Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Cost

Options
  • 04-10-2005 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

We will be starting our build soon. (and already I'm having sleeples nights about it :rolleyes: !!!!!) due to time constraints we have to start fairly soon but of course finance is tight.

we are putting up a dormer of block contruction. in all it will be about 2600 sq ft of living space. does anyone think that approx €12K will get me anywhere near getting the foundation in.

this is to include

site clearance
    foundations dug
    normal strip foundations poured
    foundation finished to floor level (Footings, DPC, Radon Barrier, etc etc)

any opinions really appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

very hard to judge lad, but if u don't need rock breakers in and that you are not building on a bog that will require tons of fill then you should be fine within that figure.

Have a look at the site and see if you can judge what work has to be done,
    Of course the best way is to get a builder in and get a price off them for that work only

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Site conditions should be ok. at least the other people that have built around there have not had any huge problems.( I think) it's flat enough aswell.

I might have a hop off a few builders in the area and see what they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

My quotes are nearer 15k on a relatively straightforward site.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

15k for a strip foundation, that is mad money, I got a raft for almost the same sq footage put in for 12k.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Price includes opening new entrance opening driveway and supplying stone for driveway. Do you think its still on the high side? Got two quotes almost the same. Its for a timber frame house not that it should be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 slopey

Does anyone have a idea of concrete costs (30 newton)? Just got quote in for raft(labour and machine hire) and looking to price materials myself. Where's the best place to get your steel from? Also looking to price blocks, complete doh question but what type of block goes on the outside of a timber frame? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

no offence, but open the golden pages and look for concrete companies. roadstone are one, but there'll be lots of others in your area. then call them :)

chadwicks or any builders merchants will have steel.

it's a standard 4inch block isn't it?

good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Getting prices in Galway is a nightmare, they take so long to get back to you etc. Its quite hard to know where to start but there is a place out in Tuam called Halcon that is meant to be the cheapest for steel. Lackagh quarry is meant to be quite good on fill and concrete but it depends on where you are in the County. Down by us they only have one lorry. We are at the same stage, keep me posted on you search.
    Eve

You can use what you want on the outside of the TF, brick or block. We used a standard 4" solid.
    Costs we paid were back in June or so were inc VAT & Delivery.

4" Block € 485.00 per 1000
    6" Block € 90.00 per 100
    6" SoapBars (66 per bale) € 95.00 per 100
    4" SoapBars € 90.00 per 100
    BlockLaying Sand € 20.00 per ton
    25N Concrete € 75.00 per m2
    30N Concrete € 78.00 per m2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 slopey

Got a few quotes back,

30 Newton concrete going for €72 per m2 (excl VAT) off Roadstone & Harringtons
    4" Block at €500 per thousand off Harringtons
    Broken Stone at €140 for 20 ton off Finnegans, Tuam. Will try Lackage Quarry as well, thanks Eve.

Got a quote back from Halcon. Going to be a very expensive raft, approx €20000, price you pay for having to go bungalow.

• Advertisement

slopey,

McGoldericks or Lacken (same people) are 1100 euro inc vat & delivery for a 25 ton of stone.
    Birrane is cheaper but seems to take weeks to deliver.

Prices have fairly gone up since June!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cushtie

well after having another look at the site and a better look at my plans I now realise that there is a slope on the site, not too bad but will still need levelling and there is a fecking Eircom Pole right where the entrance is. For some reason all along I thought the entrance was just clear of the pole but I measured up yesterday and tis tight in the middle.

I phoned eircom and you have to write a letter requesting them to come and inspect. I reckon it will cost a fair bit and hold me up, but sure I should have checked that ages ago anyway. has anyone any experience of dealing with eircom on the issue of a pole needing moving.

Advertisement