Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

zoro wrote:
    The most depressing thing about this country is it's citizen's apathy towards sub-standard services, and the monopolistic practices of Eircom. Will one person make a difference? Not in any measurable way, no.
    But it's a start at least.

I've probably been one of the biggest thorns in Digiweb's side regarding the Metro broadband package - but if I'm not receiving an acceptable service then I have every right to complain about it.
    By not paying Eircom to install a (sub-standard) telephone line I'm hitting them in the pocket. I'm only one person, and that minute dent in their linings is not even noticeable. But I live in hope that others will see exactly what's going on and follow suit.

I'll probably be a very old man by the time the idiots in power actually do something for the common people though.

Actually, I'm sure the media would (for once ...) pick up on the real reason for low broadband penetration in the country. We want quality products for an affordable price.

As I mentioned before, I have swedish friends with 100meg connection for approx. 30e a month. (that may be more than they actually pay, I can't remember now).
    There's absolutely no reason why Ireland can't reach that level in the next 5 years - but that would require competent planning, and an adequate budget to accomplish.

It really is disgraceful, what we have to put up with. Ripoff Ireland at it's best, and still it continues.

Monopolies behave as monopolies whenever they get the opportunity - thats not to defend Eircom it is simply to state the obvious. I fail to understand how depriving yourself of BB is going to help anyones cause - all of the isps want to make money and most have serious defects in one or other ways. For instance the company you are supporting at the moment have just hit people apparently in many cases without any warning for months of fees = that is appalling behaviour and there has been no response on boards at least from them whatever about anywher else.

You dont know that the line you will get from Eircom will be substandard and when you do get a line you have the opportunity if you are lucky to go to someone like Smart who offer good value.

We are not Sweden we are what we are and its about dealing with that.

We have gone from no broadband to 3Mb in a very short space of time relatively speaking. Its not ideal but what is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

dub45 wrote:
    Monopolies behave as monopolies whenever they get the opportunity - thats not to defend Eircom it is simply to state the obvious. I fail to understand how depriving yourself of BB is going to help anyones cause
    The only possible way that I have to dissapprove of how Eircom have behaved is to refuse to give them my money.
    I see no other possibly alternative.
    I see you point about monopolies though - and it's a good one.
    For instance the company you are supporting at the moment have just hit people apparently in many cases without any warning for months of fees = that is appalling behaviour and there has been no response on boards at least from them whatever about anywher else.
    Indeed - myself included, however in my own situation, this have been sorted out to my liking. However the very fact that it happened at all is indeed disconcerting.
    You dont know that the line you will get from Eircom will be substandard and when you do get a line you have the opportunity if you are lucky to go to someone like Smart who offer good value.
    Yeah - I know I could go with another ISP once my line is connected, but in order to do that I have to pay eircom for the priviledge of having a line that's not guaranteed to be capable of carrying DSL. Yes, I live in Dublin's city centre, but that's not an assurance of a DSL line.
    We are not Sweden we are what we are and its about dealing with that.
    We have gone from no broadband to 3Mb in a very short space of time relatively speaking. Its not ideal but what is?
    No, we are not - but they are a nation that we should learn from, and aspire to be in relation to broadband facilities.
    What they (and other European countries) have is leaps and bounds ahead of us, a nation that is supposedly still experiencing a booming ecomony. Yet everything about the corporate world in this country is purely about the milking dry of consumers.

While that, it could be argued, is their sole reason for existence, it is simply not acceptable. My own personal stand against Eircom will most certainly not make any difference at all, but I would much rather give my money to another ISP over Eircom. Provided, of course, that said ISP can acutally deliver on their promise.

This thread has been swaying around a few different topics at this stage, and I think that this debate is taking it even further in another direction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

Adey2002 wrote:
    I can't see anything personal in that message at all. What I see is some one paying for something which he is not getting. Maybe now you're gone from boards you will actually go do your job and fix the problems your customers are having. I've just gone through the last 10 pages of this thread and can't find one that explains "whats going on" and to be honest even if I did I couldn't give a toss. We don't pay digiweb a monthly fee to tell us "whats going on", We pay digiweb for an internet connection that is usable. If you don't provide that, expect to be moaned at.

What I find strange is any other company wouldn't be allowed to "support" or "advertise" their products on boards.ie because boards.ie is supposedly impartial. Why does digiweb get away with it? lets all take a look at the banner ad showing. Maybe boards.ie isn't as impartial as we think.

thank you,there was nothing personal at all in my message,i wrote it in frustration,i have been patient about the big latency problem for seven!! months,and looking through my emails, i have been told at least 6 times on seperate occasions that the problem would be fixed,and then when it got even worse(which is still happening now),i lost it.
    chaz,if you are reading this, i apologise for becoming 'personal' as that was not my plan,what i said in the message still stands though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Adey2002 wrote:
    What I find strange is any other company wouldn't be allowed to "support" or "advertise" their products on boards.ie because boards.ie is supposedly impartial. Why does digiweb get away with it? lets all take a look at the banner ad showing. Maybe boards.ie isn't as impartial as we think.

The thread has stayed open soley at the mods discretion. Chaz and crawler have been helping out boards users with any problems they've had with the service, so the thread has been allowed to continue. Digiweb are far from alone in being allowed to have this sort of interaction on this forum. A number of other telecoms companys have done the same over the years. It has nothing what so ever to do with digiweb advertising on boards. For one thing, the mods recieve no money for anything in the first place. There's no incentive for us to try and support digiweb. Secondly, the admins have never been in touch with any of us mods to give digiweb (or any other operator) special treatment.

The thread will remain open for as long as it is useful to the boards community. No longer, no shorter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The banner ads could be for anything. Boards.ie rents out the space. It doesn't imply any endorsement.

You need to ping a lot of diffeent sites. You can get bad pings to a particular site (different sites at different times) on any supplier. The Internet is not some kind of Mega Data Bus that ISPs connect a backbone to. Even "back haul" and "backbone" is misleading. There is no defined structure, no defined routes, no defined network, just servers with interconnectivity to other servers.

The further away geographically a destination is the greater a possibility of wildly fluctuating pings especially as the data crosses areas of high demand at certain times. Subsequent packets may even be on differing routes giving different ping times.

There are better diagnostics than ping

pathping and tracert

See
    http://www.d3tr.de/ for download tool

See
    http://www.tracert.com/cgi-bin/trace.pl for online check

also
    To trace a path by using the tracert command
    Open Command Prompt, and type the following:
    tracert host_name

Or, type tracert ip_address

where host_name or ip_address is the host name or IP address, respectively, of the remote computer.

For example, to trace a connection route from this computer to www.microsoft.com, type the following at a command prompt:

tracert www.microsoft.com
    If you do not want the tracert command to resolve and display the names of all routers in the path, use the -d parameter. This expedites the display of the path. For example, to trace a path from this computer to www.microsoft.com without displaying the router names, type the following at a command prompt:

tracert -d www.microsoft.com
    Notes

To open a command prompt, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    The tracert command traces the path by sending Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Echo Request and Echo Reply messages (similar to the ping command) to produce command-line report output about each router that is crossed and the roundtrip time (RTT) for each hop. Packet filtering policies on routers, firewalls, or other types of security gateways might prevent the forwarding of this traffic.
    If tracert is unsuccessful, you can use the command output to help determine at which intermediate router forwarding failed or was slowed.
    For details about packet forwarding and packet loss at each router and link in the path, use the pathping command.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 J.P

Any sign of being able to track downloads and uploads on metro, heard the were putting something on there website last week??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

J.P wrote:
    Any sign of being able to track downloads and uploads on metro, heard the were putting something on there website last week??

Stealer of Names!

Doodee wrote:
    Stealer of Names!

HUH!!??

Just got email from digiweb, we can finally check our stats
    this is the website i was given http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie doesn't seem like the stats are really up to date though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Oooh cacti graphs!

• Advertisement

J.P wrote:
    Just got email from digiweb, we can finally check our stats
    this is the website i was given http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie doesn't seem like the stats are really up to date though..

I think they are up to date, but only started today... This time next month you will have a real month to look back on!

Hows everybodys Metro phone connection, every since i got Metro installed (over a week ago) my phone has been garbled and scrambled not a hope of actually using it. Contacted Digiweb was told "Unfortunately we are experiencing some technical difficulties on some of our customer connections regarding the metro phone. The engineers have narrowed the problem down and are making a number of changes this week which should hopefully resolve this issue." Wonder is this what i should expect from a cheap service....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Aye, our phone isn't working great either...by that I mean garbled and scrambled after a few seconds on the phone.

Limerick was down bout 50 mins ago there. Back up running smooth again tho :)

Boards.ie was "broken" but everything else was OK.

The phone port is on a box that works much the same as Digital BB and phone on Digital Cable. My Dad has had NTL in UK for years with no phone trouble, so I expect if/when it gets fixed it will stay fixed.

I'd love to blame Eircom on the Backhaul infrastructure, but I think they are innocent on this one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

wow 4mb traffic for me already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Have to see overall, I'm impressed so far, and chaz and crawler have done a great job here.

While It might seem that its a poor service here with everyone complaining, its not, I know many other normal users who think the service is great, and in Digiwebs hometown they've done a great service to the town.

What are peoples main problems?

Download Speed?
    Latency?
    Phone Quality?

Latency.

Phone quality.

Yet another night of ridiculous latency, ping spikes, and terrible download speeds.

Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Currently getting 74kB/sec off heanet on my 3 meg metro connection. it has been like this for about a week now. I would have been expecting about 5 times that. Any chance that this could be sorted any time soon? Even looking at my graph i havn't broken over 1.7MB/sec. And that was with a lot of files downloading concurrently.

My IP address is: 83.147.165.**

EDIT: Currently grabbing a movie trailer at a whopping 50kB/sec. 20 mins to go at this rate :(

• Advertisement

It's horrendous .... f*ck sake.

got an email saying that some changes are being made this week to improve latency in the evenings,personally im quite sceptical about this,have heard it too many times before.emailed him back askin 4 an explanation 4 the crazy latency the past week,yet to receive reply.
    it seems that nothing can be done until the 'new links' are installed within the next 2 months.
    dunno whether to trust them yet again and wait 4 the 'new links' or cancel dd and order smart who are apparently good for latency.
    any advice???

Is this just a Dublin issue?

On the Limerick mast(s) and aside from the downtime Monday for about 30 mins, it's been pretty much perfect. Some intermittent wee probs with browsing at times but nothing lasting.

Now if only the phone was working :)

kaimera and any other metro users,can u ping this site for me for a few minutes please
    nad-diag.online.scee.com
    much appreciated,thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

no problem in this part of dublin either-don't play games though and i am using voip now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ping nad-diag.online.scee.com

Pinging nad-diag.online.scee.com [217.18.19.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=114ms TTL=248
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=84ms TTL=248
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=248
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=248

Ping statistics for 217.18.19.250:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 84ms, Maximum = 114ms, Average = 95ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>

for a gamer those pings are unplayable,every1 else from uk + irish ntl users get <30ms.y cant ireland get its act together regarding broadband...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

zoro wrote:
    Yet another night of ridiculous latency, ping spikes, and terrible download speeds.

Yay.

ditto.

Tried to watch streaming video and i had to wait 10 minutes for it to load.
    Slaped on the BT connection to the same website at the same time and video loaded in 45seconds.

If peoples service is bad, mine does be worse than bad given the local im in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

Im on metro 3mb in Dundalk

Pinging nad-diag.online.scee.com [217.18.19.250] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=41ms TTL=249
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=249
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=55ms TTL=249
    Reply from 217.18.19.250: bytes=32 time=44ms TTL=249

Ping statistics for 217.18.19.250:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 71ms, Average = 52ms

These results are from ping tests at 9.24pm

Just downloaded latest cat drivers from www.ati.com was getting steady speed of 190-203KB/s

• Advertisement

i wonder if we're going to be charged for this excuse of a connection.

Advertisement