Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭persian

Btw,im not a digiweb representative,this is what i was told by a member of digiweb,not my fault if you get dissapointed like ive been many times before,this sounds promising though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I had a huge spike around midnight yesterday. 37Mbits/s if you believe that and an extra 3.5 GB downloaded. Obviously a glitch but I mailed support about it last night...no answer yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

stimpson wrote:
    I had a huge spike around midnight yesterday. 37Mbits/s if you believe that and an extra 3.5 GB downloaded.

Obviously a glitch but I mailed support about it last night...no answer yet.

Now that truly is appalling customer service!!!:)

dub45 wrote:
    Now that truly is appalling customer service!!!:)

In fairness it was late last night. I just got this in my email:
    There was a small glitch on your own stats. The engineers have confirmed this and they will reset the usage for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

The 'glitch' was due to a reset of the cards to accept the new firmware that was loaded. It is not something that happens often and in this case some of the stats would be incorrect for that period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

stimpson wrote:
    In fairness it was late last night. I just got this in my email:

That was my point:)

Firmware upgrade?? Pretty impressive upgrade if it offers 37Mbit ;) Thanks for the update Chaz.

As regards the customer service, it wasn't urgent so a reply the following morning is reasonable and I'm happy with the outcome. Whats the problem?

To be honest with you, for all the moaning that goes on here, I'm pretty happy with the level of service I get from digiweb. I've not had any of the ping problems and I think I've only had it go down once in 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I think IBB and Eicom could take a leaf out of your book CHaz, and ISP that actually want to help ! BTW I'm not a Digiweb customer but it is good advertising the help you give

there's a turn for the good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Chaz wrote:
    The 'glitch' was due to a reset of the cards to accept the new firmware that was loaded. It is not something that happens often and in this case some of the stats would be incorrect for that period.

Damn, why did I miss this glitch. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dyslexixboy

persian wrote:
    Any latency and Speed issues on 3rock will be resolved friday-week,so i'm told,cant wait for it...:D
    What about Dundalk my connection has been rubbish for the last two weeks. Im getting latency on uk servers approaching 250ms and constant connection problems and disconnections from servers. My download speeds average 20-90kbps max and this was at 3am last nite, and Im even getting webpages timing out because of latency. I run there speed tests and they were a joke.

I also have never experienced even close to their advertised 3MB download speeds. I also get the connection failing on a daily basis where Im left with no connection at all.

I emailed their support two days ago and have heard nothing if its not resolved by next wedensday the direct debit will be cancelled by friday, I've had enough of a poor service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭MrMagoo

dotsman wrote:
    Also, according to my download traffic, apparently i used 3.59G in the past 24 hours, yet all I've done is browsed the interent for a few hours and not downloaded any files. (And no, I'm spyware/virus free and have no filesharing software open) :eek:

Very strange. Any ideas as to what's going on ??? :confused:

Dotsman, just wondering how you are seeing the usage? Is this a digiweb service or a local program on your PC? Had a look at the digiweb site and can see nothing about usage meters...maybe I am just blind though :eek:

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Depends if you on adsl or Metro or FWA or Satellite.

If you are on Metro and your usage meter is setup :

http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie/

On that page click on "Show Graphs" too.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Hi,

I had problems intermitently with metro between december and march.

Chaz worked on it, trying firmware upgrades and other stats collection on the CPE unit.

I want to thank him publically for the work he did on it.

But, it wasn't until he organised a replacement of all the equipment at the house here that it was resolved.

So, Metro has been running now since 22 March trouble free, here in liemrick.

regards,
    Dave

No excuse Dave now not to chat to me on Skype! Though I think if I used semaphore you could read me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

watty wrote:
    No excuse Dave now not to chat to me on Skype! Though I think if I used semaphore you could read me.

I'm very happy now with metro, you should still join the irishwan :) there's loads of b/w available as a backup once you get to know people.

Offtopic:

We have found skype is very good at learning about proxies on the wan (that were entered into the Internet Explorer options), and becomes a super node very quickly, using previously "guest-only"*** proxies and very quickly eating up upstream b/w.

*** Lots of us give each other guess access on our BB pipes so that there is backup access available across eircom/bt/utv/netsource/digiweb/magnet etc.

So, in general, we discourage skype use on the wan (it still happens though).

regards,
    Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Guys, any update on LIM?

General browsing has been horrible since last week or the best part of it anyway.

Download have been fine as far as I can tell [I've had no probs but dunno about the rest of the lads in the house] but web traffic is crawling most times.

Last night had 40% packet loss to HEAnet, 6/10 ping attempts got thru and those were treble digit pings.

This morning pings were back to low double digits as per normal but browsing was poor on some sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Hi,

Anyone have a problem with Sky digital and Metro, I'm getting interference with non Sky stations(bbc/rte etc.) making them unwatchable.

Have tried everything!

How do you know your Sky problem is Metro? I'm not saying it isn't, though it would seem very unlikely.

kaimera wrote:
    Guys, any update on LIM?

General browsing has been horrible since last week or the best part of it anyway.

Download have been fine as far as I can tell [I've had no probs but dunno about the rest of the lads in the house] but web traffic is crawling most times.

Last night had 40% packet loss to HEAnet, 6/10 ping attempts got thru and those were treble digit pings.

This morning pings were back to low double digits as per normal but browsing was poor on some sites.

Not aware of any issues in Limerick. Have you raised it with the support guys?

watty wrote:
    How do you know your Sky problem is Metro? I'm not saying it isn't, though it would seem very unlikely.
    Metro plugged out = working sky
    Metro plugged in = skipping pictures on non sky stations.

When the thompson modem is booting, after the 3rd light flashes, the stations begin to skip.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gremlins begod , buy a hatchet.

How close are they and which sky box is it ??? The reason I ask is because some sky boxes are better than others and have better components etc .

Watty should have enough sky boxes to replicate this issue at home

I have the Thomson DOCSIS box beside a Digibox and the two coax cables are side by side for 12 feet. :)

Its a SKY+ Pace box, problem has not always occured. Would it be possible for some sorta power interference on the roof (poor insulation on dish/metro)

Any 22Khz command station(sky1, sky sports, mtv etc.) work fine, the rest don't(rte/e4/paramount etc.)

Have seperated the cables as much as possible, once i unplug the thomson box, everything is fine.

Signal test is fine for both inputs on sky. Sky *is* fine, but not alongside the Metro.

Anyone know of any setting chanes in the thomson config(http://192.168.100.1) that may help.

Time for me to talk to tech support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Chaz wrote:
    Not aware of any issues in Limerick. Have you raised it with the support guys?

Grand now [aside from boards but thats nothing you guys can do :)]

Dunno wtf was up but it was mostly the evening/night when it went to **** so here's hoping it hold up tonight :)

kaimera wrote:
    Grand now [aside from boards but thats nothing you guys can do :)]

Dunno wtf was up but it was mostly the evening/night when it went to **** so here's hoping it hold up tonight :)

If you see problems - run some ping plotter or similar - will help to try and find the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

pjproby wrote:

Those are DTT boxes, not Sky digibox.

Anyway, where is the Metro flat panel aerial with relation to the dish for Sky?

The Sky LNB signal / IF on coax is 750MHz to 2100MHz

The DOCIS signals are approx 30MHz TX to panel and 460MHz RX from panel unit outside.

The Satellite is 10.8GHz to 12.6GHz

The Metro Panel to Base signal is 10.5 GHz TX and 10.2GHz RX.

If the Metro panel is pointing anywhere near the LNB (Side of dish might be worst) it *might* overload the LNB on the lower channels (i.e. 22KHz off, 11.7GHZ is switch point).

My layout:

\ ) dish pointing south east

(on Shed roof)

Garden

Kitchen
    --
      |north facing Wall
      | 
      |] Metro panel (pointing a little east of north)
      |

Sample bad layout

--------------- Wall
       ]            \)
    Metro          Dish point S.E.
    point
    northish

zabbo wrote:
    Its a SKY+ Pace box, problem has not always occured. Would it be possible for some sorta power interference on the roof (poor insulation on dish/metro)

Any 22Khz command station(sky1, sky sports, mtv etc.) work fine, the rest don't(rte/e4/paramount etc.)

Have seperated the cables as much as possible, once i unplug the thomson box, everything is fine.

Signal test is fine for both inputs on sky. Sky *is* fine, but not alongside the Metro.

Anyone know of any setting chanes in the thomson config(http://192.168.100.1) that may help.

Time for me to talk to tech support.

No, if it is a problem with Metro there are no settings to change

Only moving the Metro antenna box away from Dish/LNB.

(The Metro is much easier to align than a Sky Dish).

I would say it is nothing to do with the Thomson box. When you unplug the Thomson box the Ogier Antenna box stops transmitting on 10.5GHz.

Thanks for your help so far, the Metro antenna was put up an extra few feet with an extention pole. I've never been on the roof, but looking from the ground, its in not in the way of the sky dish, which is attached to the chimney.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

would the beam cross over the sky beam ??? ,

eg is the flat front of the metro aerial pointing across the dish (thats wattys theory if I'm right ) ???

Advertisement