Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Chaz wrote:
    Guys,

The reason there has been a hold on installs in Limerick is due to a site issue. We had identified a few sites and had hoped to get a certain site but this was not forthcoming. We then decided to build on Site B being the 2nd choice - however since then Site A has become available and we are in the process of moving our equipment to this site for testing and if suitable a full build will take place.

I am in Limerick today and tomorrow for the testing and should be able to to give an indication of which site we have selected. I cannot mention sites as these are sensitive until signed - we are simply trying to get the best coverage for Limerick - which is better for both Digiweb and its potential client base. The delay has not been intentional - we do not believe in saying 'two weeks - two weeks' - this has been the only site, out of our national build that has gone partially sour.

Thanks

As Chaz said - was not intentional and it is "short term pain for long term gain"...our sincere apologies to those in Limerick for this extra delay.

For those waiting for the voice ports to be activated on the MTAs - this should be happening today. Will need a restart of the modem and the "tel1" and "tel2" lights should be steady green (should currently be flashing = not programmed)

Again - thanks all for your patience but as you can see these are issues that are being resolved and really part of any major service roll out. I know not all will agree but we are sincerely working very hard to get this 100%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

crawler wrote:
    As Chaz said - was not intentional and it is "short term pain for long term gain"...our sincere apologies to those in Limerick for this extra delay.

For those waiting for the voice ports to be activated on the MTAs - this should be happening today. Will need a restart of the modem and the "tel1" and "tel2" lights should be steady green (should currently be flashing = not programmed)

Again - thanks all for your patience but as you can see these are issues that are being resolved and really part of any major service roll out. I know not all will agree but we are sincerely working very hard to get this 100%.

Thanks Crawler for the updates. Will the MTU issue be fixed soon to???

mickger wrote:
    Thanks Crawler for the updates. Will the MTU issue be fixed soon to???

1) To set up any of your free email accounts http://www.digiweb.ie/digimail/ this is actually on the home page (www.digiweb.ie) click on "webmail"

2) MTU - we have done all our "bits" just waiting on on of our backhaul fibre providers to turn on jumbo frames :) Will let you know.

3) Phone will be activated today also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Hughesy

Chaz wrote:
    Guys,

The reason there has been a hold on installs in Limerick is due to a site issue. We had identified a few sites and had hoped to get a certain site but this was not forthcoming. We then decided to build on Site B being the 2nd choice - however since then Site A has become available and we are in the process of moving our equipment to this site for testing and if suitable a full build will take place.

I am in Limerick today and tomorrow for the testing and should be able to to give an indication of which site we have selected. I cannot mention sites as these are sensitive until signed - we are simply trying to get the best coverage for Limerick - which is better for both Digiweb and its potential client base. The delay has not been intentional - we do not believe in saying 'two weeks - two weeks' - this has been the only site, out of our national build that has gone partially sour.

Thanks

I know u stated that you dont intend on giving an estimate on when it will be available, but ive been waiting 5 weeks now and was initially told 4-6 weeks. As ye are not even set up set, does this mean installation in my house will be another 4-6 weeks once the site is selected and equipment is set up???

Hughesy wrote:
    I know u stated that you dont intend on giving an estimate on when it will be available, but ive been waiting 5 weeks now and was initially told 4-6 weeks. As ye are not even set up set, does this mean installation in my house will be another 4-6 weeks once the site is selected and equipment is set up???

No - we would "blitz" installs in Limerick to be fair to all customers.

Engineers actually on site now (including Chaz) and I believe it is raining :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

nearly got mine installed today but due to the neighbour not allowing the CPE to be installed on the shared chimney, the installer had to look for other options, to get LOS, but unfortuantly no other option was available to get LOS other than asking the permission of the neighbour on the other side if we could install it just over the apex of his roof, so hopefully im looking at getting it installed again next week.
    Damn and i was looking forward to really fast BB today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

how is one mast supposed to cover the whole of limerick
    the riverpoint or the clarion would just cover the city centre wouldnt it??
    whats the distance on them?
    or are there more than one mast like come on how is somewere like raheen or castletroy going to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

A question for Chaz or Crawler.

I had the installers at my place yesterday and they clamed that I dont have los. It seemed these guys had no idea of the general geography of Cork and tried to blame houses for blocking the los that are in the other direction of Collins Barracks. When asked to point to the general direction of Collins Barracks they hadn't a clue. Since it was heavy rain they didn't make much of an effort to find los and were barely 5 mins ( if even that) on the roof.

At the moment I'm trying to use the line that the meaure feature in Google Earth produces to find the line it takes to my place. Theirs only about a quater of a mile of houses before it's all down hill to the barracks. What I would like to know is what area of the barracks the mast is. It seems that if it's close to the glen area I would have los but if it's closer to Old Youghal Hill it's hit or miss. A small difference in where the mast is positioned in the barracks makes a massive difference to the line it takes to my house. Do Digiweb have any way of using computer maps to find out if I've line of sight. When the weather clears up I'm planning on going up on the roof the find out if I can see Collins Barracks. If I can is their any point in reordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Jesus, Johndanielmoore careful up there on the roof, I hear broadband is really crap when you're dead, no ping at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

Thanks for the concern. However if I fall it's only about 5 feet to the kitchen roof. I'll survive that :)

• Advertisement

Am just home from work and see that the light for the phone service is on and i could make calls but how do i know what my number is? I rang my mobile to see on the caller id what my number was but it turned out to be some other guys number lol. Whats my number??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Mickger - what's the call quality like?

digitaldr wrote:
    Mickger - what's the call quality like?

I did'nt check the quality but i will in the morning will post results here.

mickger wrote:
    Am just home from work and see that the light for the phone service is on and i could make calls but how do i know what my number is? I rang my mobile to see on the caller id what my number was but it turned out to be some other guys number lol. Whats my number??????

:)

If you ring support on 1890 940 405 they can tell you ( just have your WIR code)

Caller id will be sorted for you today too (you just got there ahead of us!!) - it was me you rang ( I have the default number at home, the one ending in 00!) but ya hung up! :) funny.

Finally - MTU issue for all areas sorted last night, except for Cork so Dublin, Dundalk, Limerick, Waterford & Galway all fine now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

crawler wrote:

If you ring support on 1890 940 405 they can tell you ( just have your WIR code)

Caller id will be sorted for you today too (you just got there ahead of us!!) - it was me you rang ( I have the default number at home, the one ending in 00!) but ya hung up! :) funny.

Finally - MTU issue for all areas sorted last night, except for Cork so Dublin, Dundalk, Limerick, Waterford & Galway all fine now :)

Yes but there have been no installations in Limerick :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

1huge1 wrote:
    how is one mast supposed to cover the whole of limerick
    the riverpoint or the clarion would just cover the city centre wouldnt it??
    whats the distance on them?
    or are there more than one mast like come on how is somewere like raheen or castletroy going to get it?

I have a feeling that its fairly broad sweep, but I am in Annacotty and seriously doubt it will reach me, but its worth a try.

I think their name says it all though 'metro' strikes me more as 'city' so the 'burbs may have a little trouble.

ricey wrote:
    Yes but there have been no installations in Limerick :mad:

I just thought of that after I pressed "submit"!! :) Boards people dont miss a thing!

Yes, Ricey, you are correct and we do apologise but the lads are there again today sorting that out....I should have said when Limerick customers are installed....apologies.

Jumpy wrote:
    I have a feeling that its fairly broad sweep, but I am in Annacotty and seriously doubt it will reach me, but its worth a try.

I think their name says it all though 'metro' strikes me more as 'city' so the 'burbs may have a little trouble.

yes and no...

two issues 1) line of sight to base station and 2) as it's licensed frequencies, we have to stay within the boundaries of said licences....

crawler wrote:
    yes and no...

two issues 1) line of sight to base station and 2) as it's licensed frequencies, we have to stay within the boundaries of said licences....

Well I am at about 8-9km of the 10km range, so my install will be a seriously crossed fingers affair.

If on the day the pings are all over the place though I will probably ask them to take it down, this is mainly to get rid of my eircom line and to enjoy the faster speeds, but I still need a constant 'minimal packet loss' connection due to online gaming.
    Crawler you might be able to tell me is it actually worth getting the installer out at that range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 FINNDFIN

I ordered it 11 october & got it installed yesterday (20 October) after being told it was gonna be 3 weeks. working fine so far soooo much faster than dial-up. Haven't got phone up & running yet but I didn't have a landline before this. So if anyone is in same position please say if there were any problems getting it up & running or getting a phone number from them.

• Advertisement

FINNDFIN wrote:
    I ordered it 11 october & got it installed yesterday (20 October) after being told it was gonna be 3 weeks. working fine so far soooo much faster than dial-up. Haven't got phone up & running yet but I didn't have a landline before this. So if anyone is in same position please say if there were any problems getting it up & running or getting a phone number from them.

If the "TEL1" light is not flashing (i.e. steady green) on the modem you just need to plug in any standard analogue phone into the RJ-11 ( phone socket) on the box and that's it!

if it's flashing just call support and they will set it up and tell you your phone number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Hughesy

FINNDFIN wrote:
    I ordered it 11 october & got it installed yesterday (20 October)

JEALOUS!!!:mad:

Jumpy wrote:
    Well I am at about 8-9km of the 10km range, so my install will be a seriously crossed fingers affair.

If on the day the pings are all over the place though I will probably ask them to take it down, this is mainly to get rid of my eircom line and to enjoy the faster speeds, but I still need a constant 'minimal packet loss' connection due to online gaming.
    Crawler you might be able to tell me is it actually worth getting the installer out at that range?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'd say this stuff is good for a lot longer distances than 10km's, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you have good signal it will work. The only thing to worry about when it comes to wireless (or cable) is that you're sharing the same sector with lots of other users, and this, if anything, is likely to affect your pings when the sector gets busy.

crawler wrote:

Sorry for hanging up on you crawler lol thought it was a wrong number i rang or something. I got an email with my number this morning and tested it and call quality is excellent.Whats the best MTU value we should be using now? Is it still 1440????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Crawler - any word on revised call charges yet? I make a lot of local off peak calls! I sent blueface an email - they said they were talking to Digiweb about compatibility of their VoIP service with Metro - any news on that or maybe you don't want to encourage them!?

Thanks

mickger wrote:
    Sorry for hanging up on you crawler lol thought it was a wrong number i rang or something. I got an email with my number this morning and tested it and call quality is excellent.Whats the best MTU value we should be using now? Is it still 1440????

Standard MTU is 1500 - actually can you change it to 1500 and try the sites you had a problem with before, should be working fine now.....? appreciated.

Cork MTU issued now also completed :)

On voice rates - commercial stuff so it's sensitive, sorry. Watch this space for interesting developments.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ordered on the 21st of september, guy arrived tuesday week ago, went to get more cable so he could mount it on a different chimney cos the signal was dodge, haven't seen him since after calling the guy 3 times on his mobile, first time i was told "oh, i forgot all abotu you, it'll be monday", called monday "aye, looks like rain, don't do roof work in rain" (fair enough, even tho thursday and friday before were lovely days, grr), phoned yesterday, "i'll be up around 2, i'll call you to confirm" - after 2, "hi, cant make, have other jobs to get done, boss's decision, hopefully monday, weather permitting"

Friggin Joke, they have to move a pole, 15 feet. It would take half an hour, tops and they'd be done with me.

This better be worth it - assuming they can get a signal - all this could be for nothing.

Ordered on the 21st of september, guy arrived tuesday week ago, went to get more cable so he could mount it on a different chimney cos the signal was dodge, haven't seen him since after calling the guy 3 times on his mobile, first time i was told "oh, i forgot all abotu you, it'll be monday", called monday "aye, looks like rain, don't do roof work in rain" (fair enough, even tho thursday and friday before were lovely days, grr), phoned yesterday, "i'll be up around 2, i'll call you to confirm" - after 2, "hi, cant make, have other jobs to get done, boss's decision, hopefully monday, weather permitting"

Friggin Joke, they have to move a pole, 15 feet. It would take half an hour, tops and they'd be done with me.

This better be worth it - assuming they can get a signal - all this could be for nothing.

Tá Brón orm faoi seo - beidh na lads amach leat co luath agus is fédir liom chaint leo dé luain.

An Feidir leat do uimhir "WIR" a seoladh ar PM agus an tainm ar an lad a bhí tú ag caint?

Go raibh maith agat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

What's the Irish for Hijacking and spamming?

Advertisement