Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 GS404

damien.m wrote:
    I'm sure there are. Judging by the great number of posts by Chaz and crawler in this forum in the past couple of weeks, many people have heard what they have to say. There are plenty of other threads on these matters though where Digiweb Ltd have fielded sales and tech support queries for the members here, which I think is a good thing and it is nice that an ISP comes on and provides answers to queries.

However this thread is entitled: Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service?. Unlike all the other Digiweb support and sales threads, this is unique in that it is asking new Metro customers for their experiences. I started reading this thread because I wanted to read whether Metro users were, you know, happy with their service as the thread title declared.

I guess I was just expecting a wee bit too much to think that the posters, the moderators and Digiweb staff would have left people read the experiences of actual customers and respected the thread title. Live and learn. I'll let you back to your sales questions now.

Dont really see why it matters so much. Normally people give out F. that the company is NOT on boards, or trying to help, and then finally when a company comes along and helps out as much as they can....they get given out to. I just find that is total Cr** to be honest.

This thread is the reason why I am now going to get off my current BB and order Metro, even if I have to wait a month for it, and even if it has a cab of 30GB.

I have ONLY seen and heard good stuff about this company, only negative thing has been about Limerick, which they have already replied on, but nobody seems to listen.

I think it is great to have them here on the board, to help with any questions and problems that may arise. As I work in Tech. Support myself, I really do appreciate quick and helpful replies.

I can only say....Digiweb, you just earned yourself another Customer, well 3 actually...my entire household. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Sparky_S wrote:
    not looking good for me

i should be 4mb/1mb
    and all i get is

600k/200k

i seriously hope this is only for today.

nevermind, it seems to be fixed, but Tel1 keeps flashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

got metro 3mb installed last thurs, delighted with it so far... getting 2.5 - 2.7Mb/sec down and 320Kb/s up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

Hi folks,

Having started this thread I thought I'd come back to post my own experiences with Metro. I'm pretty impressed so far.

To begin with I got an installation very quick, its only taken about 2 weeks from me ringing them first. The guy who carried out the installation (Paul) was incredibly helpful, he rang several times to organize a suitable date, I was offered an install last friday, but seeing as I was unavailable they came again today Monday.

Anyway I have had the service up and running for a few hours now. Web browsing seems fine, a few pages are a bit sluggish, but from what I read here, it sounds like this will be sorted out soon enough.

Download speeds are fast from reliable sites such as Heanet, I got a constant speed of 370kbs, much faster than I was getting from my Irish Broadband (3mb, 16:1 contention ratio, €84 a month). Testing here: http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ I get about 3mbps down and 500kbps up, once again much faster than I have been getting with IBB in recent times (and for half the price!).

My only concern so far is Bittorrent, I haven't been able to get speeds of over 20kb a sec, 5 times slower than before. I reckon I might be able to fix this by adjusting my router settings, the change from fixed IP to dynamic may have something to do with it? Or perhaps Metro limits speeds when using standard ports for Bittorrent?

The Tel1 light is flashing, but nothing is happening when I plug in a phone. I think I read here that I will have to ring them to set up a number before this will work so I'll do that tmw. Then I'm gettting my Eircom number ported, hopefully this wont take too long.

So in conclusion:

*Excellent Installation time (considering most people seem to be waiting longer)
    *Very Helpfull Installation Staff
    *Slightly sluggish web browsing
    *Fast downloads from fast sites
    *Hopefully Bittorrent will be the same when I get it working.

So basically it's serveral thumbs up so far, and if I can get my minor difficulties sorted out and the phone working I'll be even happier. I'm looking forward to having nothing more to do with IBB and Eircom, hopefully that day will come pretty soon :)

Oh and I'm in Dublin 6 on the standard Metro package.
    Thanks for all the replies this thread has got also.

Blobert

yeah my installer was paul aswell, real sound man, rang to organise aswell, but wasnt available today so he got two of his lads, one with a beard and another lad, i think called robbie.
    Very nice installers altogether.

Blobert im D6w and i am on metro plus, but was waiting since 24th september.

Btw: can anyone tell me when the tel1 light stops flashing, as in the admin pages it says its in progress of getting Telephony-DHCP.

Great service BTW, nice and fast, cant wait for the HDTV :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

blobert wrote:
    Hi folks,

Having started this thread I thought I'd come back to post my own experiences with Metro. I'm pretty impressed so far.

To begin with I got an installation very quick, its only taken about 2 weeks from me ringing them first. The guy who carried out the installation (Paul) was incredibly helpful, he rang several times to organize a suitable date, I was offered an install last friday, but seeing as I was unavailable they came again today Monday.

Anyway I have had the service up and running for a few hours now. Web browsing seems fine, a few pages are a bit sluggish, but from what I read here, it sounds like this will be sorted out soon enough.

Download speeds are fast from reliable sites such as Heanet, I got a constant speed of 370kbs, much faster than I was getting from my Irish Broadband (3mb, 16:1 contention ratio, €84 a month). Testing here: http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ I get about 3mbps down and 500kbps up, once again much faster than I have been getting with IBB in recent times (and for half the price!).

My only concern so far is Bittorrent, I haven't been able to get speeds of over 20kb a sec, 5 times slower than before. I reckon I might be able to fix this by adjusting my router settings, the change from fixed IP to dynamic may have something to do with it? Or perhaps Metro limits speeds when using standard ports for Bittorrent?

The Tel1 light is flashing, but nothing is happening when I plug in a phone. I think I read here that I will have to ring them to set up a number before this will work so I'll do that tmw. Then I'm gettting my Eircom number ported, hopefully this wont take too long.

So in conclusion:

*Excellent Installation time (considering most people seem to be waiting longer)
    *Very Helpfull Installation Staff
    *Slightly sluggish web browsing
    *Fast downloads from fast sites
    *Hopefully Bittorrent will be the same when I get it working.

So basically it's serveral thumbs up so far, and if I can get my minor difficulties sorted out and the phone working I'll be even happier. I'm looking forward to having nothing more to do with IBB and Eircom, hopefully that day will come pretty soon :)

Oh and I'm in Dublin 6 on the standard Metro package.
    Thanks for all the replies this thread has got also.

Blobert

I agree with you on browsing i'm still finding it a big sluggish especially for a 3meg connection but Bittorent is flying alot better then it was on Clicksilver.Overall i'm pleased but the browsing is kinda nagging away at me and if that was sorted i'd be 100% happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Sparky: Mine is still flashing as well.
    It just means that they haven't setup your phone line yet!

Ring them up and find out what the story is and they'll let you know a rought time-line for when it'll happen

zoro wrote:
    Sparky: Mine is still flashing as well.
    It just means that they haven't setup your phone line yet!

Ring them up and find out what the story is and they'll let you know a rought time-line for when it'll happen

ok cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

anyone successfully use the phone service? when i try to make a call i get a strong continuous beeping sound. the phone service is enabled but i am using a wireless router. I wonder if the router is the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

sixtysix wrote:
    anyone successfully use the phone service? when i try to make a call i get a strong continuous beeping sound. the phone service is enabled but i am using a wireless router. I wonder if the router is the problem.

Ive used the phone service and the quality has been very good so far.

• Advertisement

yeah my phones are on now, i feel like im in america with the beep when your calling someone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Anyone tried VoIP like Blueface yet?

no i dont have blueface, but if this service isnt voip, why is it called a voip modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EliCash

Has anyone ported their number from Eircom to Digiweb? I want to order Digiweb Metro but I want to keep my Eircom number. Is it possible to this NOW with Digiweb? (And I don't mean the way it was "possible" with Smart!!). If it IS possible, then what's the process? Should I order Metro (with/without a new number) and when I've got it fill out the number porting form or do both simultaneously or what? I presume Metro is available in Dublin 13 area (after successful LOS test of course)?? Website just says available in Dublin.
    Chaz? Crawler?

Thanks!

Thanks for the link. I had already read that page. However, my questions were:

1. Has anyone done it successfully? Smart had a similar "Yes you can port your number" type answer in their FAQs when it actually wasn't possible (whether their fault or not).

2. In what order do I go about it? Order first, port second or do both at the same time or what?

Thanks again!

id say order first, then port, but knowing eircom you could be waiting, i ported from eircom to bt back a while ago and it took a month.

Crawler or Chaz should be able to answer this in better detail.

Ok thanks for that! Will see what they say. Might add another question to that too...

Can you order Metro with a new number and then port the Eircom number at a later date and cancel the new Metro number or would you have 2 numbers then? What exactly happens in this scenario?

Thanks!

i dont know on that one, but im sure its possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

Sixtysix:

I'm having the exact same thing happen to me to... and i'm also using a router, but i can't for the life of me see how that would cause a prob.

where are you? I'm in clondalkin.

I haven't contacted support yet because i never use the phone, so i'm not that bothered.

Oh and i'm using a crappy old eircom phone.

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Just ordered mine today and was told it will be 4 weeks that I'll have it installed. Can't wait to get it, BT have messed me about and Digiweb have been helpful trying to get me onto a new service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

i rang support this evening and they think they will sort it tomorrow-its not that important yet. hoping they introduce a decent phone package or else blueface for me. support are very helpful and the download speeds are fairly consistent.
    you would need an adaptor for blueface though which adds to the cost..

does that message light work?
    id would be good to have to tell ya when you have a new message for when you come in from work :)

Ping spikes and packetloss for most of tonight :(
    Not _terrible_ ... but consistent enough to be annoying while gaming :(

nice and fast now.

took 12mins to upload a 93mb file :D

Ah it's not the speeds that I've been having issues with tbh - its the stability :(

Does anyone else on Metro use AVG?
    My AV has been going apesh*t trying to connect to various pop3 addresses to send a mail ...
    And has been since I was first connected to the metro package. I'm really hoping this isn't spyware or something

just noticed there 5mins ago, my modem, was doing all this light flashing stuff, then it reset itself.

Dragging this old topic back up to the top of the list here - is anyone else still experiencing the strange 'DNS lag' that I've been getting since Metro was installed?

Sites are fast to load, it's broadband after all, but before the site loads there's a brief pause of a second or two where it's thinking about giving me the data. :)
    Unsure if it's just me or if others are getting it too

on and off for me tbh, boards was the worst offender, but i put it down to their servers.

i noticed a lot of lag on some US sites and are slow to finish loading, but in saying that it seems sort of more responsive this morning.

• Advertisement

Well I'll be testing it all again later on with either my dualboot of Linux, or a fresh install of Windows.
    I'm gonna go with the first one for a while though cause I don't quite fancy reinstalling my entire OS + apps + games + ...... :/

Advertisement