Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Ammo?

Options
  • 04-10-2005 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

for my cz 22 wmr

im currently using winchester super-x 40g jhp i was wondering would i get improved range using the horandy tip bullets they're the pointy red ones currently while shooting the bullet drops by about 9 inches and isn't that accurate at that range also i assume its more then enough for rabbits if im hittin them in the head thw hole time wouldn't use anything only 40g for fox's

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

for my cz 22 wmr

im currently using winchester super-x 40g jhp i was wondering would i get improved range using the horandy tip bullets they're the pointy red ones currently while shooting the bullet drops by about 9 inches and isn't that accurate at that range also i assume its more then enough for rabbits if im hittin them in the head thw hole time wouldn't use anything only 40g for fox's
    You don't say what 'that range' is, but given a drop of 9" I'd guess it's out around 150 yards or so. That's about as far as most people would consider reasonable for .22WMR. The bullet will go much further of course, but accuracy suffers badly as you've found.
    The Hornady stuff might be more consistent, but you'll really have to buy a box and do a few experiments to find out.
    Buy a few different flavours of ammo and give them a try. You'll probably find one particular brand that your rifle prefers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

yea sorrys thats what i meant 150 yards i was wanted to buy a second rifle for shooting at greater distnaces what range is a .22 hornet accurate to or what rifle callibre is common and has a good range that's practical for hunting and i wont have a bother getting a licence for

yea sorrys thats what i meant 150 yards i was wanted to buy a second rifle for shooting at greater distnaces what range is a .22 hornet accurate to or what rifle callibre is common and has a good range that's practical for hunting and i wont have a bother getting a licence for
    The Hornet will gain you a couple of inches less drop at 150 yards (around 7" drop vs. 9" of the .22 WMR), and is usable out to around 200 yards with 14" of drop. Kinda, sorta. If you and your rifle are up to it.
    It sounds like the ideal calibre for you is .223 Rem. It may still fall into the 'idoanlikdelookodat' (:D) category in the eyes of many Superintendents though :(

The old workaround for this situation used to be the .220 Swift. A terrific full bore varmint round, but 'it's only a .22, so dat's allright then.' Ammo isn't cheap :(

how hard would it be to licence a 22/250 and are dear licences hard to get

how hard would it be to licence a 22/250 and are dear licences hard to get
    No different to any other 'acceptable' centerfire rifle. AFAIK, varminting (foxes, pretty much, in this country) isn't an acceptable 'need' for a centerfire rifle (anyone know any different?), so that leaves you with 2 options- target shooting or deer hunting.
    For target shooting you'll need membership of a full bore target club, and for deer hunting you'll need a deer hunting licence from the National Parks and Wildlife Service.

There's been talk about the NPWS not accepting the .22/250 for deer any more now that more suitable calibres are available, but I don't know if there's any truth to that.
    Any deer hunters out there with better information?

• Advertisement

ok then ill give the national parks a ring and see what the story is thanks for the help

Advertisement