Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: 2X03 - "Orientation" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

• 04-10-2005 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "ORIENTATION" -

Episode Title: "Orientation"
    Airdate: October 5th 2005

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

Jack, Locke and Kate learn more secrets about the hatch. Meanwhile, after being beaten and taken captive, Sawyer, Michael and Jin wonder if their captors are fellow survivors or the dreaded Others. Flashbacks reveals more of Lockes past in this episode as well as the introduction of Helen (guest star Katey Segal) who shakes things up even more with her revealing personality and past.

Next New Episode: 2X04 - "Everybody Hates Hugo" - October 12th 2005

What did you think of "Orientation"? 132 votes

0%
    15%
    Animachern0bylWashoutChongCactus ColfeylyaTheStrandRoadsWaltonsangelofdeathStephen PCiaran500Gone WestIrishstabberDe Deracofun busBawpsherepsaintsauceyRawrLostzillaArmaniJeanssTovarishch 21 votes
    21%
    Mr ElynchiedigimanBeruthielpickarooneyLFCFanChevano RileyCatsmokinpotmr_angrysprinklesmickgerduridiantoxofStimpyoneOYqzSmileylynzstag39irishpartyboykinda lost 28 votes
    24%
    DaveRonan|RavenThe Corinthiannetmans10dr strangeloveJilmfjonSauronT-b0n3SleepyDrEvilPonstercregsermonkeyfudgenialldinhocosgrove80User45701Basqjoe316 32 votes
    17%
    satchmogandalfmewsoBKtjeStarkrabbitinlightsNick_oliveriwayne040576PeacematrimixoyKevIRLFrankieboyrobinphJimboo_JonesJohnnyrazLindiloTristramolerasLex 23 votes
    9%
    PiEjor elchumpVoodoo2steveland?Sherifufightin irishninebeanrowsShaneggggirishshoguncamroc7aken[Deleted User] 13 votes
    6%
    [Deleted User]spooky donkeyKdjaCLfather_ted9t9TCamenSteoobGrumPyGatsby 8 votes
    1%
    GristlyEndlazygit 2 votes
    3%
    herobearfranmanAlienGavRollo Tamasiriddik 5 votes
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

And there we go.... our new poll rating system! :D

PS - looking forward to this episode as we get to see more of "The Others" and Locke's backstory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Can't wait for this!

This knob voted a 10 already - he must have a DeLorean or something! :confused:

PS - yes, that is a 'Back To The Future' joke and yes, i am proud of it. Damn proud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

basquille wrote:
    This knob voted a 10 already - he must have a DeLorean or something! :confused:

PS - yes, that is a 'Back To The Future' joke and yes, i am proud of it. Damn proud!

meh,I hate people who do that,whether it is a good rating or bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Could be a producer or director :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

A DeLorean you say... wonder if Marty McFly is one of the Others. It's plausible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

Massive End of The Episode Shocker
    Jack and Kate use the hatches portal to teleport them selves and the rest of the surviors home. Kate is staying with jack while the heat cools down. they are relaxing on the front porch when all of a sudden in a flash of light a rediculously cool looking car appears. The door opens, and out steps "I'm Doctor Emmit Brown, you don't know me because i have nothing to do with your world. But you've got to come back with me." Jack and Kate together "Back where?" Doctor Emmit Brown "Back to the island. Somehtings got to be done about your kids."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

That's brilliant, the spoiler text shows when I go to quote it. What did you hope to achieve by posting that anyway? Not that I read it, but why post how it ends before anyone else here has seen it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Jack and Kate use the hatches portal to teleport them selves and the rest of the surviors home. Kate is staying with jack while the heat cools down. they are relaxing on the front porch when all of a sudden in a flash of light a rediculously cool looking car appears. The door opens, and out steps "I'm Doctor Emmit Brown, you don't know me because i have nothing to do with your world. But you've got to come back with me." Jack and Kate together "Back where?" Doctor Emmit Brown "Back to the island. Somehtings got to be done about your kids."

Now that would be cool if they used your theory. :D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

qz wrote:
    That's brilliant, the spoiler text shows when I go to quote it. What did you hope to achieve by posting that anyway? Not that I read it, but why post how it ends before anyone else here has seen it?

I am 99.9% certain that the episode will not end like that, so your safe to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Id be 100% sure it doesn't I reckon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

oh well that's ruined it for me... I won't even bother watching Lost this week now.

That's it, people.... i gotta go watch my DVD's of the 'Back To The Future Trilogy' now! :D

PS - such films!!

PPS - probably best to get back on-topic now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

basquille wrote:
    PPS - probably best to get back on-topic now!
    But there is usually at least 2 pages of pointless gibbering before any of us have actually seen the episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

But there is usually at least 2 pages of pointless gibbering before any of us have actually seen the episode.
    ya cmon we have to keep ourselves entertained here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Wasn't the rating going to be 4 8 15 16 23 42? For the symbolism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

basquille wrote:

At least im big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 RawrLostzilla

EH screw spoilers, bite me if you didnt see it dont look.
    [Smod Edit] I've added spoilers [/Smod Edit]
    Holy crap that was fantastic. That bitch double crossed them, then the video, I wanna know about the video more. I want more! AND WTF JIN SPEAKS ENGLISH? Gimme MORE! That Jack and Locke spat was fantastic. Desmonds left too soon.... Hurley trying to end the world lol. Why do the OTHERS have such nice clothes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

EH screw spoilers, bite me if you didnt see it dont look.
    Holy crap that was fantastic. That bitch double crossed them, then the video, I wanna know about the video more. I want more! AND WTF JIN SPEAKS ENGLISH? Gimme MORE! That Jack and Locke spat was fantastic. Desmonds left too soon.... Hurley trying to end the world lol. Why do the OTHERS have such nice clothes?

Prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭saintsaucey

LMAO

Seriously I would have been doing that if I wasn't afraid I'd wake my roommates. At last someone takes my jokes for what they are and doesn't beat me over the head with them for trying to make a helpful suggestion and then threaten to ban me.

No about the episode before someone freaks out. I thought it was great I totally saw Anna's betrayal coming a whole three seconds early. What a great detective I am.

I don't think Hurly was trying to end the world. I'm pretty sure that he thought typing in the numbers would be a bad thing because of his past experiances with them. The video was great. Anyone notice the jumpyness of it. Is it just that it was degraded or was it edited. Had Dharma been mentioned before on this web site I don't remember.

LMAO at Hurley looking at the food pantry like it was the lost city of atlantas.

JIN speaking english. well he's gonna have some explaining to do. Unless of course the others fit him with a universal translator. Though for it to work don't they need 1.21 giggawats of electricity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

is anyone else finding it hard, again, to get a copy of their cousin which isn't bad quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

How do you know that?

Do what I do with out od sync video.
    Open one copy in Windows Media
    Open another in VLC

Mute one and adjust the timeing of the other to match the video of the muted one. Watch the muted one and minimise the other. Can be tricky but works if you don't want to go messing around with settings trying to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Just saw it and i have to admit it is my favorite episode so far. It seemed alot more fast moving.

The thing I loved the most about the episode was that
    the man of science has to show faith in the words of another scientist(s).
    As a scientist himself he takes to trusting the words of another scientist.

The thing that gets me though is that
    the pantry is so well stocked. is some1 coming along to do the restocking?
    There defo doesnt seem like there is anything sinister about Desmond and we defo haven't seen the last of him.

And also
    Locke's backstories are always interesting

I too watched the out of sync version and it did ruin it but hey its lost....i need to know what happens.

digiman wrote:
    How do you know that?
    I'm probably wrong but seem it quoted elsewhere. UMD = standard movie format for PSP.

But then again, it's possibly the name of the group!

PS - even though it's killing me to, i think i'll wait til we get a proper of the episode. I'd prefer to fix an out-of-synced one than watch a weird aspect ratio.

Plays fine on my Mac cannt watch it in work though!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

Good overall episode.
    Just because Gin said "others" doesn't mean he speaks english. Everybody was going on about the "others" in last episode of season 1, so Im sure, he must have figuired out what the work meant.

Why did locke want to watch the orientation video again? Why did he insist that jack should watch it again too??

Also, when locke was on his own by the computer he started getting frustrated. He said something like "Why is this happening like this? What do you want? What am I supposed to do?" Who is he communicating with?? This isn't the first time he has spoken to the Island?

Also, there was indeed a "front door" to the underground base. So where is it? Is it covered / hidden? Why didn't anybody find it before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

lynchie wrote:
    Good overall episode.
    Just because Gin said "others" doesn't mean he speaks english. Everybody was going on about the "others" in last episode of season 1, so Im sure, he must have figuired out what the work meant.
    In the preview for the next episode he says
    "Everything is going to change" and he isn't speaking pigeon English

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Not putting spoilers in - dont see the point.

Firstly the date at the end of the Orientation film was 1980 or so - a few years after Danielle arrived on the island. Also I think whatever the lab was used for, it was not there because of the island, I think it suffered as a result of the island and that's why the timer was put in place. Everything points towards the lab/Dharma experiment is just as much a victim os the island as the survivors are.

Anna Lucia and her band are just survivors of the tail section - they are no the Others. She was just send into the hole to find out who Michael, Sawyer and Jin where. I expect them to be friends in the next episode.

Station 3 (Swan) this is interesting as some were saying that the logo on the sharks tail was slightly different to the logo found in the hatch/lab. This would support the idea of other hatches on the Island - in the film the guy did use the term "this side of the island" when taking about station 3 - i'll bet their are other stations around the island. For all we know Ethan is just another desmond who just needed a second person to help with his set of numbers etc

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

new website up today

http://www.thehansofoundation.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Worth a good 8/10. You know it's good when it leaves you thinking. It took 3 eps but Lost is back into the swing of things. :) Dam, I want next weeks one now!

Couldn't enjoy it though with all the sync issues. Even though I extracted the audio and played it on a seperate media player I had to keep manually sync-ing it. The 'real repack' is apparently out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

MEH pretty poor, gave it 5/10 DEFINATLY doesnt deserve 10/10 weirdo's... i liked the part when Hurley found the food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

MEH pretty poor, gave it 5/10 DEFINATLY doesnt deserve 10/10 weirdo's... i liked the part when Hurley found the food
    Great post :rolleyes:

Say you didn't like it and give on thing you liked in the show, then insulted everyone that did like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Chevano Riley

can we have removal of spoiler comment above by RawrLostzilla dealing with (THIS SPOLIER REFERS TO NEXT WEEKS PROMO)
    jin speaking english (though about that..... wtf? damn right "everything will change )
    . that doesnt belong in this thread. many people avoid watching the promos during end credits.

the whole science vs faith stuff bores me so the big climax didnt do all that much for me.

michael, jin and sawyer. seriously, they are having a bad time of things. enjoyed their parts. i didnt expect ana lucia to turn out bad.

and who spotted the polar bears on the dharma industries movie? that had better not be the whole explanation of the bear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

um ummm it was alreet...

Considering we got to a bit of the meat of the show tho, it's seems a bit of a let down... I thought the video from the organisation was corny and badly done.
    I thought it was obvious jack was eventually gona press the button, yet they made a big song and dance out of it...

But it was still entertaining, and that's what counts

6/10

(I'm a harsh marker :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bawpsherep

Another incredible episode! My god! This could quite possibly be the most important episode of Lost yet! Now that Locke has decided to keeping pressing the button, it means that inside the hatch will play a constant role throughout the rest of the show. I'm thinking maybe Locke will end up living there full time...

- I think it was pretty obvious that Ana Lucia and "The Others" are ALL the tail section survivors. But damn, I was very impressed with the way the writers deceived us for a while.

- The Dharma video clip. It just really felt like we were getting some solid answers this time. I also laughed when Locke said to watch it again because I'm sure every Lost geek was thinking the same thing: that they too wanted to analyse it and find something new in it.
    - So "The Swan" is one of a few different research centres? Do you think we'll eventually see the other ones of the island?
    - I definitely think the Helen in Lockes flashbacks is not the same Helen he spoke to on the phone in 1.04. I'd reckon Locke just chose to call this woman on the phone Helen so it would be easier for him to relate to her. But how do you think things ended with Helen and Locke? Do you think he persued his father even after making his "leap of faith"
    - Hurleys reaction to the food store room = priceless
    - Was happy to see Sayid get involved in the episode. We're been focusing too much on the Raft and the Hatch lately.
    - I really liked Desmond and Jacks little exchange before Desmond did a runner. Jack was pretty emotional in his reply "I MARRIED HER!?!!!". Thought that was a little strange. Also, is it just me, or is Jack being too much of a dick lately? He really needs to start earning some brownie points soon.

And now onto that preview for next week:
    JIN SPEAKING ENGLISH!!!! WTF!??!

yeah. the video did nothing for me.

this show starting to feel like Myst, anybody?

i regret the gexcellent rating i gave. i now say it was a 7/10.

Bawpsherep wrote:
    Jack was pretty emotional in his reply "I MARRIED HER!?!!!". [/spoiler]
    haha. yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Romero

Great episode! When watching the Orientation film I noticed that the Group refered to their benifactor and they show a shadowy figure in a window, well I think it looks like Locke's Father!!!! Go back have a look and tell me what you think! Oh by the way I think Al Bundy might have put Locke in the wheelchair for sleeping with his wife Peggy:)

Romero;)

• Advertisement

Romero wrote:
    Great episode! When watching the Orientation film I noticed that the Group refered to their benifactor and they show a shadowy figure in a window, well I think it looks like Locke's Father!!!! Go back have a look and tell me what you think! Oh by the way I think Al Bundy might have put Locke in the wheelchair for sleeping with his wife Peggy:)

Romero;)
    shadowy figure is avlar hanso. heres his homepage. :P
    http://www.thehansofoundation.org/

certainly looks like lockes father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I gave it 6 aswell because I'm actually starting to get a bit fed up of the waiting now. I was really hoping that Locke would have pushed Execute with the number 32 instead of 42, like Hurley wanted him to, but then stupid Jack had to butt in. Hurley is the only one who knows that the numbers (and anything to do with them) are bad. Pressing Execute has just set this up to go on and on and on. Hopefully Hurley will break the computer or something. Maybe if he watches the film he'll notice that the scientist warned them not to use the computer for anything else. If someone were to just press buttons on it then you'd see it probably does nothing.
    Firstly the date at the end of the Orientation film was 1980 or so - a few years after Danielle arrived on the island.
    She's been there for about 15 years no? That makes 1990, not 1980.
    Also, is it just me, or is Jack being too much of a dick lately?
    It's not just you. He's been a real pain in the ar$e since about half way through the first season I'd say.
    well I think it looks like Locke's Father
    I was thinking the exact same thing. The age group is right, and Locke's dad is rich. Is that why Locke wanted to see it again, to see if it really was his dad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

How could the real story possibly live up to all the speculation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Great post :rolleyes:

Say you didn't like it and give on thing you liked in the show, then insulted everyone that did like it.

10/10 though? maybe 8 max, not 10, jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I really enjoyed this episode! I loved the film and, of course, the look on Hurley's face when he found the store-room.
    I doubt the people who caught Sawyer and crew are 'The Others'. They might be from the tail end of the plane but it wouldn't make sense about Danielle's baby if they turned out to be the others. Perhaps there are several groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

This Ep gave us a good bit of information and was good but for some reason
    i don't feel as excited as i did after episode 2! If one will it was all abit
    of an anti climax after last weeks preview..

I dont think that those people who took Sawyer and co. are the others
    at all and just think they are the other people from the plane..

Where is Desmond running to??!!

Painful to watch the video is was really badly done!

I liked the flashbacks to Locke's live found those very interesting.

Overall a good episode i gave it 6/10 but proably deserved a 7

Looking forward to next week but not as much as i was last week :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

OK, so importantly I noticed the book, "The Third Policeman" in the background. The theme of the book is
    a story of a man who kills another man, he ends up being killed himself, but doesn't know it and ends up living on in his own version of hell - thinking he's still alive [been a while since i read it]

seems like that could be a major clue (or a red herring)

What does that Dharma industries page contain? Is there actually anything there and its just blocking non US IP's, or is it just a single page?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

same thing happens to him
    Quote "hey, I just noticed that if you keep trying to login on that dharmaindustries page (by clicking the text) it starts spinning around and eventually saying "access denied." But once, one of the spinning digits turned green, and it took much longer than normal -- then eventually went denied again"

and also

"also found "DI 9fftr731, di9fftr731" hidden in the html page"
    besides that

s10 wrote:
    same thing happens to him
    Quote "hey, I just noticed that if you keep trying to login on that dharmaindustries page (by clicking the text) it starts spinning around and eventually saying "access denied." But once, one of the spinning digits turned green, and it took much longer than normal -- then eventually went denied again"

and also

"also found "DI 9fftr731, di9fftr731" hidden in the html page"
    besides that

Its not just us then. I did get two green numbers though, so maybe I should keep on trying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement