Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upsetting...

• 04-10-2005 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone...

Lately, I've been really un-decided about what I want to major in and if you read my thread in the "Abroad" section, you would see that I am thinking of transferring to a university in Ireland through a study abroad program. Nothing for sure yet; just something I would like to do.

Anyway, today, my dad came downstairs and started telling me that I should look into a major in Law. Just out of the blue like that. And the funny thing is, I have never showed any kind of remote interest in Law. He said it would be good for people who like to read and write, like I do, but I was rather shocked at the suggestion.

When I reacted (come on, tell me it's not normal to react surprised when something like this happens), he got all upset with me saying, "What's been wrong with you these days? You're always upset... You're looking at a Law degree narrowly and I'm looking at it in a broad perspective..." And then when I asked him to *explain* to me the "broader opportunities" with a Law degree, he told me I had to find that out for myself and that he was finished with trying to help me because nothing he said matters anyway.

Now that's a total lie; he *knows* that I always try to please him and my mom. They just don't realize that I want to make my own decisions sometimes too. They would always complain about my ex-boyfriend's parents being so controlling and yet, they don't see how controlling they're being as well. I dont' know... maybe it *is* just me. Sorry for ranting.

See ya around the boards!!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

*hug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I always try to please him and my mom.

Thats your first mistake - what college course to take is one of the first major decisions you have to make as an adult - you should be considering only what you want to do - not what your parents want.

Obviously if they are contributing money towards your education then you have to be a tad tactful about it.

Having said that a law degree could be a good avenue into a lot of company activities other than just those in the legal dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

A law degree is fairly broad. There are loads of jobs you could go into with one. Wouldnt totally dismiss it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Why not take a year out until you know what you want to do. That said your dad's right you should do law. Your mother is probably worried sick about you.
    I thought that you had to complete a primary degree to study law in the US is this the case where you are, if so you're off the hook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You'd think you'd be happy hes taking an interest to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Thanks everyone for your replies and suggestions; I'm sorry if I came across as really.. I don't know... *mean* this morning when I typed this, but it had just happened and I had to let off steam... hehe.

Funky... thanks. *hugs back*

secret_squirrel... actually, the scholarships and financial aid paid for my whole year this year, so it's not like they're the ones forking out money for my education. *However*... I know that they would be if I didn't have scholarships, so I do appreciate this advice. Thank you.

Chucky the tree... I'm starting to get the idea that maybe just looking into law wouldn't be such a bad idea.. although I still don't think it would be right for me, it couldn't hurt to investigate more. Thanks for the advice.

mountainyman... I don't think I'm too keen on the idea of taking a year off and I know my parents wouldn't be fond of that idea either. I know the guidance and direction will come in time. As far as the "primary degree" thing, I really have no clue. I'm *totally* out of it when it comes to stuff like that. Thanks for your help.

RicardoSmith... Please don't think that I'm un-appreciative of his help and concern. I know some parents could care less what their kids do and I'm very grateful for the parents God has given me. I felt bad after fighting with dad this morning, but it's just frustrating when everyone seems to know what they want to do and I just don't... haha.. but I know it will come in time. Thanks again for your reply.

I know God will show me what He wants for me eventually... in the meantime, I'm just going to *try* to be patient.. haha. Thanks again, everyone for the help!

~Cho <><
    xoxo
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

.....Please don't think that I'm un-appreciative of his help and concern. I know some parents could care less what their kids do and I'm very grateful for the parents God has given me. I felt bad after fighting with dad this morning, but it's just frustrating when everyone seems to know what they want to do and I just don't... haha.. but I know it will come in time. ....

You should just tell him that. I'm sure he would appreciate it.

Some people find their path in life immediately, they pursue a childhood ambition and it all works out. For others it not that clear, and never is. However don't over analyse it. Its just life. It doesn't really matter if you change your mind in the future. For now just pick something and do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭alfa147

screw ur parents, ur old enough not to be pushed into doing what they want u too.

Btw law. snore zzz try being around boring people for the next couple of years. u'll end up a corporate whore for some smarmy solicitor firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Maybe your dad's coming across a bit heavy as he's upset at the prospect of you going abroad to study? He's putting the pressure on a bit as he's not keen on the idea of you leaving home. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭dramaqueen

In fairness to your dad there was nothing in your post to suggest that he was being pushy. He made a suggestion and you overreacted instead of just saying - I hadn't thought of that, I'll look into it, thanks.
    This is probably more to do with your own frustration at not being able to make up your own mind.
    I remember being 18/19 and finding everything my parents suggested I do irritating. You are trying to be an adult and you think that means not listening to your parents. We've all been there.
    The really annoying thing is that one day you will wake up and realise that they are often right and if you had listened to them you wouldn't have made quite so many mistakes! Very annoying....
    But for now, I would suggest you tell them over dinner that you are feeling very tetchy about the subject and you want it dropped for a little while. I'm sure they will be supportive. They want you to be happy after all.
    Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement