Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo.it speaks for itself!

Options
  • 04-10-2005 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

This has to be the best game ever invented!who can disagree?There are a number of games out there that can be called satisfactory at best.this not just breaks but smashes the barriers of enjoyment!!im just so appreciative of Microsoft coming up with one the most thrilling marvels of this century!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Far Cry is 10 times better.....so is CoD and CoD:UO.....also I would rate BF2 and DoD Source as better games.....Halo was average at best and I found it very repetitive at times......nothing to shout about.....got soooo bored of it I didnt even finish it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Halo 1... yeah, cool game
    Halo 2... biggest let down in computer game history as far as i was concerned

funny HL2 coming out 1 week after Halo 2 and blowing the pants off it.

me and my mates dont even bother with Halo 2 multiplayer nemore cos its so annoying, Halo 1 ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

halo2 is a let down if you dont have xbox live. otherwise it is the most playable online console game around. matchmaing is the best invention ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Halo is far from the best game ever. Even in the FPS genre there are far better games. I did enjoy it up to the point when the flood were introduced and the whole game repeated itself and became a bit lame. Halo 2 on the other hand is imo a worse game than Halo 1. The story is terrible, the levels aren't interesting, what idiot decided the flood needed to be brought back and there is a cameo by the plant from the little shop of horrors, a film that I really hate. In fact I found the marathon games to be far more absorbing. They aren't the worst games ever and are definitely worth a play through but the best game ever. I think not. You need more eductation in videogames. Go play Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VII, The Legend of Zelda: A lnk to the Past, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Doom 2, Half-Life 1+2 and Radiant Silvergun. Then tell us if it is still the best game ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well, Halo 2 isn't as good as Halo original, but its hardly, quoting a previous poster "The biggest letdown in videogame history".

I think the fact that it sold bucket loads and got fantastic reviews everywhere proves that point. Also, to call Halo 2 multiplayer as annoying and inferior to Halo is just nitpicking, as its at WORST equally as good....although the hilariously fun physics system in original seems to be gone in 2, as well as a few great levels....

Anyway, I think Halo, whilst not my favourite FPS game ever overall, is without a doubt my favourite single player FPS game as well as favourite home console FPS ever.

Its a great game, sure you can call it over-rated, but name a game that is popular and not over-rated....

Although you'd want to have played in on the xbox. On PC, I suppose, its a bit boring and uninteresting compared to the console version, didn't translate all too well really.

• Advertisement

Also, to call Halo 2 multiplayer as annoying and inferior to Halo is just nitpicking, as its at WORST equally as good....although the hilariously fun physics system in original seems to be gone in 2, as well as a few great levels....

nope, refuse to go for that.
    me and 15 other ppl used to get together for massive 16 player capture the flag LAN madness and other such gametypes. Our first Halo 2 session ended up being so dissapointing that we just went back to halo 1, and this isnt because it was brand new or nething, Halo 2 had been out 6 months or so at this stage, it was because it quite simply wasnt as good.
    Some of the top Halo players in the country refuse to play Halo 2 cos of how much worse they made the m-player. an extremely good Halo 1 & 2 player I know swears by Halo 1 as being superior (he listed out a bunch of reasons I didnt quite understand cos it was all technical stuff from playing on Live for so long :o , like me saying for unreal "2K3 is inferior cos shombo balls move quicker, physics are broke because boost-dodging gets u everywhere faster and 100s can be reached in silly ways".... u know that kinda mumbo jumbo).
    The general consensus Ive heard from alot of the Halo community is that HAlo 2 is inferior and less fun in multiplayer and I deffo agree... Xbox Live saves it as it is still at its core a good FPS to play online.... just not as good as Halo 1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

i would consider FF7 to be the best game ever myself

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Halo was good but it would barely make my top 100. There are simply tons of games far better than it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Halo 2 > Halo 1 in every way. Anyone that disagrees is stupid. Without a doubt the best FPS for a console ever, even better than the original goldeneye on N64 and that was a great game. Anyone that disagrees with what i said is wrong cos I'm right about everything. All the people who are nodding and agreeing with what i've said, well done. Don't get carried away though. You're not my intellectual peers you just have a morsel of intelligence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tbh Halo brought a tried and tested game type from the PC, brought it to consoles and implemented it well, nothing more. It did it well, but there was better games on PCs out before it and there's been better ones since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Jazzy wrote:
    Some of the top Halo players in the country refuse to play Halo 2 cos of how much worse they made the m-player. an extremely good Halo 1 & 2 player I know swears by Halo 1 as being superior (he listed out a bunch of reasons I didnt quite understand cos it was all technical stuff from playing on Live for so long :o , like me saying for unreal "2K3 is inferior cos shombo balls move quicker, physics are broke because boost-dodging gets u everywhere faster and 100s can be reached in silly ways".... u know that kinda mumbo jumbo).

Well my friend i never played any halo1 tourneys, i was a good halo 1 player and played in the Irish Halo 2 finals. Halo 2 has so many better new features. Better weapons, dual-wielding, rl lock-on vehicles, inclusion of the banshee, much better vehicle physics, better graphics, more MP maps, less boring SP campaign mode where the same scene repeats over and over throughout the level, more Easter eggs (skulls, M on Coag etc etc etc.). Gametypes are better, that ridiculous race gametype from 1 was replaced by assault, a great addition to the game. And then there's Xbox live. Before people start Xbox connect is stupid. Live is much better. Matchmaking and the various associated playlists are fantastic. Aside from all the early cheating and glitching before the patch, Halo 2 matchmaking was simply fantastic. And the numbers of players and individual matches everyday on Xbox live speak for themselves. That said I havn't played Halo in about 4 months now,m but thats down to g/f and work commitments more than anything else.

Jazzy wrote:
    The general consensus Ive heard from alot of the Halo community is that HAlo 2 is inferior and less fun in multiplayer and I deffo agree... Xbox Live saves it as it is still at its core a good FPS to play online.... just not as good as Halo 1).

What community is this? Obviously none of the numerous Halo 2 sites, forums, groups wetc. who've made it the single biggest online console game ever that has more players every day almost a year after its release then the other top 10 games added together. That stat alone speaks for itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I've always been of the onion that Halo gets a considerably greater amount of attention that it deserves based on its actual merit. The single player (in both Halo 1 and 2), is fairly piss poor to anyone versed in the top end FPS' on the PC, being plagued by poor level design (enter area, wander for several days until YES THANK CHRIST YES you finally find an exit, lather, rinse, so forth), perfunctory story line and as is well known, sheer repetition.

Multiplayer is hugely enjoyable, particularly with linked up tvs. So many bitter, bitter memories of 2v2 in Waterworks...

If it's the first "big" FPS one ever plays, I suppose it could garner the following it has, I however can't fathom the notion of it ever being in my favourite games.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I really enjoyed playing Halo, but that was because I played through the whole thing in co-op, which was great fun. It's not as good playing alone though. The levels were mostly the same room repeated 50 times. AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HALO 2 NEVER HAPPENED!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Halo was good fun brought some good parts from fps games into a good package when it came out. But best game ever ? at the time it was the best fps on a console but I dont think anyone would consider it the best game ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I think x-box kids (yes I am talking down to you children) only think Halo is "the best game ever" (TM) because it was a launch game on the X-Box so what else are you going to compare it too. Side by side with the classic FPS games on the PC it is only an above average game with some nice bits and some really really annoying bits

After reading the reviews for the x-box (especially Edge's 10/10 ... wtf?) I was looking forward to it on the PC, especially the "beach" level that was supposed to be amazing. Played throught the entire game not realising that i had already played the beach level, it was near the start, and it was completely un-remakable .. you run up a hill with your buds, shot a few things and thats it. Maybe on the x-box on a telly that was amazing, but Call of Duty's Stalingrad level or HL1's cliff face level had more excitment in the first 5 seconds that the entire Halo experience.

Maybe I am just missing something. The levels like the library level just really really put me off the game, some of the worse, most annoying, level design (or lack off) I have ever seen in a game. And everyone raved about the well written story, but to me it was worse than a sci-fi geeks leaving cert english paper! Compared to something like HL2 or even Doom 3 the story was a mess.

Yes it did introduce (or at least steal and make popular) some inovations in FPS, like the shield and only carrying 2 weapons. And yes there are some great bits in it. But best game ever? Not a chance. Best FPS ever? Maybe on the x-box. I played through it once, and because of the soddy level design and other annoying elements I have no desire to play it through again? Not a sign of a classic game (replayed HL2 about 10 times already)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hold on, Doom 3 had a story?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I enjoy Halo. But there's far better FPS games out there, and Halo 2 is one of the most horribly disappointing games ever made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sirgamblelot

well in my opinion it is the best game ever.i dont have to change that just because a few people prefer doom or HL.Why are yous all getting so worked up over a bit of software??i only expressed my veiws!!ok i must admit that H2 was fairly on the dismal side of bad and unorigional but the single player in halo1 and the multiplayer were just fantastic according to me!im sure that in time there will be a better version.(prob next week the way things are coming out these days!)but until then we have to make do with what we got so peace out and whatever u like make sure you enjoy it.in the words of homer himself"if somethings to hard to do then it aint worth doin!!ive probably ranted on there a bit about somethings more than halo but i just cant tell what it is!!probably me giving out about the sad state of my life but anyway thats a different matter!ok im officially finished now so later!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

i must admit that H2 was fairly on the dismal side of bad and unorigional

Have you played it:confused:

ianmc38 wrote:
    Halo 2 > Halo 1 in every way. Anyone that disagrees is stupid. Without a doubt the best FPS for a console ever, even better than the original goldeneye on N64 and that was a great game. Anyone that disagrees with what i said is wrong cos I'm right about everything. All the people who are nodding and agreeing with what i've said, well done. Don't get carried away though. You're not my intellectual peers you just have a morsel of intelligence.

Ive always been amazed to the fact that a game (Halo in this case) can create its own fanboys....

• Advertisement

yes and i own 2 halos and multiplayer.1 is legendary.have u played it?

well games like that can become so addictive that it becomes worshipped and rightly so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

yes and i own 2 halos and multiplayer.1 is legendary.have u played it?

Thought you ment Hl2 :o

*hl2=halflife2*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I enjoy Halo. But there's far better FPS games out there, and Halo 2 is one of the most horribly disappointing games ever made.

There are more disappointing games out there, but overall I agree. Halo is good (but not amazing), and there are a lot of better games out there (if you can't think of any, then it's because you've only played Halo :p )

HL2 will be out on the xbox before Christmas. It's a game that will be sure to change your tune. ;)

I'm glad you like Halo so much. The people who replied to you were stating their opinions as well so don't think they were flaming you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Am i the only one who though this was some italian halo related drivel?

halo.it speaks for itself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Bungie developed Halo, don't accredit it to microsoft. There were marathon games long before microsoft tried to make entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

ianmc38 wrote:

First of all you are wrong. Halo was quite dull after a very short while. As for best mp fps on a console, Goldeneye is still king.

As for best fps ever. No, it's quite patently not. Farcry is superior and that gets fairly crap when those ridiculous mosters show up.

As for best game ever. Don't. Make. Me. Laugh. Not even near my top 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

This has to be the best game ever invented!who can disagree?There are a number of games out there that can be called satisfactory at best.this not just breaks but smashes the barriers of enjoyment!!im just so appreciative of Microsoft coming up with one the most thrilling marvels of this century!!
    ya ill admit its a class game i have it on pc but its definetely not the best game ever created
    resident evil and zelda!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I got bored of Halo and gave up not half way through. Such preposterously dull and repetitive game play.

Advertisement