Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

zoro wrote:
    Dragging this old topic back up to the top of the list here - is anyone else still experiencing the strange 'DNS lag' that I've been getting since Metro was installed?

Sites are fast to load, it's broadband after all, but before the site loads there's a brief pause of a second or two where it's thinking about giving me the data. :)
    Unsure if it's just me or if others are getting it too

I don't use Metro but I my first thought when I heard about problems with web sites loading slowly was that there's something wrong with the DNS. I'm sure you can always use Eircom's DNS servers. They're very quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

downloading is excellent 705KB/s
    done one on esats ftp and it fully downloaded in 15mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

zoro wrote:
    Dragging this old topic back up to the top of the list here - is anyone else still experiencing the strange 'DNS lag' that I've been getting since Metro was installed?

Sites are fast to load, it's broadband after all, but before the site loads there's a brief pause of a second or two where it's thinking about giving me the data. :)
    Unsure if it's just me or if others are getting it too

I've had that lag also and as i've said in the thread before browsing is sluggish. For example i'm downloading a website that is 1meg in size the max speed that site will download at will be 180kB/sec which is roughly half speed for a 3meg connection. Its not a major thing but is annoying at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EliCash

Eek sounds a bit annoying! I ordered it the other day. Hope the spikey performance is fixed. My sister's Smart connection is really spikey - hope it's not like that. Anyone have any info on the phone questions I posted before? Chaz and Crawler seem to be away. Can I get a new number from Digiweb for a while to try it out and then port the Eircom one later if all is well?

EliCash wrote:
    Eek sounds a bit annoying! I ordered it the other day. Hope the spikey performance is fixed. My sister's Smart connection is really spikey - hope it's not like that. Anyone have any info on the phone questions I posted before? Chaz and Crawler seem to be away. Can I get a new number from Digiweb for a while to try it out and then port the Eircom one later if all is well?

Digiweb will give you a new number which you can use from the start and its up to you if you want to port your Eircom number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

EliCash - my spikey problems could very possibly be spyware related, so I can't really tell at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

tbh im finding sites to load faster now.

Thanks mickger! Gonna do that then until I can hopefully get rid of Eircom. Definitely keep us posted on performance issues. Will be interesting to see how the Metro network copes as time goes on. I know someone who has the regular Digiweb Wireless and I have to say, the performance is terrible. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on Metro though, based on early customer reactions and their quick response to previous problems. I just hope they keep it up cos I've seen all the **** from other providers!!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Did one of the Metro people on here say they were going to update their coverage maps ages ago?

zoro wrote:
    EliCash - my spikey problems could very possibly be spyware related, so I can't really tell at the moment

Well I've now confirmed that it's not my operating system at fault - a clean install of Ubuntu Linux and I'm STILL getting ridiculous ping spikes.
    In fact, the were _worse_ tonight than I've ever had them.

Packetloss was sky high, and pings jumping from 28 to 400.

I'll be calling them tomorrow ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

zoro wrote:
    Well I've now confirmed that it's not my operating system at fault - a clean install of Ubuntu Linux and I'm STILL getting ridiculous ping spikes.
    In fact, the were _worse_ tonight than I've ever had them.

Packetloss was sky high, and pings jumping from 28 to 400.

I'll be calling them tomorrow ....
    Damnitalltohell! I was hoping no-one would be complaining about packetloss. No point in switching from IBB to Metro if i'm still going to be getting packetloss and horrible ping spikes.

Let us know how you get on, and whether its fixable or not. I wonder what their excuse will be...

Damnitalltohell! I was hoping no-one would be complaining about packetloss. No point in switching from IBB to Metro if i'm still going to be getting packetloss and horrible ping spikes.

Let us know how you get on, and whether its fixable or not. I wonder what their excuse will be...

I was getting ping spikes and packetloss last night too. I'd like to hear from the two guys from Digiweb to hear what their excuses are. They have been kinda quiet in this thread for a while now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

This thread seems to be more of a 'whats wrong with my digiweb service' than whether or not people like it. 10 pages is a bit much to read for someone thinking of getting METRO

Maybe someone can start a new thread or a poll with ONLY replies to say whether they like it or not??.

The service is really poor today. Starting to become more and more frustrated with it. Check out the attachment for a speedtest i just did.

bloody dns is down again.

What are the eircom dns ip's?

159.134.237.6 and 159.134.248.17.

Thanks for that - still no joy though.

Crawler/Chaz: How many support staff do you have on at weekends? Any time I've ever rang I've been on hold for nearly 20 mins :/
    Currently at 13 mins

this is f*cking ridiculous ... 25 mins and I'm still sitting here listening to music.

and there are currently no support notices - despite the fact that dns is completely dead (i'm accessing boards via it's ip atm)

Don't like the sound of this! Need to hear from Digiweb asap about this. Thinking of cancelling if it's not sorted soon. If I can that is... off to read the terms again.

Can you not get NTL? I thought Tallaght was the prime location of NTL's broadband service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭blobert

My speeds have dropped right down in the last 2 days. It was constantly up at 3mbps for the first week or so, now its all over the place. 700kbps yesterday, a little bit faster today.

Hopefully these are still teething difficulties, I don't want another IBB :) I've still got their stuff on my roof!

Blaster99 wrote:
    Can you not get NTL? I thought Tallaght was the prime location of NTL's broadband service.
    Aye, it is. But i don't live in tallaght :p The Knocklyon road is covered by NTL (my friend has it) but i live one road over and i'm not covered. I'd jump on NTL the second they cabled my road... if they ever do. They've been promising for the last 3 years, so i'll just keep waiting for the letter to pop through my letter box.

I'm _f*cking_ pissed off with this.

God damn it. This DNS issue is so annoying. It doesnt matter if I add another DNS server to my list, it's STILL not resolving a thing *ready to rip modem off desk and through it at a small puppy*

edit posts isnt working for me :/

Can someone confirm the metro dns servers for me please?
    DNS1: 83.147.160.2
    DNS2: 83.147.160.3

And can you ping them?

Can't ping those... try the IBB DNS servers (just as a tester).

nope no joy - are they definitely public dns servers?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Still I wait for the other half of my install since for almost four weeks now (ordered 7 weeks ago). Despite many reassurance both from the desk, the actual installer and the digiweb dudes on here I'm still sitting at home with a useless antennea on my roof which needs to be moved 15 feet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

My metro connection has been grand since yday, no probs whatsoever. My modem was rebooted on Friday so i could get telephone service working ok which may or may not have had an effect but then again the broadband side was always ok for the last week at least.
    The ISP speed test returns expected qos values of 94%.

Could you tell me your DNS servers please?

Open a command prompt (Start -> Run ... cmd), and type: ipconfig /all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

zoro wrote:
    edit posts isnt working for me :/

Can someone confirm the metro dns servers for me please?
    DNS1: 83.147.160.2
    DNS2: 83.147.160.3

And can you ping them?

They are the DNS settings I use for my 1meg Digiweb DSL. I can't ping them but they work. They gave me some trouble in the begining too, I just had to make sure to enter them in the settings of every device that uses the Internet connection. Lan card, wifi card, and ATA. Hope this helps.

Advertisement