Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows stuck in 256

• 10-09-2001 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

On my computer in windows it appears to be stuck in 256 colour even though in display it tells me i am on 32 bit. In games, the 32-bit colour works perfectly but its just stuff like bitmaps and icons and any other windoews image that appears to be in 256 solor display. Has anyone ever encountered this problem before? I tried re-installing the graphics card drivers (gf2MX) but still nothing.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭GenX

Neil, i presume u mean that in the :
    control panel > Display > settings it says that u are using 266 colours?

bring that up to wotever ya want, i use 1024x768 for my GeForce2mx, then click apply?

Try booting up in safe mode do it from there?

Get the latest drivers for ure GeForce, im using 12.40 drivers.

GenX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

no, it says that it is in 32-bit colour but everything still looks like 256 colour. Where can these latest drivers be obtained?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭GenX

wot type of GFX card u have??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I've just spent the last hour or so messing about with my drivers.
    My system was hanging when i tried to run any application that was in any way graphics based, and it also hung when i tried to access some of the display properties.

Anyway, i'll get to the point. Download some updated drivers if you need them, then uninstall the current drivers. Don't just try and install new drivers over old ones. I uninstalled my drivers and re-installed the drivers and everything was hunky-dory. If you're unsure of what to do, go read the read-me file that comes with the detonator drivers.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

hmm sounds like yer driver might be messed up there ?

If I could suggest you install that video card as a vga card reboot and then install it's proper dirver - that should(though might not) fix your problem.

"quid proquo"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Just wanted to emphasize again that it's important to uninstall your old drivers first, even if you're only reinstalling the same drivers.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Cheers to everyone that tried to help.

In answer to a few questions:
    Its a Geforce2 MX
    Now the box says palitdaytona on it but it is nVidia according to the drivers.

ill try uninstall and reinstall

once again the commenwealth of australia thanks you for your service

Fly Qantas!!!

Advertisement