Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people buy UMD Movies??

Options
  • 04-10-2005 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Well, why do they? I mean, they are in some cases more expensive then the regular DVD editions, and can only be watched on your tiny PSP screen. And if you are really that desperate surely you could rip a movie and convert it for your psp?

What drives people to pay loads of money for a movie that can only be watched on your psp?

At least with a dvd you can watch it anywhere really, a friends house, etc, and the benefit of watching it on a normal tv. Am I missing something about the psp? Little screen? Expensive movie? That you only watch maybe once ever and that could be just as easily copied for a quarter of the price or less?

I saw some kid recently buying THREE Umd movies at once....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Because people are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

More money than sense tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Correct me if Im wrong, but is it not nessessary to flash the firmware to play Xvid movies on your PSP? If so that would stop at least 95% of PSP owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

It's a lot easier to rent 2 dvd's for 2 nights from xtrav for €6. Copy and burn them 2 and then convert them to psp.
    Your getting 2 new release movies on dvd and psp for just €3 each.

By The Way, I would never do this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I bought one recently, as it helped a 6 hour wait at an airport pass. Other than such situations, UMD's seem like a a complete waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

tba wrote:
    Correct me if Im wrong, but is it not nessessary to flash the firmware to play Xvid movies on your PSP? If so that would stop at least 95% of PSP owners.

Yup, Your wrong. All you need is a simple program (rapiz/pspvideo9) that converts most video files into the correct PSP format and you can choose what quality and size you want. Im in the middle of converting most of my Divx/Xvid films into PSP format for when I go travelling, Ill stick loads onto a few DVD's and then in Net cafés around the world Ill swap the films onto my 1GB card. It should work quite well, If Im flush I might even buy a 2nd 1GB/2GB card.

S.

People who buy UMD movies are just throwing away money, just buy it on DVD and Convert it or if your lazy and have broadband, buy it and then D/L a decent Xvid copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Not every PSP owner is computer savvy. For those ppl, as was mentioned above, UMDs are a nice way to pass the time in airports, etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Sure why buy anything when you can just steal it? That's basically what the suggestions here boil down to...

I haven't bought a UMD but I am hoping Sony deliver that free Spiderman 2 so I can see what the quality is like. But many many many people a) don't have a 1gig memory stick, b) don't know how to rip dvds/convert to mp4 and c) want to watch movies on their psp, therefore they buy UMDs.

Why buy Burnout Legends when you can get Burnout 3 on PS2 a lot cheaper? Because you can't take your PS2 on the train. I've never been into films, it's a pure games machine to me, but you could apply the same logic to DVD/UMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

This thread is stupid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement