Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

damien.m wrote:
    What's the Irish for Hijacking and spamming?

I genuinely dont know :(....people only have to say they dont want us here and we will leave...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

How long does it normaly take to position the antenna for los.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i will hopefully have mine on monday morning, and i have to say the installer is bang on, he's a sound man- hes subbed out by digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

Sparky_S wrote:
    i will hopefully have mine on monday morning, and i have to say the installer is bang on, he's a sound man- hes subbed out by digiweb.

Good luck with yours. I hope you dont have neighbour problems this time. When mine came they made little effort in finding los and did not even know what direction Collins Barracks was in. Somehow I think the poor weather had something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Ive been using the service alot tonight and have to say its amazing. With the mtu problems and the telephone service now sorted its a super service that Digiweb is providing. Well done to all involved and long may it continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

crawler wrote:
    I genuinely dont know :(....people only have to say they dont want us here and we will leave...

I for one want you here - it's a pity certain other ISPs aren't so responsive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

A question for Chaz or Crawler.

I had the installers at my place yesterday and they clamed that I dont have los. It seemed these guys had no idea of the general geography of Cork and tried to blame houses for blocking the los that are in the other direction of Collins Barracks. When asked to point to the general direction of Collins Barracks they hadn't a clue. Since it was heavy rain they didn't make much of an effort to find los and were barely 5 mins ( if even that) on the roof.

At the moment I'm trying to use the line that the meaure feature in Google Earth produces to find the line it takes to my place. Theirs only about a quater of a mile of houses before it's all down hill to the barracks. What I would like to know is what area of the barracks the mast is. It seems that if it's close to the glen area I would have los but if it's closer to Old Youghal Hill it's hit or miss. A small difference in where the mast is positioned in the barracks makes a massive difference to the line it takes to my house. Do Digiweb have any way of using computer maps to find out if I've line of sight. When the weather clears up I'm planning on going up on the roof the find out if I can see Collins Barracks. If I can is their any point in reordering.

PM me your details and address and ill find out what the story is.

1huge1 wrote:
    how is one mast supposed to cover the whole of limerick
    the riverpoint or the clarion would just cover the city centre wouldnt it??
    whats the distance on them?
    or are there more than one mast like come on how is somewere like raheen or castletroy going to get it?

We can cover most from 1 site - distance is not really an issue for us - there will be a 2nd site built some time early next year to fill in and stretch the coverage even more so.

Ordered on the 21st of september, guy arrived tuesday week ago, went to get more cable so he could mount it on a different chimney cos the signal was dodge, haven't seen him since after calling the guy 3 times on his mobile, first time i was told "oh, i forgot all abotu you, it'll be monday", called monday "aye, looks like rain, don't do roof work in rain" (fair enough, even tho thursday and friday before were lovely days, grr), phoned yesterday, "i'll be up around 2, i'll call you to confirm" - after 2, "hi, cant make, have other jobs to get done, boss's decision, hopefully monday, weather permitting"

Friggin Joke, they have to move a pole, 15 feet. It would take half an hour, tops and they'd be done with me.

This better be worth it - assuming they can get a signal - all this could be for nothing.

PM me your details and address and ill try and get this sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

crawler wrote:
    1) To set up any of your free email accounts http://www.digiweb.ie/digimail/ this is actually on the home page (www.digiweb.ie) click on "webmail"

2) MTU - we have done all our "bits" just waiting on on of our backhaul fibre providers to turn on jumbo frames :) Will let you know.

3) Phone will be activated today also

I was able to set up the webmail address but how do i set up a POP3 account and Newsgroups to use with Outlook Express. Tia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

Just got it installed here in Blanch (connected to 3Rock they say) and its great...if connected directly to a PC/my laptop :)

What I want to do is connect the Thompson modem to my existing SMC Wireless ADSL router though (disabling the ADSL part of course) and share it from there.

Has anyone does this or know what settings I need to change on the router (PPPOE/ATM etc etc)

Cheers in advance :)

i think you have to change it to bridged mode, ill be in the same boat as yourself, when i get mine installed

mickger wrote:
    I was able to set up the webmail address but how do i set up a POP3 account and Newsgroups to use with Outlook Express. Tia

POP3 -> webmail.digiweb.ie
    SMTP -> smtp.digiweb.ie
    account name -> xxxx@diginet.ie
    password -> xxxx

xxx = whatever you selected

digitaldr wrote:
    I for one want you here - it's a pity certain other ISPs aren't so responsive.

Well it's a 2 sided thing - we are talking to the guys about getting our own dedicated forum - in fairness to Boards and Damiens comments above - we are a commercial company so probably only fair to meet half way. We dont want to be seen as taking advantage of Boards while at the same time do want to try to help customers.....not everyone is going to like us, no matter what we do, but that is just life! :)

Crawler: Any recommendations on how I should setup my wireless router for use with the modem?

I tried Sparky's suggestion of bridged mode but I have various encapsulation settings that can be entered on that same screen (can provide screenshots if that's any help).

One other thing that has me concerned.. having had the modem switched on for a while, there's a burning smell from the "OEM" transformer it came with. The engineer changed this already for this when he was here but this 2nd one seems to be doing the same?

I've unplugged it in the meantime (partly for this, but also while I/we sort out the router setup :)) but I'm a bit worried about leaving it unattended now as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Im not sure but i think you will need the router on static ip
    and enter the ip, subnetmask, gateway & dns settings
    digiweb gave you. Let me know if it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It's a shame, this thread had so much potential but instead has turned into every other thread about Metro, a sales and tech support channel. Perhaps the mods if they're about could rename the thread title as the content hasn't reflected the title since the second page.

Well why dont you stop reading this thread then?
    I think there are people who want to hear what
    chaz and crawler have to say.

ricey wrote:

me included

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I think there are people who want to hear what chaz and crawler have to say

I'm sure there are. Judging by the great number of posts by Chaz and crawler in this forum in the past couple of weeks, many people have heard what they have to say. There are plenty of other threads on these matters though where Digiweb Ltd have fielded sales and tech support queries for the members here, which I think is a good thing and it is nice that an ISP comes on and provides answers to queries.

However this thread is entitled: Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service?. Unlike all the other Digiweb support and sales threads, this is unique in that it is asking new Metro customers for their experiences. I started reading this thread because I wanted to read whether Metro users were, you know, happy with their service as the thread title declared.

I guess I was just expecting a wee bit too much to think that the posters, the moderators and Digiweb staff would have left people read the experiences of actual customers and respected the thread title. Live and learn. I'll let you back to your sales questions now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

ricey wrote:
    Too right. I've just been watching this thread to find out if the service works well or not. I don't know anybody with it so this is the only way.

Imagine how happy people would be if IBB engineers turned up here and sorted their every problem. Every 3rd thread is about IBB it seems, I wish they would.

Also I don't think its fair letting people come on here and badmouth their service and not letting them reply saying they've fixed it or whatever. And they wouldn't get such speedy results if they rang up the tech support line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

damien.m wrote:
    However this thread is entitled: Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service?. Unlike all the other Digiweb support and sales threads, this is unique in that it is asking new Metro customers for their experiences. I started reading this thread because I wanted to read whether Metro users were, you know, happy with their service as the thread title declared.
    I think the answer was No, they're not happy with the service. Then people obviously wanted to know why and it was the lag with web pages loading.

Then they wanted to fix it for them. Jesus they should be banned for that.

damien.m wrote:
    And they wouldn't get such speedy results if they rang up the tech support line.
    ..which incidentially WAS my first port of call. 25 minutes on hold (probably because it was Saturday) and when I did get through he managed to verify that the service itself is working in only a few minutes.

My question though is - in fairness - a "3rd party" issue but given that a lot of people here seem to be migrating from DSL services (and I'm sure will want to keep their existing hardware too), it's probably one they'll come across fairly frequently, hence why I thought I'd ask.

Maybe a bit of expansion on the Support section of the website (to include details of any recommended settings) may be in order? I've no problem with doing the work myself if I know what I need to change :)

BTW.. I personally do appreciate that the guys from Digiweb are willing to help. If only more companies did the same...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

From Board's point of view, commercial activity is not allowed. If companies want to provide support here then they should pay for it. Why should the Boards guys maintain and invest in infrastructure for the benefit of companies wanting to pimp their products? It's not as if Boards charges big money for support forums in any event.

Blaster99 wrote:
    From Board's point of view, commercial activity is not allowed. If companies want to provide support here then they should pay for it. Why should the Boards guys maintain and invest in infrastructure for the benefit of companies wanting to pimp their products? It's not as if Boards charges big money for support forums in any event.

We agree. Alternatives being looked at.

an interaction forum for digiweb is the answer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=241

not looking good for me

i should be 4mb/1mb
    and all i get is

600k/200k

i seriously hope this is only for today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

damien.m wrote:
    I'm sure there are. Judging by the great number of posts by Chaz and crawler in this forum in the past couple of weeks, many people have heard what they have to say. There are plenty of other threads on these matters though where Digiweb Ltd have fielded sales and tech support queries for the members here, which I think is a good thing and it is nice that an ISP comes on and provides answers to queries.

I guess I was just expecting a wee bit too much to think that the posters, the moderators and Digiweb staff would have left people read the experiences of actual customers and respected the thread title. Live and learn. I'll let you back to your sales questions now.

While you are quite rightly allowed to have your say, judging by the replies on this thread that other people do not agree.
    The fact that if anyone has actually mentioned problems with the service that chaz and crawler come on advising it has been repaired is a GOOD thing.
    And while yes..it does strike a bit as advertising, they are improving the service and that should give you a general impression of whether people are happy with them.
    The whole Limerick issue did (At the start) give me cause to doubt whether I actually wanted the service (as did their cheap ass phone system :p ) the replies that they have given in this forum has turned me around and now I actually am looking forward to trying the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Any news for us limerick people?

IB

• Advertisement

Advertisement