Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of veggie are you?

Options
  • 03-10-2005 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Do you folks think there is a common personality type amongst veggies?

I was thinking about the common perception that veggies are all hippy types, obviously this is wrong there are all sorts of us, but do you think there are common personality patterns?

A lot of veggies I meet would also be the liberal/sustainable/recycling type. Even though I work in business, I would have definite alternative leanings.

I also find that we veggies are generally a friendlier nicer bunch.

whats your experience? Have you meet any veggies that are complete gits? Is there a common thread that runs amongst us, or am I talking nonsense?

There is no particular reason for me asking, I just think its an interesting topic on a sociological level.

Whats your view?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

One of my friends is the complete hippy stereotypical vegetarian and then there are the lisa simpson type ones i know.It's random really.It doesn't matter what you eat, you can be like anything!

what ttype of veggie am i?...a social vegetable! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

I dunno about that, but I have a few friends that are veggies and they're all lovely! It might have something to do with having an awareness about how you live, or maybe thats just wishfull thinking!

Anyways I thought this tread might be about whether you are a vegan or lacto or whatever. I remember someone telling me I was a lacto years ago, but I never met anyone else who knew what this is. So I did a quick search and I found this...

"Ovo-Lacto vegetarians do not eat meat or flesh of any kind, but do eat eggs and dairy products. Sometimes ovo-lacto vegetarians eat meat by-products (e.g. fats, bonemeal, gelatin) and use animal-derived products (leather etc.)...Ovo vegetarians eat eggs but not dairy products, while Lacto vegetarians eat dairy products but not eggs."

So now there's another category of vegetarian, ovo. Well I'm a lacto that wouldn't mind eating free range eggs. I presume the not eating eggs is just in case they are baby chick eggs. So what are you??

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

So now there's another category of vegetarian, ovo. Well I'm a lacto that wouldn't mind eating free range eggs. I presume the not eating eggs is just in case they are baby chick eggs. So what are you??

I don't think it's that. I think it's just the same basis as vegans not eating eggs. I've seen the site you quoted that from, but I can't understand what the difference is between a vegetarian according to their definition (i.e. non-ovo, non-lacto) and a vegan.

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, although recently I've been cutting down on all animal products to a much greater extent than I used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭miss serena

Oh right. I suppose that means Im an ovo-lacto vegetarian too. I thought it was an either or thing, either ovo or lacto, but you can be ovo-lacto. Hmm, its kinda confusing :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

yeah, i just dont eat meat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I find vegans particularly annoying - I think their attitudes are especially condescending. I have nothing in particular to back this up - I just find that reasons to be a vegan are questionable at best

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Slice- if you are going to make claims like that, back it up, or don't post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Slice wrote:
    I find vegans particularly annoying - I think their attitudes are especially condescending. I have nothing in particular to back this up - I just find that reasons to be a vegan are questionable at best

This reminds me of the recently voted "best religious joke of all time" by Emo Philips.
    Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

no offense intended it just struck me as similar and the joke was fresh in my mind :D

(great joke by the way ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Slice wrote:

I think I know what you're saying,
    I tend to associate it especially with Americans that do it just as part of a trend, gross over-generalisation I know but I think it has some truth to it.

Not that there's anything wrong with trend-following, but if you are going to do something you might as well do it for a good reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Do you know whats really weird? I dont actually know any veggies. I had never noticed it before. Thats strange!

Which brings me to the point that i think the veggie stereotype may be right. I dont hang around with many hippie types either.

Nothing against them or you veggies but just saying it like it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

enda1 wrote:
    Do you know whats really weird? I dont actually know any veggies. I had never noticed it before. Thats strange!

Which brings me to the point that i think the veggie stereotype may be right. I dont hang around with many hippie types either.

Nothing against them or you veggies but just saying it like it is.

Hmmm, a bit of a problem with the reasoning there. On the one hand you say that you don't know any veggies, but on the other you say that the veggie stereotype' may be right.

Here's the question: if you don't know any veggies, how do you know if the stereotype is right or not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That rationale leads to ''I don't know any vegetarians, jews or nazi's...good old nazi jew vegetarians eh?" (:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Lacto vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Blonde vegetarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

I'm a vegie of the skinhead, rifle club member type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

then there is the "I am a veggie apart from eating chicken"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

I'm a happy hippy vegetarian with vegan tendencies. Yeah, I noticed that (in my limited experience) vegetarians tend to be friendly and agreeable, but this rule only seems to apply to vegetarians who made the choice in later life (as opposed to being born into it) so I think it must be to do with the degree of social awareness/good attitude that is necessary to make the move?
    Peace n Love!
    Anto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

I'm vegan.... Not so much for moral reasons, but moreso for health. I don't think it's fair for anyone to force their views on others, but if people seem interested I will explain to them my reasons for being vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

There are quite a few people who are veggie for their health, and then there are the ones who just don't like animals full stop, this being their reason for not eating them. And there are the ones who just do it to be different

Advertisement