Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: 2X03 - "Orientation" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ann-Lucia could have been lying about being in the back of the plane.

I wished they had let the numbers count down to zero, I really wanted to see what would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Stark wrote:
    Ann-Lucia could have been lying about being in the back of the plane.

I wished they had let the numbers count down to zero, I really wanted to see what would happen.

Ana Lucia was definitely on the plane, at the back, because in Exodus we saw Jack meet her in the bar and she explained that she was drinking tequilas as she was afraid of flying and they put her down the back of the plane where you feel the wheels come up (in Row 42, of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

just for me, it felt like the way 'shaft', as sawyer calls him, and anna lucia were talking the same way mike and sawyer do, a kind of loose trust

perhaps, and i cant stress perhaps enough, they arent the others (cause there are no friggin others) and are just a group of survivors

sure didnt one of the writers/producers say in an interview that a group of back planers (back of the plane) were going to survive, and that the friendship between jack and anna would develop

(probably just so jack can screw it up with his post neurotic behavior and total lack of anything related to entertaining behaviour.)

stupid pretty boy arg :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Did anyone else notice how the film was cut and joined?
    i thought that to. Like it was missing a small piece of the film, where he was about to mention the code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Really enjoyed this episode. 9/10.

I like and don't like the way so much has been cleared up. It's such a relief to finally know what's happening, but then again I miss the mystery to the show.

It was interseting watching Locke develop into one of the experiments like Desmond. The way he wanted to watch the tape a second time and when he said: "I'll take the next shift", he was doing what he was instructed to do.

And at the end I thought it was fairly obvious that it was Daniel (Jin) speaking from an interview. How could the producers pull off Jin suddenly being able to speak fluent English with an American accent? :rolleyes:

Going by the promo, next weeks episode
    looks a bit boring tbh. Apart from Kate in the shower. Homona homona homona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

It was interseting watching Locke develop into one of the experiments like Desmond.

How do you know thats the case?

I've seen people do this a lot lately. Just stating speculation as fact. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Speculation it may be...But John said i'll take the next shift as im sure Dessie said 3 years earlier...so it goes on and on? Why didnt desmond just ask where the other survivor's where (as in charlie etc) I think he pretty much knows that Locke, Jack, Kate are not ''sick''.

I mean it's been 3 years without human contact(depending on when his rescuer died) and off he legs it into the jungle on his tod? Seems like he knows alot more than he lets on?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Johnnyraz

Maybe no replacemant came because Rousseau changed the radio broadcast from the numbers to her own message .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched the episode again earlier on today. One of the things that annoyed me first time round and caught wind of it again this time around was that we never saw where the front door of the hatch was on the Island.

When Locke told Kate to go get Sayid, Desmond told her the directions to go out the front door and it's the same door both Desmond and Locke left by on their way out. Yet we never saw whether this door was well hidden or anything.. just something i wish we got a sight of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

To have to watch the buildup to the Jack meets Desmond moment for the third time was a bit much.

It was stretching it a bit watching it for the second time, never mind a third.

I gave the episode a 5/10 because while it was better than the other two so far this season, it was still full of many annoying elements. Some have been noted already:

1. Continuity with regards daytime on the beach after Jack had only been down the hatch for what, 5/10 minutes?

2. The door on the hatch -- nobody seemed surprised, or even curious where it opened out onto? Also, if Desmond believed that the people on the island would get sick, how come he knew the door stuck. Had he been going outside?

3. Yet again, characters utterly fail to ask relevant questions. How come Desmond just accepted that pushing the button saved the world? Did he *ever* ask the other guy about it? How come Jack or Locke didn't try and push Desmond to explain further?

4. *Why* the big song and dance about Jack pushing the button. I was actually just ready to scream - Sayid, Kate, Locke and Hurley standing around the computer, but we needed Jack to have some faith and push it? I think they failed miserably with making any sort of reasonable argument for why the button must be pushed.

5. Ana Lucia's betrayal - hardly a shocker. Though I have to say I was pleased that at least they're implying that they're not 'the others' and that some actually scary people might still appear.

6. I think Locke is the extremely irritating one, not Jack. I can't take much more of his weird communing with the island, asking for guidance, or his crap about having some faith. It's excrutiating. Jack is just dull, but he's not hateful. Locke's flashback was at least better than Jack's and Michael's because it didn't retread old ground as much, and the flashbacks seemed shorter?

7. Why did Jack find it so hard to admit he knew Desmond. Is it really any weirder than other recent events? Also, Locke's dogged questioning and pestering him about it was painful.

All in all, still swinging and missing so far this season. Will we have to wait until November sweeps (or the season finale) for any attempt at a WOW episode? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

A little over critical, Tcamen, if you ask me. The continuity doesn't matter imho but even so, in those parts of the world doesn't the sun rise and set a lot quicker than here.

Where the door opens out onto isn't really that relevant either. They were probably just trying to save some money by not building the set for it.

Also,Jack did ask that question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭20LEgend

Did anyone notice that the holding cell for Sawyer, Jin and Michael was pre built.
    This suggests that its been used to hold other people before.

Perhaps these "others" have been attacked before hence their cautious approach towards Sawyer, Jin and Michael

Just a thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Holy .....

Dharma logo on the plane?

From Tabula Rasa, around the 41st min mark.

So they're not making it up as they go along....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For those of you that can't quite see it.. as took me a while to find it!

(see attached!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That's class.
    Good to see they've put some effort in when making the show.
    I wonder if we'll be able to look back on stuff like Locke talking
    to the island and know what he was on about. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

basquille wrote:
    For those of you that can't quite see it.. as took me a while to find it!

(see attached!)

bloody hell
    makes you wonder how many other little things we've missed!

Jack did ask that question.

Well he asked if Desmond ever wonders that it's not true, but he didn't press him for any further explanation about 'pushing the button saves the world'. I mean Desmond surely had to have asked Kelvin to explain more?

*OR* if Kelvin was another guy waiting on his replacement who didn't know why he had to push the button specifically, why not just say that - it's a lazy way to not have to explain any further but at least it would show that pressing Desmond for more answers would be pointless rather than leave it looking like Jack, Locke etc just didn't seem too concerned about specifics.
    The continuity doesn't matter imho

Funny how the forum is generally obsessed with every little detail about the show, but continuity (whether it was a genuine mistake or not) isn't important. I kinda think it's essential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Beruthiel wrote:
    makes you wonder how many other little things we've missed!

:eek: - second that!

OR

Has this been doctored and it's after-the-fact intox?

-> did you lift the frame from your own copy? Or can anyone who has the DVD set do a freeze-frame to verify? Gonna have to look at this closely tonight, just hope my file has a high enough rate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

2x03 - "Orientation"

For those of you who had synch issues; if you spot REAL REPACK or just REPACK on a torrent a few hours after the original, that's the one to choose. It's a recoded version of the original. I find the EZTV group to be the best for not having any sync issues, if that's any help. Last year and the year before, groups used to release a tiny executable file which resynched files that were off, but I haven't seen that in a while.

Anyway, on to Lost... Seems to be a divide between fans who liked the orientation film and those who didn't from my reading of this thread.

I liked it a lot, some concrete answers at last; for that reason, I'd rate this one highly - 7/8 out of 10.

Dharma explains a LOT. I wonder if the castaways in the pilot have flipped the polar bear over if we'd have seen a Dharma logo on its body somewhere. This also fully explains the shark's branding last week. So Dharma are involved in zoology (the polar bear/shark), psychology and parapsychology (Walt), the setting up of utopian social studies... It suggests a lot of what seemed unsual in season one has Dharma as its cause. This is both a good and bad thing. Bad because it's taken away the supernatural element of the island to a large degree. It may be that the island is still supernatural, but we're much more likely to attribute everything weird to Dharma now, more so than going, "Oh, the island must have healed Locke..."/"The island wanted Charlie to live..." etc. It's a bit like seeing the monster in a horror film - sometimes NOT seeing it is what makes the experience more fun. I'm not against the Dharma introduction, but I hope its involvment in what we've seen/see is neat and plausible (so far, so good - the film is also revealing, but not wholly so.) And I hope the Dharma introduction does not lead us down an X-Files mythology route where it becomes so complex, it ceases to make proper sense.

Anyway, as it turns out, Dharma can't explain everything anyway. The Black Rock predates Dharma, as does the Adam and Eve original cave dwellers. The island still seems to have been trapping people there for a long time. Seems Dharma arrived to the island around 1980 and set up six hatch stations, of which the one in this episode is number three, The Swan. Dharma must've also transmitted the numbers, though Danielle changed this ten years later.

There was also "an incident" which caused the dead man's switch process to begin. The explanation of this was the episode's weakest point - Desmond should have had a lot more information about why this was being done from Kelvin, but either he didn't, or did but didn't want to reveal it. The orientation film doesn't mention the numbers at all, other than that it was important they be entered. The film also says replacements will come in 540 days (this is a multiple of 108, by the way). So replacements should have come within two years, but didn't? Was Kelvin, as Jack suggested, just part of a psychology experiment to see if he'd stay and press the button until his death? If that were me down there, my scepticism would have had me watch the countdown fail long ago. (The Jack 'push the button/don't push the button' business was irksome to me. It wasn't about whether *Jack* had faith or not, but about whether any of them cared that the stupid thing hit 0 or not. I'd rather let it go to 0 and see what happened than keep up the frustrating scenario of it resetting to 108 all the time.) I love the way fans have the 'Man of Faith' / 'Man of Science' signatures, but truthfully, as much as I prefer Locke's character, if I myself were on the island, I'd be acting as Jack is! Looking at it rationally, the numbers, the station, the computer, the countdown - none of it makes sense! There's no reason whatsoever to believe "the island brought us here" or that we're preventing the end of the world by entering the numbers. Jack, annoying as he can be, is right in his approach at least.

Loved Locke's line "I think we're gonna need to watch that again" echoing every fan's thoughts. His flashback was only so-so. Nothing new in there, other than his father being an even greater ass than he was last time. (Like the speculation on him being in charge of Dharma, but I don't think he is. Could it be more likely that Mr Paik is...? Remember the island on the monitors in 1x17?) I don't think Helen is the girl from the date line conversation in 1x04 either. I think that's just a regular phone sex girl that Locke decided to call Helen. Obviously his and the real Helen's relationship goes sour (which may coincide with his losing power in his legs. Anyone else get the funny feeling his father might have been the cause of that? He definitley doesn't get over the betrayal and move on - there's more with his father to come. Like Michael's flashback, though, I thought there was little new in this one.

Ana Lucia and "the Others" - interesting, didn't see her double-cross until just before she did the deed. Reckon she's with the other tail section survivors, though they all appear to have lost the plot. Could this be the sickness...?

Liked the reference to The Third Policeman; like Watership Down, A Wrinkle in Time and others last year, there must be something in this. There's also Turn of the Screw - in which one character believed in ghosts - and another refused to - until a final confrontation forced the latter to declare his belief.

Like the theory that Mr and Mrs Dharma Project Founders are on the Others' boat. They certainly could be running the entire project from the island, but it would also mean they were involved in crashing vessels there. (Dharma also is involved in manipulating meteorology and could have caused the storm the plane was diverted within.)

Waffling on as usual. Overall, very good - way better than 2x02 - and a lot more forthcoming with answers. Let's just hope they continue to make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

I've been pondering Walt's words in "Exodus":
    "Don't open it Mr. Locke, don't open that thing"
    and again in "Man of Science, Man of Faith":
    "don't push the button, the button's bad"
    I wonder if he'll show up later and destroy the computer or something.. damn, I really want to see what happens if it's not pressed and why Walt was so distressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

TCamen wrote:
    2. The door on the hatch -- nobody seemed surprised, or even curious where it opened out onto? Also, if Desmond believed that the people on the island would get sick, how come he knew the door stuck. Had he been going outside?
    i honestly dont think its that important, we know the hatch exists we know the bunker exists the entrance doesnt matter once we know whats inside it.
    3. Yet again, characters utterly fail to ask relevant questions. How come Desmond just accepted that pushing the button saved the world? Did he *ever* ask the other guy about it? How come Jack or Locke didn't try and push Desmond to explain further?
    i think landing on a wierd-ass island with clouds of smoke going aroung killing people would make me believe. and desmond did ask the other guy and he said he didnt know, locke and the rest didnt push it any further because they had to get the computer fixed, when they thought they couldnt, desmond wasnt going to stick around and i dont think desmond wanted to waste any time explaining, he wanted to get the hell out of there.
    4. *Why* the big song and dance about Jack pushing the button. I was actually just ready to scream - Sayid, Kate, Locke and Hurley standing around the computer, but we needed Jack to have some faith and push it? I think they failed miserably with making any sort of reasonable argument for why the button must be pushed.
    ok so you would have let the timer run out? dude i have to admit i would love to not press the button but after landing on an island not knowing where you are or what the hells going on i wouldnt risk not pressing the button
    6. I think Locke is the extremely irritating one, not Jack. I can't take much more of his weird communing with the island, asking for guidance, or his crap about having some faith. It's excrutiating. Jack is just dull, but he's not hateful. Locke's flashback was at least better than Jack's and Michael's because it didn't retread old ground as much, and the flashbacks seemed shorter?
    well someones a man of science arent they :) Locke rules!
    7. Why did Jack find it so hard to admit he knew Desmond. Is it really any weirder than other recent events? Also, Locke's dogged questioning and pestering him about it was painful.
    because that would be impossible. he also finds it hard to understand the other things hes seen but hes coming round to it ^ goes back to the whole faith/science thing. ^

as Anima said i think your being a tad over critical there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

ambro25 wrote:
    :eek: - second that!

OR

Has this been doctored and it's after-the-fact intox?

-> did you lift the frame from your own copy? Or can anyone who has the DVD set do a freeze-frame to verify? Gonna have to look at this closely tonight, just hope my file has a high enough rate :)

Just checked my dvd and its defo not an edit.... its there. The full symbol isn't viewable but that SS above is pretty accurate.

well someones a man of science arent they
    as Anima said i think your being a tad over critical there

Well I think in both cases, a differing viewpoint isn't a bad thing in this forum with so many people rarely rating any episode below the maximum. :)
    i think landing on a wierd-ass island with clouds of smoke going aroung killing people would make me believe. and desmond did ask the other guy and he said he didnt know, locke and the rest didnt push it any further because they had to get the computer fixed, when they thought they couldnt, desmond wasnt going to stick around and i dont think desmond wanted to waste any time explaining, he wanted to get the hell out of there.

I still think that nobody tried very hard to question anything - as they have tended to do since they crashed. Fine weird things are happening, but like, they did used to live in the real world before then, so why are they so accepting when it comes to doing random things like pushing a button? In Jack's case I just didn't see why he would agree to push it when Locke asked him to. Why couldn't Kate or Sayid do it? They were standing closer to the computer *shrug*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

TCamen wrote:
    I still think that nobody tried very hard to question anything - as they have tended to do since they crashed. Fine weird things are happening, but like, they did used to live in the real world before then, so why are they so accepting when it comes to doing random things like pushing a button? In Jack's case I just didn't see why he would agree to push it when Locke asked him to. Why couldn't Kate or Sayid do it? They were standing closer to the computer *shrug*.
    Once Jack found out about the idea of the button he did nothing but question. Locke is a man of faith so believes Des. Sayid said he would fix the computer, then ask questions and I don't think Hurley wants to know. We will have to wait till next episode when more people see the timer and have time to think about what it could do.

The whole point of Jack pushing the button was for Locke to test his faith after he insisted that the button was nothing more than an experiment.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The whole point of Jack pushing the button was for Locke to test his faith after he insisted that the button was nothing more than an experiment.

I agree, but for Jack to truly not be hypocritical - being the Man of Science that he is - surely he would've stuck to his guns (as a lot of us probably would in his case) to prove that the countdown and the pushing of the button served no purpose. I'm with TCamen on this - Jack hasn't questioned the button or the reason for the existence of the hatch nearly enough yet, but hopefully those discussions are to come.

As it stands, Jack hopefully was just buying time, pressing the button to shut Locke up (though I agree, anyone could've/should've done it), with maybe the slightest tinge of hedging his bets to ensure nothing bad happened. But if he's to remain the sceptical character he's been build up to be so far, he now has to seriously question the purpose of the hatch, the numbers, Dharma and everything else he's seen. Sure, the island seems mysterious, but not enough for him to abandon 'reason' that there must be a rational explanation for it all - way beyond the blind faith Locke is preaching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

TCamen wrote:
    Well I think in both cases, a differing viewpoint isn't a bad thing in this forum with so many people rarely rating any episode below the maximum. :)
    agreed, a different viewpoint is always a good thing and i suppose every episode getting a ten out of ten isnt the best thing

But if he's to remain the sceptical character he's been build up to be so far, he now has to seriously question the purpose of the hatch, the numbers, Dharma and everything else he's seen. Sure, the island seems mysterious, but not enough for him to abandon 'reason' that there must be a rational explanation for it all - way beyond the blind faith Locke is preaching.

Amen. :)
    agreed, a different viewpoint is always a good thing and i suppose every episode getting a ten out of ten isnt the best thing

Ditto :D

One more thing from the Dharma film I meant to post yesterday... As it begins, listen to the music. There are several bars there that sound like they were lifted right from the Lost end theme music! Or is it just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

did hurley mention the numbers to jack in the last episode when he was trying to explain why he was trying to stop locke from opening the hatch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

You know, this whole Locke man of faith thing versus whiney Jack man of science might actually mean something. We got to see Locke pretty low in s2e3, I would go as far and say “pitiful” in the car scene with Helen, he seemed at the lowest point a human could be, emotionally, next thing we know (going forward on the timeline) he is working in a cube, role playing some war strategy with his workmate arranging lunch and telling people “don’t tell me what I can and cant do”, his boss and tour operator, wheelchair bound, on the phone to 5 bucks a min girls, reliving a lost relationship with a girlfriend that showed him love but now has gone…next thing he survives a plane crash, has the use of his legs again and a suitcase full on knives ! (more to this “ex toy shop, box company “cripple” then we know) master hunter, strategist…. No wonder he is thankful to the island, it has given him a meaning to his life finally. Remember the episode when Boone died? The further from the hatch the less use he had of his legs? Could that have anything to do with his insistence the numbers are keyed in? The island makes him a man again, hunter-gatherer! He does not want to be a burden on anyone anymore, he would rather stay and do the 108 cycle shift forever!

Where Jack….. Doctor, scientist, no faith whatsoever, sees a spinal injury victim recover, when science said it was impossible…. Does, did he fall in love with her on the “faith card” only to have faith let him down?

• Advertisement

oleras wrote:
    You know, this whole Locke man of faith thing versus whiney Jack man of science might actually mean something. We got to see Locke pretty low in s2e3, I would go as far and say “pitiful” in the car scene with Helen, he seemed at the lowest point a human could be, emotionally, next thing we know (going forward on the timeline) he is working in a cube, role playing some war strategy with his workmate arranging lunch and telling people “don’t tell me what I can and cant do”, his boss and tour operator, wheelchair bound, on the phone to 5 bucks a min girls, reliving a lost relationship with a girlfriend that showed him love but now has gone…next thing he survives a plane crash, has the use of his legs again and a suitcase full on knives ! (more to this “ex toy shop, box company “cripple” then we know) master hunter, strategist…. No wonder he is thankful to the island, it has given him a meaning to his life finally. Remember the episode when Boone died? The further from the hatch the less use he had of his legs? Could that have anything to do with his insistence the numbers are keyed in? The island makes him a man again, hunter-gatherer! He does not want to be a burden on anyone anymore, he would rather stay and do the 108 cycle shift forever!

Where Jack….. Doctor, scientist, no faith whatsoever, sees a spinal injury victim recover, when science said it was impossible…. Does, did he fall in love with her on the “faith card” only to have faith let him down?

Not been a smart arss, But these have all been pretty much discussed throuhout the thread....But yeah you got some valid points.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I reckon Jack is now 90% science, 10% faith after all he has seen. The fact that it was Desmond on the Island was the final thing to make Jack start wondering. Inside he's in turmoil, but on the outside he refuses to believe. The reason he pushed the button was because wouldn't you if you had even the smallest doubt in your mind that it wasn't just an experiement and something bad could actually happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Not been a smart arss, But these have all been pretty much discussed throuhout the thread....But yeah you got some valid points.

Usually when someone leads with "not being a smart arss".....they are...lmao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

oleras wrote:

Nicely summarised and I hadn't actually considered the bit about Jack falling for his wife on the "faith card"...

Thought they were a pretty concise recap on where we're at with Locke myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Sleepy wrote:
    Nicely summarised and I hadn't actually considered the bit about Jack falling for his wife on the "faith card"...
    I think the biggest act of faith we've seen from Jack so far was when he said to Sarah "I'm going to fix you". Even pressing the button could have been a calculated scientific decision (Jack is making decisions for 40-odd survivours). But when he said he was going to fix Sarah, he believed it, against all the scientific evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

RonanC wrote:
    Holy .....

Dharma logo on the plane?

From Tabula Rasa, around the 41st min mark.

So they're not making it up as they go along....
    Jacobs!

Didn't believe it when i saw the screencap... looks like someone just photoshopped it in but checked the episode there and it's definitly, definitly a dharma logo on the plane

:|

doh.ie wrote:
    Thought they were a pretty concise recap on where we're at with Locke myself.

@ ORLERAS...My humble apologies, absoutley no offence ment on my behalf :o
    Badly worded, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Quickie revelation:

In ep 1X18 - Numbers, I wonder if Leonard (the man Hurley goes to see in the mental institution), was one of the people "signed on" by the Dharma Initiative. Maybe years ago he had the same job that Desmond and Kelvin once had, to input the numbers every 108 minutes.

Once his replacement came, maybe his time working for Dharma at the island terminated, and so they, sorta, fscked up his mind so he went slightly "crazy". Then they sent him on home in some way and he was just found by someone - and so he ends up in a psych ward. His memory had been erased, but all he could remember were the numbers.

Of course, these are just my own thoughts. Anybody else have any other ideas on Lenny? And possibly Sam Twomey? (The man who was stationed with Leonard in the Pacific, to monitor long-wave transmissions.)

qz wrote:
    In ep 1X18 - Numbers, I wonder if Leonard (the man Hurley goes to see in the mental institution), was one of the people "signed on" by the Dharma Initiative. Maybe years ago he had the same job that Desmond and Kelvin once had, to input the numbers every 108 minutes.

Once his replacement came, maybe his time working for Dharma at the island terminated, and so they, sorta, fscked up his mind so he went slightly "crazy". Then they sent him on home in some way and he was just found by someone - and so he ends up in a psych ward. His memory had been erased, but all he could remember were the numbers.

Of course, these are just my own thoughts. Anybody else have any other ideas on Lenny? And possibly Sam Twomey? (The man who was stationed with Leonard in the Pacific, to monitor long-wave transmissions.)

I thought this as well, maybe being the reason he repeated them so much. We know he heard the numbers with Sam and the bad luck was passed on to Sam via the still-inexplicable bean counting game. Sam and the wonky accented missus had some bad times, but we don't know what happened to Lenny. If Lenny did go back to the island - maybe to investigate the apparent power of the numbers - it certainly hasn't said so yet, but I like the idea he might have.

It would also be within Dharma's power (psychology, para-psychology) to mess with his mind and send him back (but equally, why not kill him?) Could Lenny - and people like him - be sent back to cause people to then get stranded? (Though Lenny told Hurley to go to Australia for answers, not to the island...)

Dharma have a hand in a lot of the weirdness - probably Locke's legs, maybe the storm that caused the crash (they're into meteorology) and maybe the sickness that afflicted Danielle's crew. Could the sickness be one of the mind, where you become like Lenny after years of number-inputting?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've just been watching a few episodes of the series one DVD's and I've noticed a couple of lines in the shows that I've just watched so far that seemed a little odd, especially since seeing Desmond and his affection for using the word 'brother' in odd places. It just struck me that the way the lines were delivered there was a little too much emphasis on the word brother, as if we were supposed to be noticing it.

Hurley speaking to Jack in 'White Rabbit'.
    http://www.lost-tv.com/transcripts/White_Rabbit_Lost.htm
    [Shot of Jack, Hurley comes up.]
    Hurley - Whoa. You look tired, brother.
    Jack - I'm fine. What's up?
    Hurley -We got a problem.
    [Jack looks too tired to deal. Shot of some water bottles in a suitcase.]

Sawyer talking to Jack in 'Whatever the Case may be'.
    http://www.lost-tv.com/transcripts/Case_May_Be_Lost.htm
    Sawyer - Did she tell you what's inside? [Jack shakes his head.] Yeah, me neither. [He gives the case to Jack.] Hope you got yourself some jaws-of-life back in cave-town, that's what it's going to take to pop this bitch.
    Jack - I'll figure something out.
    Sawyer - I know you think you're doing her a favor. But however she talked you into doing this, she lied brother.

Of course it's also possible that I imagined it all. :confused:

Advertisement