Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what news site is your favourite

• 04-10-2005 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

what news site do you use? and why is it your favourite?

i've prob missed a few popular ones, please include mods if you can think of any big ones i've missed

what's your prefered online news site 13 votes

RTE News
    0% 0 votes
    Ireland.com
    23% 3 votes
    BBC News
    0% 0 votes
    Guardian
    61% 8 votes
    Sky News
    7% 1 vote
    Irish News
    7% 1 vote
    Unison
    0% 0 votes
    other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Mine has to be the BBC.

All the topics of the day presented well and well researched and nice added features like columns and pages like 'on this day'.

They also give space to the quirky, technology and nice video features.

I can't stand sky news as it is just tabloid crap and rtes is just an embarrassment of laziness compared with the bbcs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I am a www.blabbermouth.net person myself

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

BBC News is fine and all but I need a decent Irish news site, I used to use ireland.com untill it changed to subscriber only and since then I've been lacking decent Irish news source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Edster

www.dub.ie - it is new but looks very promising

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cabaal wrote:
    BBC News is fine and all but I need a decent Irish news site, I used to use ireland.com untill it changed to subscriber only and since then I've been lacking decent Irish news source.

what about rte news? it's free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

If you want to exercise your spleen then The O'Reilly Factorin the Prime Time section of Fox News (FNC TV button) is your only man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Culchie wrote:

It is not a news site. It just sells newspapers and less of the pimping.

I use...

BBC news = for general quick news.

Google News = if I want to get a spread of articles related to a story I have read.

www.thepaperboy.com = For finding papers related to a certain area in the world (for fine grain google searches).

www.whatreallyhappened.com = Its a blog and the guy who writes it is a bit screw loose but has a good knack of finding stories that don't always make the mainstream. Very left leaning.

http://www.drudgereport.com/ = For same reason as the previous :) (more right leaning though).

http://mediamatters.org/ = For US news but tells you the intresting bits (basically where the US Media lied)

http://www.thememoryhole.org/ = Again finds stuff not covered by mainstream.

www.thesmokinggun.com = finds somewhat funny news.

Then for tech stuff, slashdot, IEEE, wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

www.breakingnews.ie is a handy irish site.
    Dont forget www.sbpost.ie for other Irish business news. (or www.finfacts.ie).
    For world news, it has to be BBC or The Guardian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I use news.google.com as a general starting point

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote:
    It is not a news site. It just sells newspapers and less of the pimping.

I use...

BBC news = for general quick news.

Google News = if I want to get a spread of articles related to a story I have read.

www.thepaperboy.com = For finding papers related to a certain area in the world (for fine grain google searches).

Only a baby plug, it is a news source isn't it?
    We have newspapers from all over the world as well.

Paperboy, which you have stated sells newspapers doesn't it? So I think you're being a little unfair.

If I wanted to pimp, I can pimp, but I don't.

Culchie wrote:
    Paperboy, which you have stated sells newspapers doesn't it? So I think you're being a little unfair.

They sell papers but have a comprehensive list of papers around the world which you can find and access without having to pay. Something the site you cited does not have.

Not to drag this out too much further, but look at the title of the thread, no-one said anything about it just being about 'free' news as such.

Besides Paperboy is a subscription service to access their digital newspapers.

They offer a 7 day free trial, as do we.

Culchie wrote:
    Not to drag this out too much further, but look at the title of the thread, no-one said anything about it just being about 'free' news as such.

Besides Paperboy is a subscription service to access their digital newspapers.

They offer a 7 day free trial, as do we.

Question was what was the preferred online news site. Your link is not a news site. It sells newspapers. It's like someone asking what is your favorite newspaper and you tell them the local corner shop.

As I mentioned Paperboy also sell newspapers however you can search by country at that site and it will find newspapers online for that country both subscription+free. The use of this is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The RTE staff are pretty pathetic at keeping the website updated though. Manys a day I check in the morning and again in the afternoon and its still the exact same reports, in spite of being able to follow the development of the story on other sites.

BreakingNews isn't bad, but they could do with a better layout IMO.

I usually check in on BBC.
    Edster wrote:

Fugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The BBC of course I don't a have time for more then one and it's by far the best news site I have come across on the whole net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I like the http://www.axisofjustice.org/news.php page myself. Extremely left, far more left than me, but has some great links.

Advertisement