Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I have net meter...but it's no good when I'm running an ftp on the LAN in the house.

Unless I've somehow uploaded 35gigs in the last while :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Hi guys,

The way the system works is that it keeps a running total for the past 30 days usage, this is what is displayed - I am talking to the software guys to see if we can also display "This months traffic". Thanks for the feedback.

Ta crawler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

At the start I thougt I would be running 7 to 10GB per month, but last 30 days was only 4.3GByte. Obviously download Linux Distros doesn't hurt and the lads have stopped downloading HD Oblivion videos as they now have the game...

Oddly it is fairer to customers to run a 30 day rolling average than a flat month....probelm is that most of the other ISPs run monthly stats.....

• Advertisement

I'm all for fairer!!

Just there was nothing about a rolling cap to begin with and we were worried about keeping within the 30gigs combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Hughesy

i personally prefare the rolling month:D

People wouldnt be capped for doing 30.001G...that's not in the "spirit of the game". The caps exist to be fair to all users, it is a shared network....we will work out something that works best for all customers but for now we will use the rolling average....we may also display the "usage for this month" just for information but manage traffic based on averages....lots of ideas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nazthing

here's my situation. Our apartment block is serviced by a 6 mb metro connection, i think it's the 240 euro a month package. That's been throttled to 20 k, which is shared through the entire apartment block, making it less than dial up.

Apartment owners refuse to let us get our own connection installed, I'd jump at smart in a heartbeat. I use it for work, and this sucks.

How is that digiwebs problem?

More like an issue with the owner.

Aye crawler, even just a monthly info would do but keeping the rolling cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Jean Luc

this is bull****..I signed up for 30gigs per month..which meant at the end of my first month it would default back to 0gigs. Now this means that I constantly have to watch my downloads.i have no vision on when i can download large files again...there was nothing about a rolling month in the contract I signed and if digiweb keep this up I'm off..

kaimera wrote:
    How is that digiwebs problem?

More like an issue with the owner.

Aye crawler, even just a monthly info would do but keeping the rolling cap.

a 120 GB combined cap is B.S for a service charging that much, wouldn't you agree?

nazthing wrote:
    a 120 GB combined cap is B.S for a service charging that much, wouldn't you agree?

But was it not the owners who got in the BB?

I am not going to comment on that...but I would suggest a quick look at the Terms and conditions of the service.....in particular section 16 (page 2)

http://www.digiweb.ie/pdf/DIGIWEB_Metro_Terms.pdf

crawler wrote:
    I am not going to comment on that...but I would suggest a quick look at the Terms and conditions of the service.....in particular section 16 (page 2)

http://www.digiweb.ie/pdf/DIGIWEB_Metro_Terms.pdf

interesting.

kamera, i'm posting re the topic, I'm a Metro user and I'm unhappy with the service.

Ok, I get that much...but
    Apartment owners refuse to let us get our own connection installed, I'd jump at smart in a heartbeat. I use it for work, and this sucks.

is a tad ott tbqh. You are saying an enitre apartment block is using a 6meg connection and your complaining about being throttled.
    Then blaming digiweb and saying you'd jump at another ISP.

Why not get digiweb yerself and try it rather than being sensationalist. [imo]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

nazthing wrote:
    interesting.

kamera, i'm posting re the topic, I'm a Metro user and I'm unhappy with the service.

I don't think you can blame digiweb for your poor service, the connection has just been throttled due to the agreed limit being reached.

Maybe the owners would allow you to have your own connection if the 6Mb one they're re-selling to you would be disconnected for some reason. Of course if they still don't allow you your own, you would be left with nothing at all.

kaimera wrote:
    Ok, I get that much...but

is a tad ott tbqh. You are saying an enitre apartment block is using a 6meg connection and your complaining about being throttled.
    Then blaming digiweb and saying you'd jump at another ISP.

Why not get digiweb yerself and try it rather than being sensationalist. [imo]

I don't have the option, the apartment managers don't allow it. I'm completely powerless at my end currently to change my situation, unless I move, which I won't.

a cap that size on a connection costing 3000 + a year is B.S. Smart represent much better value, at a fifth of the cost. Hope that's not too sensationalist for you :).

Adey2002 wrote:
    I don't think you can blame digiweb for your poor service, the connection has just been throttled due to the agreed limit being reached.

Maybe the owners would allow you to have your own connection if the 6Mb one they're re-selling to you would be disconnected for some reason. Of course if they still don't allow you your own, you would be left with nothing at all.

something will need to give, definately. The current set up is untenable in the long run.

Well, crawler did ppoint out a paragraph in the T&C's...you could have a wee chat with the apartment owners ;)

Besides, 120gigs is more than enough...guess everyone in the block is downloading linux isos every day.

And nobody forced the owners to go digiweb.

• Advertisement

kaimera wrote:
    Well, crawler did ppoint out a paragraph in the T&C's...you could have a wee chat with the apartment owners ;)

Besides, 120gigs is more than enough...guess everyone in the block is downloading linux isos every day.

And nobody forced the owners to go digiweb.

probably will have to have a chat. You must be fairly wealthy if you think 120 GB combined is worth 300 yoyos a month. muy expensive bandwidth.

Would I pay €300+ myself?
    No.

Atm, I'm on the basic metro pack split between 6 of us. (€42/m)/6 == sfa for a 3 meg line. :)
    now if I could convince them a nice 42" hd-tv would be cheap among six of us...

Anyway, wouldn't issues with the pricing be more suitable for a diff thread rather than a thread on the Metro service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Crawler it should be pretty easy to add another field to have the monthly usage. at the end of the day its just date based query on what ever db holds the traffic use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Im only keeping metro for another 2 months then im gone.

No Disrespect ment here as the connection is GREAT and the speeds
    are always top notch but this 30 day rolling thing and the dl capps are
    a joke and im not paying the prices digiweb ask anymore.

Il be moving to smart c ya DIGIWEB its been fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Do not count your chickens before they are ..... I wish you well, if you think Smart will enable Caherdavin exchange, they have enabled Roches Street, Raheen and Castletroy, just like BT, because they have business areas, Caherdavin has Dunnes Stores and Supermac's and little else business wise, so, unless one of these goes with Smart nationwide, I doubt they will enable Caherdavin, Crossagalla or Athlunkard exchanges in a hurry.

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'd much prefer a monthly 30gigs rather than a rolling 30 gigs. A rolling 30 gigs makes it harder for me to download stuff if i need to. I can't "ration" my downloading now. With a rolling cap i have to constantly make sure that i don't go overboard, which isn't quite my idea of fun.

Also, i'm getting some pretty slow HTTP speeds recently. Are there capacity problems on any masts (not that you'd admit that here :P)? I'll be emailing/ringing soon as this just ain't right. I pay for 3meg, i expect at least 1/2 that 95% of the time. I don't expect 17kB/sec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you look at "graphs" you can see how recent your downloading/uploading is.

If you are close to the 30G wait for oldest big spike to fall of graph, which could be in a few days. With Monthly cap rather than rolling cap you could have to wait a week or so.

Personally I can see no reason why anyone legitimately as a single individual should be anywhere near 30G per month.

Can you possibly be actually listening / watching / running that amount?

Can you find that amount for one person that is not pirated?

Smart have approached everyone in Appartment block on Dock Road offering "free connection" but I suspect this is for BB, and if someone does not have a phone number and no soft tone they will have to pay Eircom for a line connection before it can be unbundled to Smart?

Unless someone give the folks using 30G and 60G personally in a month an Uncapped 1:1 contention with no "fair use" policy, they arn't going to be happy. Most BB has "Fair use" clause, contention and a Cap. For "normal" people it is unfair to share a contended resource with people running torrants etc 24/7. I'd be sceptical that the traffic is even legitimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

watty wrote:

Personally I can see no reason why anyone legitimately as a single individual should be anywhere near 30G per month.

Can you possibly be actually listening / watching / running that amount?

Can you find that amount for one person that is not pirated?

If you're referring to kaimera's post there's 6 of us in the house, I'm living in the same place as him so between 6 of us it does tend to mount up. The piracy bit I'm not going to comment on...suffice to say Linux ISO downloads are mainly what I've been doing.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Why not just say its warez that we dl, who cares cuz every isp
    in the world has peeps who download a hell of a lot more then any isp
    in Ireland thats for sure. Only diff is they pay less then half what we
    do for better and faster connections with unlimited downloads

Like 30gig cap LOL tell people on the Continent all you can dl is 30gigs in a
    30 day rolling whatever! And there would be no way the company would
    last.

Screw this country thats all i can say im sick of this $hit bb, we are
    getting screwed big time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ricey wrote:
    Why not just say its warez that we dl, who cares cuz every isp
    in the world has peeps who download a hell of a lot more then any isp
    in Ireland thats for sure. Only diff is they pay less then half what we
    do for better and faster connections with unlimited downloads

Like 30gig cap LOL tell people on the Continent all you can dl is 30gigs in a
    30 day rolling whatever! And there would be no way the company would
    last.

Screw this country thats all i can say im sick of this $hit bb, we are
    getting screwed big time

And what about screwing copyright holders?

No one forces you to sign up for bb so how are you getting screwed?

Advertisement