Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

W800i out on Meteor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭digiman

I thought that this was a 3G phone, Meteor seem to be the quickest at getting the latest phones anymore. Fair play to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ah now that's not Meteor's doing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I thought that this was a 3G phone

No, the V800 was the 3G phone. W800 is similar to the K750i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Pythia wrote:
    Ah now that's not Meteor's doing....

well then fair play to Eircom. At least they are bringing new phones on the market sooner.
    I was suprised when i saw it in the CPW magazine its usually 6 months after their official before new SE phone are out over here.
    Meteor/Eircom are bringing them out sooner hopefully forcing O2 and voda to start doin the same.

Is the offfer only wit the CPW(like the K750i offfer was) or is it wit Meteor Stores aswell.

Yeah exactly, it'll probably be only available in CPW which means it's not a Meteor phone.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Pythia wrote:
    Yeah exactly, it'll probably be only available in CPW which means it's not a Meteor phone.
    ??
    what does 'not a meteor phone' mean, it is a meteor phone, they are the ones who subsidise the cost. Certainly they are unlocked is that what you mean?

They have some kind of deal on sourcing the sim free mobys with CPW which is why CPW get it exclusive for a month or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

its only €149. i thought it would have been alot more

edit: ah i didnt see pay monthly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Has anyone got one? What are they like?

I'm looking for a naw phone with a good MP3 player, this seams good value, even if it is on Meteor ;)

Have o2 got it yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

I got one last thursday in the CPW. I went for the Talk 60 (cheapest option) so the handset cost €229 with a twenty euro trade in if you have an old phone lying about.

The phone itself is great, combining all the latest features at a very high quality. It beats the K750i in terms of memory with 512mb included in the pack as standard (enough to hold approx. 200 songs). The camera is top notch it operates much the same as a Sony Cybershot digital camera and the photo quality is the best ive seen from a mobile at 2MP. It has tons of other features as well such as Bluetooth, RDS Radio and quite sophisticated voice regcognition.

All in all i think it is well worth the €200 quite a bargain really considering the handsets are fetching closer to €500 on ebay at the moment. My monthly commitment is only €20 which gives me 60 anytime minutes, 30 texts per month and as a bonus i was able to choose between 250 off peak mins or 150 texts. I've been with meteor a while now and have to commend them on their level of service and value for money,i live in the dublin region and their reception quality has never been an issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Julesie wrote:
    I got one last thursday in the CPW. I went for the Talk 60 (cheapest option) so the handset cost €229 with a twenty euro trade in if you have an old phone lying about.

The phone itself is great, combining all the latest features at a very high quality. It beats the K750i in terms of memory with 512mb included in the pack as standard (enough to hold approx. 200 songs). The camera is top notch it operates much the same as a Sony Cybershot digital camera and the photo quality is the best ive seen from a mobile at 2MP. It has tons of other features as well such as Bluetooth, RDS Radio and quite sophisticated voice regcognition.

All in all i think it is well worth the €200 quite a bargain really considering the handsets are fetching closer to €500 on ebay at the moment. My monthly commitment is only €20 which gives me 60 anytime minutes, 30 texts per month and as a bonus i was able to choose between 250 off peak mins or 150 texts. I've been with meteor a while now and have to commend them on their level of service and value for money,i live in the dublin region and their reception quality has never been an issue for me.

If its so good wats with the thumbs down. For the talk 60 all u have to pay is €20 a month then what ever calls and texts u make over the free minutes and texts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

its a brilliant phone, i got one a month or so ago, tho my mate turned his 750 into one, ya can byt the cover and upgrade the fireware, it looks the same but slightly diff, tho at the price meteor are flogging em, dont see the point now....if only i waited grr

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Richie6904 wrote:
    If its so good wats with the thumbs down. For the talk 60 all u have to pay is €20 a month then what ever calls and texts u make over the free minutes and texts?

I didnt give it a thumbs down.... thats a thumbs up where im from ;)

Anywhoo, yes all you pay is €20 and whatever extra you spend over your free allowances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

its a brilliant phone, i got one a month or so ago, tho my mate turned his 750 into one, ya can byt the cover and upgrade the fireware, it looks the same but slightly diff, tho at the price meteor are flogging em, dont see the point now....if only i waited grr

so what are you saying exactly? the k750i's a better deal?

the flight safe mode the w800i has is the clencher for me, i don't think the 750i has it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

no it doesn't, the w800 is the better of the two, just as cheap it appears too. defo go for the w800, tho it does look slightly girly and according to that other thread some airlines have probs with the phone being used, even in flight mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You can upgrade the k750i to the w800 with firmware flash :)

+++ edit :: of course, that was already said .... I'll get my coat +++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Okay so how long is the meteor contract?
    Assuming I port my speakeasy number across to meteor monthly, can I ever change it back to O2 prepaid?

This is a great deal on this phone and I've been very close to just buying a SIM free one off of ebay.

If this was a 12 month contract I think the 20 per month would still pay for itself; €149 + €240 = €389 ....currently the SIM free is well north of €400
    Julesie wrote:
    I got one last thursday in the CPW. I went for the Talk 60 (cheapest option) so the handset cost €229 with a twenty euro trade in if you have an old phone lying about

???
    Excuse my ignorance but if the handset is 'sposed to cost €149, how does it jump to €229? Do you have to pay some sort of deposit on a monthly contract?

I assume the Meteor contract is 12 months - most are.
    As for porting back again after - yes, you can. You'll need to buy out of your contract with Meteor though, or finish it first.

In that case I'm all but sold on this....as soon as I find out why 149 magically turns into 229 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tjbrosnan

The W800i €229 on Meteor Talk 60 which is €20 a month. The price of the phone goes down the more expensive the plan you sign up to. Remember that you can only change your plan to a lower commitment plan after six months of joining meteor.

I'm getting mine tomorrow, can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Anyone know if you can get this on O2?

• Advertisement

I'm stuck between the k750i and the w800 - just can't bloody well decide!

kazzer - not yet.

Ah with ya now....so if you go for something like the 60 quid a month option the handset will cost 150, but go for the 20 pm and it rises to 230....makes sense.

Their call pricing seems pretty reasonable

Work it out Wertz...

e20 per month for 6 months + e230 for phone = e350
    e60 per month for 6 months + e150 for phone = e400+

In this case it actually works out cheaper all round to go for the e20 per month package - usually there's only e10 or e20 in the cost difference over 6 months.

And the reason I used 6 months and not 12 is because you can drop to the lower tarriff after 6 months - so only the first 6 matter.

ciaranfo wrote:
    Work it out Wertz...

e20 per month for 6 months + e230 for phone = e350
    e60 per month for 6 months + e150 for phone = e400+

In this case it actually works out cheaper all round to go for the e20 per month package - usually there's only e10 or e20 in the cost difference over 6 months.

And the reason I used 6 months and not 12 is because you can drop to the lower tarriff after 6 months - so only the first 6 matter.

I'm pretty sure you can drop to a lower tariff after 2 months...

Officially it's 6 months, but if you talk to someone nice on the phone they might move you before hand.

Pythia wrote:
    Officially it's 6 months, but if you talk to someone nice on the phone they might move you before hand.

weird, they told me it was 2 months when I moved to meteor..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Can you switch to Pay As You Go after your 6-month bill-pay contract has run out?

It's a 12 month contract. You have to stay on the same tariff for the first six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

whats the story with the bonus offer of 250 off peak mins or 150 texts? Is this a time limited offer or was it awarded just because the salesman in cpw liked the look of the buyer? I was considering going to 3 in dec/jan but I reckon now I'll get the w800i on meteor. I'd be rather interested in getting the 150 free texts too.. might have to smile sweetly at the folks in cpw...

.. just bothered my arse to check the meteor website and I see the free text offer is ending at the end of nov. Might buy out my vodafone contract and move before then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

That extra minutes or free texts offer is for all new Pay Monthly subscribers. You get either 250 free evening and weekend minutes to landlines and Meteor number or 150 texts to any Irish network for a period depending on your Talk plan

Talk 60 - 2 months
    Talk 200 - 4 months
    Talk 400 - 6 months
    Talk 600 - 8 months
    Talk 800 - 10 months
    Talk 1000 - 12 months

The free Meteor to Meteor text message offer ends for Pay as You Go customers on the 6th November.

Advertisement