Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

teeth,wisdom tooth,braces

• 04-10-2005 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

hey there, i have had a perfect set of teeth all my life and i look after themwell and never had braces,ans are straight too,

but in the last year in a half 2 wisdom teeth have come up and i think my top ones are coming up, now as my top teeth are gettin uncomfortable,

I am going to see a an orthodontists on Monday to see what has to be done
    I think im going crazy because , i just dont need braces and my family dont get wisdom teeth and im beginning to suffer now,
    is this going to cost a lot to get removed or what are the choices

great if anyone could help me out a bit
    cheers, D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

My bro was in the same situation a while ago. You just need to get the wisdoms taken out as soon as possible and you wont need any sort of brace :). The chances are you wont need them all out, but dentist do recommend it i think.
    Not sure about cost, just give your dentist a call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Im same as you, no braces and straight teeth. One of my wisdom teeth was giving me a nightmare of a time, swelling the gum and everything and causing a lot discomfort. But it just pushed through and its perfectly fine so you may not have to get it removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Keep your fingers crossed that you win the lotto cos otherwise it'll have to be a DIY job. I'd say a good estimate is a million euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 squiiish

I'm in the exact same position.
    My teeth were perfectly straight up until I hit 21 when they started shifting slightly and then between 22-23 one of my wisdom teeth start poking through and wrecked every thing!
    I went for my first appointment with an orthodontist last week but it will be January at least before the actual train tracks get put on.
    He reckons it'll be about two years and 3500 euros. I'll be bloody 25 before they come off!
    His theory is we will be keeping the wisdom teeth (assuming I do actually have all 4 - still have to be x-rayed) and taking out a couple of my molars (one of them is very awkwardly positioned and has ended up with a root canal as I grind my teeth badly and it's positioning meant it took the brunt of the grinding).
    Plus as far as I can tell VHI will pay for braces on under 18's because its a "medical proceedure" where as on over 18's its a "cosmetic proceedure".
    Grrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

yeh, but my friends been on the vhi list for 9 years now and still no braces....so it's usually handier togo private, which sucks :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

What sucks for me is that I had braces in for 2 years, then had perfectly straight teeth and within 3 weeks of getting my braces off my wisdom teeth began popping up making my teeth uncomfortable thus my teeth are getting crooked again........grrrrrr! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭Pygmie

You should get your money back from your orthodontist (or some of it) if this is the case. My orthodontist left a gap in my teeth to cater for when my wisdom teeth came down. As soon as they did, the gap disappeared and I was left with straight teeth (on the top anyway....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Thanks for the feedback lads

Well my teeth are still straight but two of my bottom teeth are pushed inwards, really annoying? gods knows what will happen when my top ones come up?? :eek: , i thought this was a heriditary thing as not everyone get them and if your parents dont gets them , in most cases you wont either , but that's not my case my parents never had wisdom teeth , but yes they're coming up in my mouth, god damn it :mad:

Its absaloutly crazy paying 3,000 for getting your teeth to there original position, i doubt mine will cost that much as i have a nearly hollywood smile, lol , self praise no praise, well they used to be anyway.... :mad:

i have my appointemt next Monday does this means I could wait up to a few months again even though I booked my appointemnt in August, for this date coming up, its madness waiting just to give them feckers a few thousand quid , for a 15 min operation????

regards to prices , i have heard that to get an orthodintist in Dub can cost over a third more than down the country and half the price in the north!!!

also i spend a quarter of my day wishing i had my perfect teeth back, my sister has beautiful teeth and never had braces either, she laughs at me now, but she just might get those wisdom teeth two! :rolleyes:

also . just worth the mention, how the hell do some ppl not get fillings and cavities???

I have had had two cavities and 1 filling in total and look after my teeth so well now i have another hole in my tooth ! and i barely eat sugary foods or soft drinks ?? i eat healthily so wats the problem :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

mysterious wrote:
    regards to prices , i have heard that to get an orthodintist in Dub can cost over a third more than down the country and half the price in the north!!!

That is generally a myth. There is very little difference in the price between getting your braces done in Dublin in comparison to the rest of the country and Northern Ireland. Also travelling so far would eat up your days and cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 squiiish

I thought about getting it done up north, but as already pointed out the travel costs and having to take days off work to travel up to get it done made it seem not worthwhile.

Plus if you have some sort of an accident or a problem with the braces I would prefer to know that my orthodontist is nearby enough to fix it ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

what ever you do get your wisdom teeth sort NOW! i made the mistake of thinking that i had plently of time to get them out when my top teeth started to come down - little did i know but the damage was already being done & now i've had to get braces as they were annoying me so much. I'm glad that I did it now but it's a hell of a lot of money when I think that this time a year or so ago my teeth were PERFECT!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

mysterious wrote:
    also . just worth the mention, how the hell do some ppl not get fillings and cavities???
    There are these things called Fisher Sealants (sp?) that I got when I was in primary school, it's a clear coating they put on the back teeth to prevent cavities. They sure are handy, I've never had a problem with my teeth and it's quite possible that these helped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

bein honest braces are sexy...dunno why but i feckin love em...anyway the wisdom theeth only have to come out if they are not biting onto anything (well except your jaw)...its all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

My dentist has been hounding me the past couple times I've been there that I need to get my wisdom teeth removed. They don't really bother me though. just be warned when you talk to the dentist that they are going to recommend that the wisdom teeth be pulled. Good luck with it all...

:)

hey fishie, thats must be g8 having that cover over your teeth,

You know some dentist really have a bad attitude,
    Its Like they could have some personal issues and it take it out on their paitents, No offence to Dentists in general, but there are some who need a kick up the arse, for ripping off people and screwing things up etc...
    They know we cant see what kind of a job there are doing to our back teeth,
    Quite frankly i have been born blessed with teeth, not since i'm going to private Dentists especially since i left the underage bracket for appointments!

One dentist has nearly fecked up my back tooth which had a cavity she drilled right down to the gum, probably killed my root canal cus i felt her hittin a soft spot and bone, but with the anesethic i didnt feel pain, fillings looks fine but now litlerally a monthe later is a new hole and basically , im gettin sick of these little operrations in here and there, like a cover up! I will not be seeing her again!

the job is to fix it, I'm angry with this behaviour.

its just not fair to have this sort of treatment to people who look after their teeth, the atitiude i feel some Dentists have, is
    "
    "oh well surely they look after there teeth well i wont need to doing anything major or looked over here, maybe i'll you back in year or so" which was saod to me , i never got called since i have been with my dentists..

that is a touch to my experience, you know the dentist never bothered to tell me you have to get the wisdom teeth removed, im chokin up in the dentist trying to explain to a professional about the obvious??she couldn't even tell me likely scenrios on what i should do, never mind what i actually saying the causes of my front bottom teeth pushing, how f**ked up is that?

Then they gave me like one ph. number for an orthodontist, to which i could contact at a particular time, that didnt suit me etc,, I ended up gettin one by myself, but more than satisfied with the service and reponse im getting with them as they even have the cursity to ring me back!

I really think people like in my case, should not work in a profession like this wen you have to look at your teeth in the mirror, knowing the **** job some dentists do. they are providing a service and it should be done right not half right.

sorry about the bashing, but whats was done needs to be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

You have to be so careful with dentist! When I came here I had quite ok teeth but I've had to get 2 fillings (didn't quite realise how much sugar you guys put into your food!). The first dentist he give me fisher seals and orthodontist number (my frount teeth were weird) but then I went to different dentist for my fillings and one day last month I was eating and it fall out! I nearly die with the firght, but I found nicer one now how donsn't seem mean at all.

As for wisdom teeth I've heard that the sooner you get them out the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

My dentist has been hounding me the past couple times I've been there that I need to get my wisdom teeth removed. They don't really bother me though. just be warned when you talk to the dentist that they are going to recommend that the wisdom teeth be pulled. Good luck with it all...

:)
    I felt the same as yourself, and avoided dentists for about 20 years as I was basically scared by their desire to whip out my wisdom teeth. However, when I went to my current dentist and he was able to take pictures of my teeth and show me how the wisdom teeth were pushing in on their neighbours, I agreed that they had to come out. It's all set to happen in a couple of weeks.

I went to the orthodontist yesterday,

I'm really not happy,

You know the feeling when you go into a place like you just become speechless! and nervous. I was fine going in , but not when she was talking about what are the procedreres etcc..

One thing for sure, is i'm getting those wisdom out! the bad news is i have top ones under my gums which could cause problems, but yet a lot of people don't seem to have major probs with the top ones from what the orthodontist was telling me,

I have to get 4 out now , taking pain is one problem but the thought of it now and the recovery and a swollen moth the width of shoulders ??? i will i be awake?? its going to agonising! :eek:

the goods news is she is making me a retainer to stop wisdom doing further damage, I will get them in two weeks,the bad news its not like the one you put on at night, its pernament for six months, i dont' want ppl thinking oh hes got things on too his teeth,hes teeth are not so good after all , i dont' deserve this, anyone who has good teeth & looks after their teeth will understand.

But my teeth are relatively straight but is there any possiblity of my teeth been as straight as there were before my wisdom teeth popped which caused the small bit of shifting?? the orthtodontists told me retainers dont shift teeth are push them, only springs on them will push one back to its orginal position etc.
    Im gettin a springs buts its not exactly promising to be honest :confused:

I hear people in America have retainers and put it on whenever they want to straighten the teeth, is this a possiblity

the other bad news shes going to ripp me , off. Its not fair! mt teeth are only a small job once the wisdom are out :(

I would like to hear from simular experiences!!!
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aftershave

Hi I had braces for like 10 years so I kno your pain hopefully not wisdom pain tho.
    Ok, Basically your not too badly off if you caught them early. The dentist will take em out and trust me that is not nice but if you had left it too long they would break your jaw to do it. As for retainers generally they are not very prominent in your mouth some even sit behind the teeth, it takes 5 or 6 days to fully get used to it personally I didnt think it was to bad. If all this work does leave yourt teeth bent and crooked braces ,though annoying will completly sort it out or 95% of it any way. Good luck :^)

I never had braces luckily enough,

But if I knew in time that my Wisdom were going to hassel my teeth I would had no probs if I had more time, but having said that i have at least stopped my teeth from getting any worse,

I have a retainer now after all that trouble it has started straighten my lower teeth a little bit and pushed my tooth back into position, and stop my wisdom from pushing, doubt my teeth will be the same as they were before this cauois.
    but at least it 'll make it 95 percent right!!! so I'm pretty satisfied so far

hey just to ask from other's experience, will there much risks in getting my wisdom pulled out? considering there are the most difficult to pull out and have the longest root canal, im a bit of a hypercondriac, the pain is the least of my worries but i dont want damage nerves considering the Orthodontist want all my wisdom out scaringly enough i can't make the decesion on whats the best option, i defenialty want two out anyway,

Hey there , just want to ask if anyone has gotten all there wisdom teeth out ,need some advice....

Im going back to the orthodontics on Monday she wants all four out of those teeth out, for the best , but is it neccesary cus, My teeth are not to bad , I have to get 2 out but not to sure what to do,

Is three ok,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Get your medical advice from professionals, not off random people on the internet.

And I'm locking this thread because I see little relevance to this forum. You could try the Personal Issues forum if you want to discuss your experiences with people.

simu

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement