Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honours maths

• 03-10-2005 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hey im attempting to do honours maths in 5th year.Im finding it really difficult any words of advice from 6th years?Also we are only halfway through the 1st chapter whereabouts are other 5th years in the book, we seem to be movin really slowly?But at the same time its not as though im able to speed up.Im using texts and tests

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I suggest you give honours a serious attempt. Even if you do it up to christmas in 6th year and if you can't take it anymore then just take ordinary...but doing that little bit more work at honours will equip you greatly for ordinary.

If you are capable, take honours straight through to your leaving. It will give you more points and open up lots of college courses that require honours maths. Though if there's any risk that you will fall, don't do it, it's just not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Hey,

I do honous maths and am in 6th year. Personally i dont find it too hard but i know it can be difficult. However honours maths is always good to have. You have any idea what college course you want to go for as it might be an entrance requirement.

My advice would be that its earlydays yet so I think you should stick at it as long as you can. Work hard and look at your situation after your christmas exams and if you are still struggling then maybe a drop down is on the cards.

Remember you can go from honours down to pass but there's no going back the other way, so make sure whatever you decide is the right thing for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

good advice given. Keep with it as long as possible. It's likely that you will find it getting easier as you do more, and than you can think about sticking it through. If not, the longer you do it, the easier it will be if you drop to ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

halfway through the first chapter at this stage is too slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

Yea i thought so doesnt help that our teacher hasnt been in 4 two weeks and we a have a nice but crap teacher as a sub.Were doin surds.Theyre so much easier than the roots of the equation and alpha and beta and all.Did anyone else find them IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I lasted until the end of september last year! What a relief to get out of that class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm doing probability at the moment, we have 2 chapters left to do on the whole course. Does probability seem like first year maths to anyone else?

Eg. "What is the probability of drawing an black ace from a pack of cards?"

Er...2/52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

wel personally i love ordinary level maths...i jst fly thru that class :D

fair play to all of you doing honours!! i dropped down last year, not coz i cudnt do them, but coz there were other subjects that i NEEDED and that i cud give more attention to if i didnt do honours!!

i say stick at honours AT LEAST till easter of 5th year...if by then you are still finding the course really tough, drop down! if not..well done!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Funkstard wrote:
    I'm doing probability at the moment, we have 2 chapters left to do on the whole course. Does probability seem like first year maths to anyone else?

Er...2/52

the questions are not all as easy as that, especially if you're doing the probability option on section B of paper two.
    Anyway, some people have a knack for it, some people dont. You may find it easy, whereas others dont. I quite like it myself, but there are a lot more challenging questions than your example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh I know, we're on the hardest ones now. I was a bit lost through the whole thing, although in general I find the chapter so so.

My teacher told us to be extremely weary of the question though, because its mostly just writing the answer and you're either right or wrong, so if you make a mistake here and there there's no attempt marks to save you. I'll probably stay away from the question tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

It gets easier later in the year, my advice would be to keep at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

ya that alpha beta stuf is really mind boggling! im doing honours atm and finding it very difficult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

stick with it, seriously. most courses in college need maths, some form of it. and the higher level ya can stick with before college, the easier you'll find it in college. even though you're only in 5th yr, buy the papers, practise some questions (on whatever chapter you're doing) and hand them up to your teach to correct. most teachers will do it no problem, they tend to be nice people if you make the effort! and with maths, practice makes perfect and there's only a certain number of questions they can ask, they just change the numbers and the wording.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Funkstard wrote:

Er...2/52
    I thought probability and statistics was a piece of piss tbh! But then again I noticed on this forum last year that people seemed to either love probability and hate trigonometry, or the other way round. So I guess it depends on the person
    Regarding the OP though - stick with it as long as you can. Even if you drop down to pass at the beginning of 6th year, after that work you're pretty much guaranteed an A at ordinary level!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Trampas

I did honours maths for one year but I didn't think the work involved was not needed for my course so dropped out.

Do i if you need it but don't if you don't need it and means you will sacifice other subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

nothing should be too difficult in the 2nd month of 5th year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

Think ill stick with it for a while anyway.we havent even had a test yet so i cant really guage how much im taking in.I might wait till the christmas exams and make a decision then!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I tried honours Maths at the start of 5th year and couldn't hack it. It requires a huge volume of work and commitment. By the end of 6th year 2/3rds of the honours Maths class dropped to Ordinary level. Most of us who had the basic grounding in honours Maths did get an A1 or an A2 in Ordinary level so if you want to stay safe and your course doesn't require Higher level doing Ordianry level is a good option to bank 50 or 60 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yea i thought so doesnt help that our teacher hasnt been in 4 two weeks and we a have a nice but crap teacher as a sub.Were doin surds.Theyre so much easier than the roots of the equation and alpha and beta and all.Did anyone else find them IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!
    Oddly enough, that is the exact same situtation as me. The pass class are almost done with their second chapter, and (apparently) we'll finish chapter one this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭lau1247

If anyone planing to do engineering..
    Be sure that you have at least honours maths..

When I was doin LC back in summer 04..
    I thought it is as hard as it gets..
    But man.. in university it gets harder..

Just to prepare you guys..

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Yea, it's been said, but if you don't need honours maths, or more importantly, if you don't like it, don't do it. It's SOOOOO much easier to do it if you enjoy it and don't mind sitting down and doing questions for a few hours. It takes a lot of time and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

well im in 6th year now,
    i tried keeping honours maths on during 5th year..
    but in class i didnt actually do anything, and by the end of the year i only got 9% (after trying)
    im now doing ordinary level.

My advice is to try and learn the stuff when your told to, and understand what the teacher is doing when s/he does out questions..
    and dont do drugs !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Best advice I can give, coming from a now sixth year is do the work in fifth year, an extra half an hour each night or so just to keep on top of things - and pay attention in class. I only half did, and now i'll have to catch up as well as stay with the current topics. It's not the easiest, but yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i did honours maths for my LC, at the start of 5th yr there was 2 classes, round 60 ppl doin it, in the LC there was bout 20 of us. my teacher went on maternity leave jan of 6th yr, so we had a new teacher which messed us up a bit jus b4 d pre's! (i had the same teacher for french n eng as well n she went on maternity leave jus after d pre's!!)

i advise u to stick with it, its worth it. A D in HL is the same points as an A in OL i think so u cant really go wrong. at least see how ur getin on at the end of 5th yr, if u find it to difficult then change. g'luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 C.H.

CrimE wrote:
    Hey,

Remember you can go from honours down to pass but there's no going back the other way, so make sure whatever you decide is the right thing for you.

When I started 5th year I was put into pass maths, I fought and fought to get put into honours. With the help of my Dad and some patience I finally got back into honours. :p

If you feel you can do it fight for it. I got a C2 in the leavin in honours the first time around, got me an A2 the second time around (needed to repeat for points, best decision I ever made). :D

Don't think its easy though, I worked really hard at it the second time around, but it did really pay off!!!! Got my first choice and am really enjoying it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Fair play, I stand corrected then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

I,m not the best to give advice coz i asked to drop down to pass after one class!!Obviously the teach wouldn't let me and made try another month..
    To be honest even though i could sort of manage it stressed me out sooo much it really wasn't worth it coz it started eating into my other subjects.
    I dropped down and took on another subjeect which makes it a bit easier because next year if i,m struggling at another subject i can drop down and still aim for 600 *which isn't gonna happen but anyhu*

Sorry for rambling,,my advice is ask yourself do you really need it.If its really stressing you..drop but if you think you can manage keep going!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

the best thing really is just pay attention in class and practice. it does get way easier in 6th, after all, your maths maaturity peaks at 18! (fact)

i hate probability. cant get my headaround it at all! gimme some trigonometric geometry any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

damn i didnt turn 18 till halfway thru first yr in coll, that explains it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭dr zoidberg

Honours maths is hard, but not impossible. However it does require a lot of hard work, and you can't really relax in any part of it. I did it in 6th year but dropped down to pass after the mocks (which were ridiculously held in March). I was too lazy for honours maths, and besides I didn't need honours for the course I wanted so the effort wasn't worth it. (Also, I only turned 17 a few days after the Leaving - so maybe maturity was a problem.)
    I'd advise anyone who isn't sure to try and stick with it as much as possible, because pass maths is a joke compared to honours. I did honours maths for the JC and pass was the exact same in the LC. When you do pass, you keep expecting to be caught out in your answers - but you never are, the complete opposite to honours in that respect.

Advertisement