Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Windows 98 SE

• 10-09-2001 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Basically i duel boot on win2k and win98. Win2k is nice and stable but drops my fps in half.
    When i play HL or Q3 in 98 after a couple of minutes my pc crashs, with the same sound repeating over and over again.

System Specs are:
    Abit KT7A
    AMD T-Bird 1.2(100*12)
    Ge-Force 2 Pro
    256mb Ram

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmm i had something similar once, was fixed by reseating the sound card in another pci slot and loading updated drivers.

Dunno whether it was the different irq it got or the drivers..but it worked.

Uninstall all sound drivers remove the card..find the latest and greatest drivers and install in another slot..worked here

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ta ill try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DeizeL

I also had a probby like that. At first i thought it was an IRQ conflict, like Longfield, and I tried his solution to no avail.

Turned out I had a old mobo and i had to drop my AGP speed down to 1x, rather than 2x (or the 4x which was unsupported).

That is assuming your Geforce is an AGP card :p

Alternatively, you might try dropping the clock speeds of the card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by PHB
    Win2k is nice and stable but drops my fps in half.
    Yipes, that's pretty shat :(
    I noticed a great fps boost after installing Win2k... then again, maybe my Win98 install was just b0nked. :D
    Halflife - 100fps (1024x768)
    Q3 ~120fps (800x600)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

System Specs are:
    Abit KT7A
    AMD T-Bird 1.2(100*12)
    Ge-Force 2 Pro
    256mb Ram [/B]

What make/model sound card are you using. Creative SBLive! cards are notoriously unstable under certain hardware/firmware combinations.

Some hints:
    1. Move your soundcard, as per Longfield's suggestion- try to look up posts on Overclocking bulletin boards re. IRQ sharing among PCI slots (will check later what slots I have occupied - think Slot 4 is Soundcard and Slot 6 is modem)
    2. Upgrade your BIOS to 3R (latest official release) or

By the way, is your memory PC100 (ie. 100 MHz memory)?

HTH,
    MK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its a creative SB live card.
    pc 133
    Its AGP card but i dont get the problem with win2k :/

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Win2k is nice and stable but drops my fps in half.
    Try upgrading to the Detonator XP drivers for the geforce card u have if u don't already have them.
    http://www.nvidia.com/us/ie/pg000103.htm

Advertisement