Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours ban (happy now, sweet)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

any chance of a link to them rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

not a breach of sig rules. a breach of general rules about linking to downloadable copywrited material.

somewhere in newbies/faqs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Uh oh....Heineken and the bear in the big blue house people are going to be pissed....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

i would consider a photoshopped image different to mp3 files.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

i would consider a photoshopped image different to mp3 files.
    I would tend to too but as derivative works go (and take this the right way as someone I'd regard as a rational bloke) it doesn't tend to matter what I think or what you think but what the entity that owns the copyright thinks or is likely to think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Baz_ wrote:
    If I was the target of such aggressive language, I would consider it bullying, not once have you provided sweet with a link to the signature rules, you just presume he knows them.
    Neither "you" nor "change it" are abusive. Curt yes, abusive no.
    1 wrote:
    So what you are saying is that even though a simple PM from a mod could cut out a lot of bollix it's better for the banned person to "knock" themselves out PM'ing people who can't be arsed sending a simple PM but who would rather a banned person send a complex one.
    They're the one that broke the rules.

The automation idea would be handy though.
    the ones that are not protected by copywright.
    A clarification on this, because of how this was queried.

Links are references, not copies. It is perfectly okay to link to copyrighted material if the person hosting the material owns the copyright.

If the website linked to does not have permission to host the material however then they are breaking the copyright, and are hence an illegal website, linking to illegal websites is against the rules of boards. This includes indirect links (linking to a bittorrent that will allow you to obtain content illegally).

In the case of some content (MP3s, bittorrents) which is commonly used to distribute content illegally we really do need to put the burden of proof onto either you or the site because boards has to cover itself here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

May of been suggested before but why not have a "why am I banned" forum. I know you have to go through the different avenues, but its also (sometimes) good to get different users point of views on bannings. Call it a probation hearing if you like. Can't do that through pms.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

garred wrote:
    May of been suggested before but why not have a "why am I banned" forum. I know you have to go through the different avenues, but its also (sometimes) good to get different users point of views on bannings. Call it a probation hearing if you like. Can't do that through pms.

Thats what the feedback forum is for, although the Mod should normally message them as to why they are banned and the feedback forum is a place for them to come on and whine about it (assuming they were allowed pass go and not go straight to jail).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Baz_ wrote:
    wait, so all links on boards.ie that go to copyrighted material are to be removed now?

Who are you, Smeggle?

I think what they mean is that IMAGES where the license does not allow use must not be used.

A link in itself cannot infringe a copyright. (Except by facilitating copyright theft).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

RuggieBear wrote:
    Uh oh....Heineken and the bear in the big blue house people are going to be pissed....
    Ah, but that is free advertising, I don't think anyone will mind, except for the parents of the kids who now have a drinking problem from watching Bear in the Big Blue House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

rsynnott wrote:
    Who are you, Smeggle?

I think what they mean is that IMAGES where the license does not allow use must not be used.

A link in itself cannot infringe a copyright. (Except by facilitating copyright theft).
    Emmmm, no... and in fact having just read some of your blog, I find myself being highly offended by the insinuation.

I simply wasn't aware of the rules as Mr. the Squid was stating them and so asked him a question. Is that so wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Baz_ wrote:
    Emmmm, no... and in fact having just read some of your blog, I find myself being highly offended by the insinuation.

I simply wasn't aware of the rules as Mr. the Squid was stating them and so asked him a question. Is that so wrong?

Ah, okay, sorry, I was joking; didn't mean for it to come out badly.

I just had a crazy person threatening me RE: linking being copyright infringement, I thought that was what you were talking about as well...

Advertisement