Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

honours maths

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

^^ our pres were in feb, thats crazy, we still had 3 full months left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Honours is puzzling me. I've been fine up until this year, when suddenly I get tests back and see 40-45% marks. I don't want to drop down to pass cos I'm already doing pass in 2 subjects and maybe a third.

thats what happened me too, dont be put off by low marks, once your passin..i got a low D in pres, stuck with it and came out with a C1 in the *real* exams..at least see how the pres go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

im kinda getting my head around it now!Im glad i didnt drop down.One of my friends did and she says pass is a COMPLETE joke.She sits there doing nothing in class and comes out with 100% in every test

there is a huge difference in honours and pass, my friend dropped down after the pores, and actually took a while gettin used to the completely different course!! pity bout your friend, she prob coulda stuck with hons

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

To do well in maths you have to PRACTICE. Forget learning anything. 90% of what u do should be questions from the book and papers. If you cant do a Q go through the book and stuff u took down in class and try and figure it out yourself. Then if you cant do it go onto www.e-xamit.ie or ask your teacher. What you will be given in the exam will be stuff u havnt seen before so only practice will help you.
    Maths is the only subj where learn HOW to do sumthin not just a pile of information. It tests your ability to think and you dont do that staring at a book. Ideally your head should be spinning after a maths exam because your brain should be goin flat out. Thats why the two maths papers are on different days unlike english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I don't know about that... I did my LC a few years ago, but don't you have to learn the proofs and formulas? I had to try and REMEMBER HOW to do the actual sums themselves aswell- the sequence of the different steps involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Madge wrote:
    I don't know about that... I did my LC a few years ago, but don't you have to learn the proofs and formulas?
    Yes thats true but you will learn the formulae by using them over and over. Itd be no harm to write the formulae and the some of the theory down on a page and look over it and learn it but at the end of the day the bulk of the marks are for doing the questions and at higher level(in a good few other subj's as well as maths) you are going to have to adapt your information to fit the question and practice is the only way you can improve your technique.
    As for proofs; just do them as you come across questions asking for proofs in revision or whatever. Personally; my teacher is leaving out the proofs until the course is finished b/c theres no point learning them in 5th yr.
    But as far as I know theyre only a relatively small part of the course.

Advertisement