Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal BB package?

• 04-10-2005 2:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about the various packages now available...they all have their good bad points. I think the majority of people who use the internet would be quite happy with 3MB/512.

I can't see unless you've really got a need that these speeds would not suit almost everyone, contention is a real issue at these speeds thus the ideal would be 16-1, as for download cap....40GB per month should be sufficient for most everyone.

Pricing is also an issue but i think €40-45 a month for all of the above would be the ideal price point.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Well your price is spot on for that package (3M/512 16:1 40GB) @40-45€; but there is a market for much cheaper packages than that, like 1M/128 moderately contended 1-4GB/mo @cheap (@~10€;). Its hard to hit 40GB without using p2p, extended professional/semi-professional use (remote desktoping, uploading content to websites under development, DLing new source binaries etc.). THough I would like to hear how the gaming community (normal games & MMOGs) consumes their B/W allotment.

There are plenty of users who just want a proper surfing experience at the times when they use it, for e-mail, surfing, shopping, IM, and don't need high caps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I agree, i have never gone above my cap. Just no need. I prefer faster speeds + being able to HIT those speeds every time no matter what time of day. That to me is important, thus contention is the real need in this scenario.

I'd be willing to pay for lower contention/faster speeds and sacrifice caps, i'm happy enough with my BT BB+ package and normally hit 200-212KB. Perhaps next March we'll see a move on upload speeds and contention.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You've almost exactly described NTL's Broadband Max product.

3m/300k for €45 per month, 40GB cap and 17:1 contention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Personally i'd like a 1-2Mb Uplink to improve Xbox live perfromance. 3Mb downlink would be nice. Any cap around 30GB is fine for me.

Advertisement