Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a joke??

• 03-10-2005 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

NTL installed broadband today. The 2 Mb option.

I am getting now speeds of 1.6 -2 Mb/sec according to free online banwidth test sites but my "real" speed is completely diferent..it takes almost a minute to open a site (any website). Is just as slow as dial-up. What is going on?

Anyone have the same weird problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Had NTL BB installed today aswell. Got the 3mb package as first 3 months are free and then I can downgrade if I want to ;) No problems here. I did a bandwidth test and got 2.6mb so that's close enough for me. Any website I go to takes milliseconds and no, they're not just cached sites. Boards is the only site giving me grief but it's been like that for ages now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If web sites are slow to load initially but downloads are fast, then it's usually a DNS problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

reyner wrote:

I am getting now speeds of 1.6 -2 Mb/sec according to free online banwidth test sites but my "real" speed is completely diferent..it takes almost a minute to open a site (any website). Is just as slow as dial-up. What is going on?

maybe you are bogged down with spyware etc...have you got spy-bot and adaware installed..if not google them and download the free software and run them...may speed it up for ya!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭reyner

Hi stag..no probs with spyware or viruses.

Blaster99 ----what can I do to fix a DNS problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

I've recently gotten NTL BB here as well, and no problems. On a package like aaf - 3 meg for the first 3 months then downgrade if we want. Absolutely no problems when it came to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Same here. Got NTL recently. Installed within a week. 3mb when free, then can downgrade/upgrade month by month. No speed problems at all.

Signed up with Blueface and bought a Linksys router they configured for me. Currently porting my number to Blueface and then bye bye eircon!
    Canceling my landline! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

reyner wrote:

Location mate?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=304399

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

reyner wrote:

What do you mean by 'real' speed? If you go to http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/ this will check your ACTUAL speed and is extremely accurate. I know a person who got 2Mb NTL installed on a PC running W98. Machine was clocking 1.2 Megs on the test site. Laptop connected to the same modem was clocking 1.965 Mbps. CLEAN YOUR PC!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Have had NTL BB base package (300 kb/s or so) that was then upgraded (1MB or so) for a year now, never any such problem. I'd say your PC/software needs some tweaking... Check for spyware, bloatware, check your F'Wall rules & check which (background) app is connected/uploading (you'd be surprised).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

reyner where are you living there is bad service "low speeds at variuos peak times times" in D15 area!! read the thread,

NTL is VERY popoular in the areas as DSL is virtually unexistant! I dont dowload much but rely on good latency, this is effected too!!

just get on and ask them to sort it out !

check your modem power levels too see if its a cable signal issue:- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

just in case

• Advertisement
Advertisement