Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metro Users: Are you Happy with your Service? Post Here Please...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

I'm in clondalkin, so i could be... not definite though. I take it that you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

also in clondalkin and still experiencing slooow speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

is your box face pointing towards dublin mountains or in the finglas direction, as 3 rock is flying along

irish speed test now showing 1mbps download which is an improvement

it's kinda pointing inbetween the two options you gave Sparky! I'd guess I'm on 3rock, so that's a bit of a mystery. Cheers for your help mate. Hopefully myself and sixty six will be back in businness...

If not my wife's gonna kill me!

Cheers

• Advertisement

well if its inbetween, your radio possibily isnt getting full signal, that could be causing your problem to escalate in bad weather.

Im in harolds cross so im right in the path of the 3 rock masts, so thats why i have a good signal and speed id assume.

ok, so heres a wierd thing that happens to me, i use my i6000 on metro mainly, and i get an ip address ending in .248 and get full speed.

But tonight i was doing a defrag on the i6000 and decided to use the other laptop, but aswell as getting a different ip (.58) my speed droped to 786k/ 45k
    Im not sure why this has happened, i think its something to do with mac addressing.
    When i do get a router, will i give my router the .248 ip so that i can get my full speed?

i have been getting slow speeds since wednesday-irish speed test reporting 1.00mpbs currently though visually it seems faster. i rang digiweb yesterday and they emailed these links to test the speed
    http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/coredistro/core_iur_disk-1.
    iso.gz

i have no idea how to use them though or even what they are
    you need this file to unzip them http://www.winace.com
    perhaps sparky you can make sense of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

sixtysix wrote:
    i have been getting slow speeds since wednesday-irish speed test reporting 1.00mpbs currently though visually it seems faster. i rang digiweb yesterday and they emailed these links to test the speed
    http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/coredistro/core_iur_disk-1.
    iso.gz

i have no idea how to use them though or even what they are
    you need this file to unzip them http://www.winace.com
    perhaps sparky you can make sense of it.

Maybe they were just giving you a link (doesn't work for me btw!) to a large file. The contents of the file might be meaningless but Heanet is a site that will allow you to use your full bandwith, and you'll get a better idea of your speed by downloading a larger file, that the few seconds it takes to do a speed test. I think they were meaning you just to download this and note the speed it is coming in at.

When I had Digiweb Wirless, I used find it would take a while to get into full swing, I assume because of distances, and lag associated with Wireless.

Hope you can make sense of this :)

thanks i just used http://www.onspeed.com/en/speed_test.php to test the speed and i am getting much higher speeds-perhaps it is irish speed test which is the problem.

• Advertisement

Try downloading iTunes from here http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ this will give you a good idea of speed, and if you are mainting that speed. I get 90-100 Kb/s on a 1meg connection.

yeah i tried on my normal laptop which always gets the .248 ip and i get my full speed but have noticed the upload has got worse and my pings are now in the thousands.
    And ive used the other laptop which now always gets a .58 ip and its a 1mb with worse uploads aswell (thats even after a modem reset)

No im going to take aswell into account that im using my old ADSL router as a bridge and which isnt designed for cable, but im getting a cable router tomorrow anyways, but what i wanna know is do i put my .248 ip in the cable routers settings so that i know i will have my full speed?

downloaded itunes -took approx. 5 minutes 33.6mb file

sixtysix wrote:
    downloaded itunes -took approx. 5 minutes 33.6mb file

Just downloaded a fresh copy now, took me 5mins 16 seconds on a 1meg DSL Digiweb connection. You should be 3 times faster than me. I do seem to get a very good connection here but yours should be at least twice as fast.

If I was you i'd probably do this a couple of times, note the speed you get and the time taken, and then give them a ring. Let them know you know what your taking about!

yeah that damn linksys router was fecking me up.

Itunes downloaded in 46seconds, but because of a burst of 4067kb/s then settled at 750kb/s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I've been in contact with tech support, and the ping spike issues that I've been experiencing are being caused by a network problem that they're aware of.

I'm told that it's being looked at, but I've no idea when it'll be done. And I've also had those speed issues :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

zoro wrote:
    and the ping spike issues that I've been experiencing are being caused by

There are no ping spikes. Just face facts....you're crap at the game. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Khannie wrote:

lmao

Khannie wrote:
    :D

has anyone else lost metro tonight, my modem just keeps flashing on internet, id assume its to do with the weather.

now it wont go past PC link flashing then starts over again, i had a look out my attic window and it looks like the aerial box has moved slightly over to the left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Sparky_S wrote:
    has anyone else lost metro tonight, my modem just keeps flashing on internet, id assume its to do with the weather.

now it wont go past PC link flashing then starts over again, i had a look out my attic window and it looks like the aerial box has moved slightly over to the left.

Should be back now ...

Should be back now

Nope it isn't!

Chaz wrote:
    Should be back now ...

yeah is back, i got your office and got the service report, so what was the problem, i was thinking for a while that my aerial got slightly moved in the wind and rain.

Yeah it was back - then died again for a few seconds .... *grumble disconnected from games again* :)

zoro wrote:
    Yeah it was back - then died again for a few seconds .... *grumble disconnected from games again* :)

Same to me aswell
    id assume its some upgrades or just the weather affecting stuff, chaz enlighten us all :D

Edit: Back now, cheers chaz and the rest of the tech team, atleast you are in touch with your customers :D

disconnected again!

mcloughj wrote:
    Should be back now

Nope it isn't!

Struggling with one sector - we have an engineer out and im working with him from this side.

zoro wrote:
    disconnected again!

im still on, im on 3 rock btw, or i must be on a different sector to zoro

Sparky: I think so - just had another disconnection :(

*sits it out and waits*

• Advertisement

zoro wrote:
    Sparky: I think so - just had another disconnection :(

*sits it out and waits*