latency isnt sorted by the end of the week,im cancelling my direct debit,7 months of broken promises and bull**** latency is enough

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

i take it none of ye are in the limerick area..apart from about 3 days where i had latency probs i've been running smoothly over 3 months..can't complain about that..however judging from all the mails not just on digiweb but IBB.Eircom,BT etc the sooner isp's realise that broadband is no longer a luxury but a necessity is when we'll finally have reliable broadband across ireland etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Only prob we're having in Limerick is the phone service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Cool,

When it gets near personal and I get PMs like this - I have tried to explain to this person and others what is going on - no point in fighting with me about it.

ffs

FFS,the latency is getting even worse past 2 days have been a joke even when its just me using the connection,i think my next dd payment is the 1rst of april,if problem isnt COMPLETELY FIXED by then i'm cancelling my dd,i know its not your fault but ive had enough

- then I withdraw from the thread and all support. Please do not PM me - I will not respond.

Thanks

So what is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

The metro connection today is probably one of the worst I've ever had to endure since I had it installed.

Latency, which they (argueably) rightly refuse to guarantee, is flutuacting wildly from 21ms to 1221ms to a games server that's located in Dublin. Needless to say that this connection is ridiculously unplayable on. But, as is so often the case in Ireland I'm stuck as there's not a single other option available to me.

Amazing isn't it? Living in the country's capital - in its city center no less, and I've no choice but to pay an extortionate amount of money to Eircom (which I refuse to do out of principle) to have a phone line installed, so that I can get the excuse for DSL that's available to 50% of the population of the country from a reseller, wait "another 6 months" for NTL to get it's ass in gear, go for some form of IBB product (which is laughable, to say the least), or stick with this connection which when it works is superb. Unfortunately, that situation hasn't come about all that much recently.

Ah sure, isn't Ireland great?

*edit*
    And on top of all this, I speak to friends in Sweden who laugh at me from their 100meg connection to the net, who simply can't comprehend how the ISP's in this country can possibly get away with an upload speed of 128k for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Hi all,

Things are okay on my connection in Limerick since Sunday 19th Feb.
    I'm getting full speeds most of the time:
    char20:~# curl -o /dev/null http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/centos/4.2/isos/i386/CentOS-4.2.ServerCD-i386.iso
      % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                     Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
      0  558M    0 5257k    0     0   336k      0  0:28:21  0:00:15  0:28:06  352k

The phone doesn't work for outgoing calls, but does work for incoming calls.

Chaz,
    I know you have done a lot of this support off your own bat, thanks for the help you gave me..

regards,
    Dave

zoro wrote:
    Ah sure, isn't Ireland great?

Seems because you've dismissed ADSL, you've dug your own grave. I presume you paid Digiweb about €100 to get that stuff installed? No real difference paying Eircom to install a phone line, is there? And you'll even get a voice service that works.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Seems because you've dismissed ADSL, you've dug your own grave. I presume you paid Digiweb about €100 to get that stuff installed? No real difference paying Eircom to install a phone line, is there? And you'll even get a voice service that works.

I don't own the apartment I'm in at the moment.
    By paying Eircom that money I'm getting a line that is in no way whatsoever guaranteed a broadband connection ... regardless of where I am in the country.

Sure, I could risk it, incur the cost myself for a line that may give me the connection I want. But paying Digiweb to install their hardware was infinitely easier, quicker, and did not involve paying a company that has been actively holding back the development of broadband, and the telecommunications infrastructure of the entire country for decades.

*unhappy* :/

Isn't the norm to get the landlord to pay for the install in any event? Once the line is in, it's cheap or free to disconnect and reconnect depending on the tenant's wishes.

I agree, eircom's complete inability to do a line install combined with a broadband install is pathetic at best. That shouldn't be your risk to take and it shouldn't take months to get broadband enabled once the line is installed. But the only way they will wake up is by competition. Unfortunately that hasn't worked out for you.

You're not in Smart territory are you? They usually get everyone connected to enabled exchanges, whatever eircom thinks about it. You still have to go through the LLU hoops which I'm sure take a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Didn't you read? Like the MAJORITY of people zoro can't get adsl. Or UPC's NTL/Chorus cable .

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    Isn't the norm to get the landlord to pay for the install in any event? Once the line is in, it's cheap or free to disconnect and reconnect depending on the tenant's wishes.
    The only reason for getting a phone line installed, would be for me to get broadband. I accepted the fact that there was no phone line in the apartment when I moved in.
    If the I were to request the line to be installed, I would expect to have to foot the bill. It's sole reason would be for my ADSL requirements.

But the only way they will wake up is by competition.
    Not so - I may be only one person, but they're not getting my money. I can vote with my feet, and that is what I am choosing to do. For now at least.

You're not in Smart territory are you?.....You still have to go through the LLU hoops which I'm sure take a month.
    Again, I'd need a phone installed. And that line may end being one of those split-lines that I read about so often. Which would make it completely useless for broadband, either with Smart, Esat or Eircom.

watty wrote:
    Didn't you read? Like the MAJORITY of people zoro can't get adsl. Or UPC's NTL/Chorus cable .
    Iwouldificouldbuticant .... unfortunately.

watty wrote:

We're not talking Ballygobackwards here. The guy's in Dublin city centre, of course he can get ADSL. The likelihood of that line being split is so small I wouldn't even worry about it. eircom uses or used split lines in Ballygobackwards typically.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

The connection has been brutal today. Im on the 3rock mast.

Heres my ping results:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Fergal Leonard>ping -n 20 www.ati.com

Pinging a674.g.akamai.net [84.203.253.231] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=161ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=498ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=84ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=103ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=2078ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=114ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=242ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=163ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=56ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=153ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=52ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=57
    Reply from 84.203.253.231: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=57

Ping statistics for 84.203.253.231:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 43ms, Maximum = 2078ms, Average = 220ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Fergal Leonard>

Anyone else on the 3rock mast with this problem? Its like 56K speeds.

Blaster99 wrote:
    We're not talking Ballygobackwards here. The guy's in Dublin city centre, of course he can get ADSL. The likelihood of that line being split is so small I wouldn't even worry about it. eircom uses or used split lines in Ballygobackwards typically.

But I still have to give money to the company that's holding back this country's broadband... which I have a problem with.
    For now at least.

NL: Yup - horrendous connection tonight, and I'm on the 3rock mast too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

my connection has been depressing for the last 4 days, i am nearly convinced that i have been moved to the 3/512k package as speeds are ****e

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

zoro wrote:
    But I still have to give money to the company that's holding back this country's broadband... which I have a problem with.
    For now at least.

NL: Yup - horrendous connection tonight, and I'm on the 3rock mast too.

What will waging a one man campaign get you except lousy broadband?:rolleyes:

Its not going to make a blind bit of difference to Eircom anyways and if everyone adopted your attitude Eircom would say there is no demand for BB so the situation would be even worse..............

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

Crap-tac-ular connection tonight. am probably going to dump this service soon, especially now that NTL is available in my area. Even though i signed up for this months ago I've never 100% trusted the connection and have always had my BT connection on backup. I've never bothered hooking a phone up to the modem because it didn't work for the first few months, and nothing that i read here made me think that the quality of it would be acceptable. i haven't used my BT connection in months, but i think it may be time to give my notice to digiweb and break my ties.

On the upside, i've always found the customer service to be good, and Chaz's efforts here have not gone unnoticed.

but i think enough is enough.

dub45 wrote:
    What will waging a one man campaign get you except lousy broadband?:rolleyes:
    The most depressing thing about this country is it's citizen's apathy towards sub-standard services, and the monopolistic practices of Eircom. Will one person make a difference? Not in any measurable way, no.
    But it's a start at least.

I've probably been one of the biggest thorns in Digiweb's side regarding the Metro broadband package - but if I'm not receiving an acceptable service then I have every right to complain about it.
    By not paying Eircom to install a (sub-standard) telephone line I'm hitting them in the pocket. I'm only one person, and that minute dent in their linings is not even noticeable. But I live in hope that others will see exactly what's going on and follow suit.

I'll probably be a very old man by the time the idiots in power actually do something for the common people though.

Its not going to make a blind bit of difference to Eircom anyways and if everyone adopted your attitude Eircom would say there is no demand for BB so the situation would be even worse..............
    Actually, I'm sure the media would (for once ...) pick up on the real reason for low broadband penetration in the country. We want quality products for an affordable price.

As I mentioned before, I have swedish friends with 100meg connection for approx. 30e a month. (that may be more than they actually pay, I can't remember now).
    There's absolutely no reason why Ireland can't reach that level in the next 5 years - but that would require competent planning, and an adequate budget to accomplish.

It really is disgraceful, what we have to put up with. Ripoff Ireland at it's best, and still it continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

Chaz wrote:
    Cool,

When it gets near personal and I get PMs like this - I have tried to explain to this person and others what is going on - no point in fighting with me about it.

ffs

FFS,the latency is getting even worse past 2 days have been a joke even when its just me using the connection,i think my next dd payment is the 1rst of april,if problem isnt COMPLETELY FIXED by then i'm cancelling my dd,i know its not your fault but ive had enough

- then I withdraw from the thread and all support. Please do not PM me - I will not respond.

Thanks

I can't see anything personal in that message at all. What I see is some one paying for something which he is not getting. Maybe now you're gone from boards you will actually go do your job and fix the problems your customers are having. I've just gone through the last 10 pages of this thread and can't find one that explains "whats going on" and to be honest even if I did I couldn't give a toss. We don't pay digiweb a monthly fee to tell us "whats going on", We pay digiweb for an internet connection that is usable. If you don't provide that, expect to be moaned at.

What I find strange is any other company wouldn't be allowed to "support" or "advertise" their products on boards.ie because boards.ie is supposedly impartial. Why does digiweb get away with it? lets all take a look at the banner ad showing. Maybe boards.ie isn't as impartial as we think.

• Advertisement

Adey2002 wrote:
    What I find strange is any other campany wouldn't be allowed to "support" or "advertise" their products on boards.ie because boards.ie is supposedly impartial. Why does digiweb get away with it? lets all take a look at the banner ad showing. Maybe boards.ie isn't as impartial as we think.

While agree with your sentiments - I think that the advertising that's happening on this forum (and in this thread) in particular for Digiweb is indirect.
    Or, kind of at least. Chaz (and crawler) have been the source of a wealth of information and were the cause of many of my own and others' problems being dealt with swiftly and satisfactorily.

The support staff in Digiweb, also, have proved to be invaluable to all of us here with problems.
    That, of course, does nothing to alleviate the problems that have cropped up recently. As you imply, there's only so much we can take before "it's being looked at" gets old, and I think we've reached that point now.

Advertisement