Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent News & Media launches new job portal but drives traffic to competitor.

• 03-10-2005 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Has anyone noticed the ads on tele for the new jobsite loadzofjobs.com? Well I thought I did. Went to the browser and typed it in and I was taken to Keylands irishjobs.com and welshjobs.com. Thought I must have spelt it wrong.

Changed 'z' to a 's', as in loadsofjobs.com, again taken to the keyland sites. Tried using .co.uk and .ie of the names, same again. I was stunned because I knew that was not the site that has been on the tele. Eventually saw the ad on tele again and studied it carefully, the site is get this, loadzajobs.com. Sure enough this is the Independent News & Media Company website.

So how does a company like Independent News & Media Company get it so wrong. They are on a large advertising campaign right now but the majority of users are being driven to their competitors site. How did the marketing guys get it so wrong?

Kudos to Keyland for pouncing on the opportunity. I would love to see the server stats for loadzofjobs.com and loadsofjobs.com and the respective .ie and .co.uk. I bet they are getting more hits combined than the actual site advertised, loadzajobs.com.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

You dont really make sense in the first 2 paragraphs - are you saying you misread the ad? I dont see what IN&M have got wrong at all.
    I thought the ads on tele clearly have loadzajobs as opposed to loadsofjobs.
    In other words, they are advertising correctly their website.

However, Keyland does have a rival site... and one I havent seen advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gemwol

I thought the site was loadzofjobs.com, my mistake not paying very close attention to the advert on tele, but this is a mistake being made by a lot of other viewers. Thus, a lot of of the ad spend on this campaign loadzajobs.com by INM is driving customers to their rivals website, loadsofjobs.com.

You are one of the clever ones, you managed to get the name right in the advert from the get go, but a big % aren't?

Keyland quickly saw this typo flaw and capitalized on it very quickly. This is a marketing disaster for INM. The only public method of gauging the flaw is when Overture updates the search at the end of the month and we compare the 2 sites for hits. From that we can gauge what % of customers they are loosing/driving to their rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Not only are they helping their competitor by choosing a confusing name they also have a bad website - I don't like it that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

ah, I see your point now - sorry mate.
    Interesting point alright. I wonder who got theirs first and if they are legally registered - anyway one or the other can fight for the others address?
    Sure seems cut throat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gemwol

The only reason it came to my attention is that the ad reminds of the dotcom ads of the nineties. We dont see them much anymore. They should have stuck to real words instead of using street cred slang. This kind of website was the trademark story of F'C.com for years, but it looks like very little has been learned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement