Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing SMART modem fecked my computer up...

• 03-10-2005 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Just installed the driver for the Aolynk modem SMART just delivered to me.

But now I can't set it up as whenever I open a web browser I get an error in: KERNEL32.DLL

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if I can fix it easily enough?

The system is running off WindowsME btw

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Could you be more specific about the error (exact wording etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

dearg_doom wrote:
    The system is running off WindowsME btw

Thats your problem right there. Windows ME is **** in every respect, even more so when it comes to networking. I had something along those lines when using esats usb modem. Gave up and upgraded to 2k.

Just use system restore to bring you back to before you installed the modem software and use the ethernet interface. You will save yourself so much time and hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Maybe this was the wrong forum to post this in.. mods what do ye think?

Yeah I know ME is crap but it'll do till I upgrade next year(hopefully)

I just can't figure out what this kernel32 error is though.

The computer was fine before I installed the modem, now it's having fits everytime I so much as look at it :(

The specific error message is this, for example if I'm trying to use Firefox:

Firefox has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL
    Firefox wil now close.

It gets worse... This error comes up all the time, from Opera to Picture viewer(I can't even open a picture now ffs)!!

It get's even worse...

There's this other error message that pops up all the time just for the hell of it:

Rpcss has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL
    Rpcss will now close.

This is wrecking my head bigtime at this stage so any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: oh yeah I tried SystemRestore, but hadn't any restore points to go back to :o... this has been a very neglected poor computer(laptops are just so much more fun to play with) but I'm sure it'll be fixable. Reinstall maybe if I have to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Try posting it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=105

You might have more success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Your best bet is to have a quick google on how to do that.

Or reinstall.

But to be honest I had this hassle with Esats USB modem on my ME machine (the pain it brings just thinking of it) I just gave up and formatted my HDD and started fresh.

ME is such a crock of ****, personally I think formatting your hdd is the only way to go.

After backups of course! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

If you google it, nothing comes up with that exact message, but EVERY result has a hijackthis log in it and mentions spyware.
    Dunno if that is helpful, but it is an observation.

Advertisement