Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aopen mobo plus 1.4gb deal opinions

• 10-09-2001 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭

A friend of mine knows someone that can do me a deal on an aopen mobo +1.4gb cpu (mobo has integrated->yahama sound and nic) for £250 irish, to be honest i know nothing about this company (ie aopen).

Wondering if anyone here has opinions on their motherboards etc and if the price seems reasonable (the onboard sound i don't want but presume i can disaabled it in the bios?)

To be honest the friend cannot even tell me if its an Athlon or Pentium board, but at this price i'm assuming its an Athlon.
    What do you reckon, good reputation, any issues you know of from experience with their boards?

Lastly, if you have worked with these boards before will a standard atx case eg from maplins be ok to use?(would prefer to use one of my gateway boxes but from posts i've read here before i will probably run into power switch connector problems)

Thanks

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Aopen have a pretty decent reputation for quality and stability, I don't think you will go far wrong with that offer. If its an athlon, thats a good price, I don't think its a p4, they only have one p4 board out afaik and its not very widely available. You can disable onboard sound ok.

You will need the maplin case with the 300w psu. Afaik its £65. There won't be any problem fitting your standard atx board into it. If it is a p4 board, it may require a special case, however most manufacturers have gotten around this requirement by providing adapters with the boards, so it will fit in a standard atx case.

A gateway case would be fine, but you would need to swap out the psu. Usually the gateway switch and led connectors are separate, unlike dells single block. (might have changed, I haven't worked on any new gateway machines ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Gerry, was hoping that you would reply to the post, sounds all good.
    Will probably go for it :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement