Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipaddress on BT

• 04-10-2005 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭

I am trying to play pc games online with a mate.

We need to connect using an ip address but the ip address that appears in cmd when i do the ipconfig command.

When he tries to ping my ip address he gets request time out.

Can anyone help use around this problem where I can give him my ip address so we can play online

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

www.whatismyip.com

Give him that ip address :)
    Also, you may need to setup port forwarding on your modem/router. Do you use USB or an Ethernet connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭Trampas

zoro wrote:
    www.whatismyip.com

Give him that ip address :)
    Also, you may need to setup port forwarding on your modem/router. Do you use USB or an Ethernet connection?

Thanks zoro.

Have you got a website which will show me how to set up my router??

I am using USB connection and he is using a wireless connection.

Will this have effect on it also??

No problem.

I wrote a tutorial for setting up port forwarding when using the Esat Zyxel router, over the Ethernet connection. Funnily enough, I've never actually used the USB one so I'm not sure how that works :)
    I'm assuming that it's something similar, if not almost identical.

So if it's of any use to you - http://www.unreal.ie/index.php?com=tutorials&tutid=settingupaserver

Thanks for that article

I have set it up like you did in your page with my number at the end for x.

But my mate still can't ping my pc.

I am sure this must be a comman problem people have experienced with BB.

Even using the http://www.whatismyip.com/ and the ip address I get and he gets we both can ping each other PC.

It is really annoying

Have a look at http://www.portforward.com/ and let me know if that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

do you have a firewall installed? (you should), but this will quite often stop outside connections to your PC.

as well as opening the port on your router, you may need to make sure it's open on your firewall too. even if you don't have a 3rd party firewall like zonealarm or norton etc. the windows firewall might well be enough to cause this problem.

to find out for sure if a port is open or not, go here: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and do a port scan of the port in question to find out if it's closed or not.

it won't tell you why it's closed, but at least you'll know for sure if that's the problem.

I am in Dublin (BT) and he is in Kilkenny (Eircom)

We got it working yesterday when he uninstalled Nortons and he could host but I can't host.

I can't host. Rang BT there and they said I can't host as I am not connected on to WAN as I connect into BT network and connecting on to WAN from there.

Even though I have an WAN address which has to be.

Looks like basically I wont be able to host on the net.

Has anyone ever had this problem and got around this??

If we were both on BT will we still have this problem??

In a dos prompt my ip address is saying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

but my whatsmyip.com and wan is saying something else.

I want to make my wan ipaddress public is basically what I want

Thanks for your help lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

BT allow hosting, at least on the upper ports that games servers tend to use.

First follow zoros advice and forward the ports that you want on your Zyxel router. Now temporaraly disable your windows firewall and any other firewall on your machine. If you have a switch/router between your broadband and the modem that has a firewall, like I have, then forward the ports on that as well and get your friend to try again.

BTW What is your WAN IP address, mine is 213.202.x.x.

Advertisement