Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Axl

ricey wrote:
    Why not just say its warez that we dl, who cares cuz every isp
    in the world has peeps who download a hell of a lot more then any isp
    in Ireland thats for sure. Only diff is they pay less then half what we
    do for better and faster connections with unlimited downloads

Like 30gig cap LOL tell people on the Continent all you can dl is 30gigs in a
    30 day rolling whatever! And there would be no way the company would
    last.

Screw this country thats all i can say im sick of this $hit bb, we are
    getting screwed big time.

Do you really think you are the norm and that companies really care if you leave? Id say they would probably be happy if the top 5% heavy users left - they probably use 50% of the bandwidth.

Im sure you knew the service was capped before you signed up. Pray tell (and you never answered me in your other thread), what was your usage before you got capped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

No i never knew it would be 30 day rolling thing.

Im not pissed because i got capped that was my fault and i have
    no poroblem admit that.

190gb I done, Dont ask me how but there are a few of us on the connection
    and i would never use next to near that much other months.

Bottom line is at the end of the month the dl & up counters should go back to zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Axl

ricey wrote:

no poroblem admit that.

So you signed up for a 60Gig capped service and whine about the service (even though you admit it was used) when you get capped at 300% more of the cap. Nothing to do with Digiweb mate - I think they have only been more than fair here. You obviously need to find an uncapped provider or similar. Why dont you take yer chances with IBB then?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ricey wrote:

no poroblem admit that.

Bottom line is at the end of the month the dl & up counters should go back to zero.

If you checked what you have downloaded it would be very easy to find out so why are you so mystified?

Im not blaming Digiweb here at the time i didnt know i could look
    up the traffic at mytraffic.digiweb.ie and had no clue that there was
    so much done in the 30 days or did i know that there was a 30 day rolling
    period untill the day it got capped. Also i said that digiwebs connection is
    Great im not saying that its digiwebs fault but jesus there has to be something
    that can be done in this country about usage capps ffs.

Im not pissed over getting capped im pissed at the bb situation in this county full stop.

• Advertisement

ricey wrote:
    Im not blaming Digiweb here at the time i didnt know i could look
    up the traffic at mytraffic.digiweb.ie and had no clue that there was
    so much done in the 30 days or did i know that there was a 30 day rolling
    period untill the day it got capped. Also in said that digiwebs connection is
    Great im not saying that its digiwebs fault but jesus there has to be something

It is a truly pressing issue - people need unlimited caps so as to infringe even more copyrights - indeed lets paint the posters and take to the streets!

It is cruel and unusual punishment not to be able to watch 24 or Battlestar Galactica months in advance.

190GB is the equivalent of 40 blank dvds worth of material. and you dont know what you downloaded?
    190gb I done, Dont ask me how

whats your problem do you want a list?

I have said ya i was wrong i never knew there was 190gb done in that
    30 days until i rang digiweb and got told there was that much done. Im
    not saying id do that much every month il never do that much ever again.

And ya im not sure what i downloaded cuz there are a few people using the
    connection, been honest 190GB i dont even think there was that much done
    well at least i cant see how there was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

With this kind of thing becoming more common, i think caps will be needing to increase. (i'm pointing out that they're only releasing the game via internet).

I beta tested a system before where people paid a monthly fee and then could download and play games from a huge catalogue. For people on a capped service, they couldn't avail of this. I chewed up well over 30 gigs on that service in a month, simply because a lot of stuff got streamed again and again as only the bare minimum to run the game actually got stored on your hd (in an encrypted format).

Of course you have to remember that no ordinary user needs more than 5 gigs a month. And no ordinary user will need more than 1 meg of ram. And no ordinary user could possibly have a need for a home computer...

ricey wrote:
    whats your problem do you want a list?

I have said ya i was wrong i never knew there was 190gb done in that
    30 days until i rang digiweb and got told there was that much done. Im
    not saying id do that much every month il never do that much ever again.

And ya im not sure what i downloaded cuz there are a few people using the
    connection, been honest 190GB i dont even think there was that much done
    well at least i cant see how there was.

My problem is your lack of perspective and insight!!!!!!!!

There are many many major issues that need attention in this country but I hardly think that removing caps on bb services so that people like yourself can download copyright material ad nauseam is one of them.
    ricey wrote:
    but jesus there has to be something

Im not pissed over getting capped im pissed at the bb situation in this county full stop.

With this kind of thing becoming more common, i think caps will be needing to increase. (i'm pointing out that they're only releasing the game via internet).

I beta tested a system before where people paid a monthly fee and then could download and play games from a huge catalogue. For people on a capped service, they couldn't avail of this. I chewed up well over 30 gigs on that service in a month, simply because a lot of stuff got streamed again and again as only the bare minimum to run the game actually got stored on your hd (in an encrypted format).

Of course you have to remember that no ordinary user needs more than 5 gigs a month. And no ordinary user will need more than 1 meg of ram. And no ordinary user could possibly have a need for a home computer...

There is no doubt that streaming of films etc etc will increase the potential for legitimate downloads in the future with resultant higher caps but thats in the future and just as we once thought dial up was wonderful the present bb situation will also in retrospect look dire but there are a lot of people out there who are quite happy with their dial up still!

• Advertisement

Whatever. I just think its wrong and we gotta start moving
    into the world of real uncapped brodband like 99% of the other
    top nations.

There is no doubt that streaming of films etc etc will increase the potential for legitimate downloads in the future with resultant higher caps but thats in the future
    I believe apples iTunes store sells TV episodes nowadays. The BBC are also publicly trialling a streaming video system. I'm sure there are plenty of other available services that i havn't heard of or don't use. This is happening now, not in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

First we need to move into world of Broadband. Only 30% to 45% of people can actually get any kind of broadband.

To complain publically on a forum about a service that clearly upfront says what the contention and Cap (generous by Irish Standards) when you break it is very unfair.

And I maintain that a rolling month is in fact the fairest scheme. You can easaily see too on "show graphs" the periods of peak down/up.

Obviously if a number of people share a connection a larger CAP & more expensive service is needed. As with any shared household expense (Electricity and one student has a home built personal electric sauna or fusion lab) there can be a problem if one or more abuse the shared resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Gesus anybody who downloads/uploads inexcess of 30Gbs per 30day period is probably accessing illegal software etc, unless they're working for a high res graphics firm transfering images, if my connection is being shared by the wanker stealing 30Gbs of software a month well personally I hope you get fried to your keyboard and your mouth turns into a tray loading optical drive. I mean 30Gbs is just taking the piss.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Gigiwagga

Yeah like sure, he's downloading episodes of McIver and Hawaii 50, yeah pull this!!!!:D

I believe apples iTunes store sells TV episodes nowadays. The BBC are also publicly trialling a streaming video system. I'm sure there are plenty of other available services that i havn't heard of or don't use. This is happening now, not in the future.

I really dont think that he is pleading that the nation become concerned with the removal of bb caps so that he can download tv episodes from itunes or try out the bbc's streaming service do you?

dub45 wrote:
    I really dont think that he is pleading that the nation become concerned with the removal of bb caps so that he can download tv episodes from itunes or try out the bbc's streaming service do you?
    I agree with ya there :P Its just the automatic assumption that anyone who approachs anywhere near 30gigs a month is pirating software/music/video isn't true. There are people out there who have uses for broadband that don't include Linux Iso's.

I involved myself in an open source project for a while a few months back and transferred a fair bit of data (while on my IBB uber-slow connection). I couldn't do that again now with my Metro connection. I don't have the download/upload allowance for that now.

I agree with ya there :P Its just the automatic assumption that anyone who approachs anywhere near 30gigs a month is pirating software/music/video isn't true. There are people out there who have uses for broadband that don't include Linux Iso's.

I involved myself in an open source project for a while a few months back and transferred a fair bit of data (while on my IBB uber-slow connection). I couldn't do that again now with my Metro connection. I don't have the download/upload allowance for that now.

Still I think it is a fair assumption that the 'average' user does not at the moment have a need for a huge cap or no cap at all. I have no doubt that there are professional users or keen enthusiasts who do upload and download legitimate stuff. But I must be honest and say that it p****s me off that people scream and roar about their rights etc etc (if only in the quiet of cyberspace) when bascially what is happening is that they are being prevented from downloading yet more copyrighted material without having any regards for the rights of the people who own that material!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

looking at the comments and the terms and conditions it seems that there isnt actually a cap on the actual bandwidth you can use any given month .......... Its just slowed to the point where it takes forever to download :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Amm..anybody else finding Metro being a bitch the last few days?

Packetloss, webpages time out left, right and centre.

Yet the pings when they get thru are typical low double digit pings.

:( sucks atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

dub45 wrote:
    Still I think it is a fair assumption that the 'average' user does not at the moment have a need for a huge cap or no cap at all. I have no doubt that there are professional users or keen enthusiasts who do upload and download legitimate stuff. But I must be honest and say that it p****s me off that people scream and roar about their rights etc etc (if only in the quiet of cyberspace) when bascially what is happening is that they are being prevented from downloading yet more copyrighted material without having any regards for the rights of the people who own that material!

I wonder what it be possible for ISP's to implement low-priority traffic that does not affect the cap? Ie, the user can voluntarily pipe the traffic through something that deprioritises it and in return the user gets an uncapped service. I suppose the simplest thing would be to use DiffServ markings, but that's perhaps not the most user friendly mechanism. I'm sure the warez folks out there wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer to get something if in return they could download the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

It's pretty easy to throttle particular ports so you could slow bit torrent traffic if you wanted to, but I'm sure that would upset digiwebs customers who like to torrent.

And yes, it's perfectly possible to max out the (distinctly average) 30GB cap. To say anything else is distorting the facts. Legimate uses include:

- copyrights expire leaving creative works in the public domain (see publicdomaintorrents.com)
    - many creative works are released under creative commons/copyleft
    - may people work from home and think nothing of sending/recieving 500MB files
    - linux ISO's
    - Legally purchased music
    - youtube/Google Video

But all that is besides the point - I'm paying digiweb for the bandwidth - not to decide what is acceptable traffic. If someone wants to max out their cap on bit torrent downloads it's their decision and as long as they pay their bills they should get the same service as everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

kaimera wrote:
    Amm..anybody else finding Metro being a bitch the last few days?

Packetloss, webpages time out left, right and centre.

Yet the pings when they get thru are typical low double digit pings.

:( sucks atm.

Very bad & getting worse by the day. Am in dublin based off 3rock (or at least was told that).

According to IrishISPTest I'm currently @ 177 Kbps (5% of what I'm supposed to be on!) :mad:

Looking at digiweb's graphs are very weird. According to them I was @ 47Mbps last night around midnight (even though I wasn't even online at that time!) and have done no other surfing for the past week (which is very wrong).

Also, according to my download traffic, apparently i used 3.59G in the past 24 hours, yet all I've done is browsed the interent for a few hours and not downloaded any files. (And no, I'm spyware/virus free and have no filesharing software open) :eek:

Very strange. Any ideas as to what's going on ??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

Very strange. Any ideas as to what's going on ???

No ideas, but I could have sworn that my connection was being leeched as i used my 95% of my month's cap in little over a week, and i just couldn't account for 27gb of movement. My wireless connection is well protected though, so i'd be surprised if it was being robbed!

I'll be keeping a very close eye on it over the next few days... I'm sure there's a prog you can use to monitor local connection activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mine's still dropping, from a peak of nearly 5 G per month and falling to 3.9G.. Obviously novelty wearing off.

mcloughj wrote:
    I'm sure there's a prog you can use to monitor local connection activity.

I have netlimiter, which I have set to monthly stats and according to that I've only done just over 5 gigs since April 1st (and that includes accessing files on another computer and was at pretty much the same figure yesterday).

Wireless connection is secured on mac address (I don't know how I can configure it to be more secure). Housemate is also on network, but doesn't download any big files (just browsing and a bit of streaming audio from time to time - but nothing like 3.5 gigs in 24 hours).

With the traffic flow so messed up (47Mbps for a brief while and then none of my other surfing being recorded) I'm wondering how accurate these charts actually are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

Any latency and Speed issues on 3rock will be resolved friday-week,so i'm told,cant wait for it...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

just out of interest,what sort of speed/latency are 3rock users getting now,im on 145k/484k:( and lots and lots of packetloss...YaY

• Advertisement

persian wrote:
    Any latency and Speed issues on 3rock will be resolved friday-week,so i'm told,cant wait for it...:D

Excellent, hope this means I can enjoy more realistic speeds like when I first joined in December (2-3Mbps)

Advertisement