Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Video Clip Request.. That 1990 Penalty Shootout Vs Romania

• 04-10-2005 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Since the dawn of the Carlsberg Greatest moments thingy, I got thinking about my favourite soccer moment, and the more I think about it, my interest in soccer goes back to the BRILLIANT BRILLIANT 5 mins in my life when I was 9 years old... you know the one where Packie Bonner closed the country down for the evening.. and George commented as Big Dave took the last penalty against Silviu Lung..

"A NATION HOLDS ITS BREATH.....YES WE'RE THERE!!!!!!"

Im wondering, and apologies to the mods if this should be in another forum, but has anyone ever seen that penalty shootout available to download??

Its a fantastic memory from my childhood and Id dearly love to be able to play it from time to time. It'd remind me that theres more important things in life than work :)

TIMOFTE AGAINST BONNER>>>> YEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember it well :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i was sitting about 10 rows back right behind that goal :)

waving my inflatable shamrock and going nuts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'd say thats some memory.
    AH the auld infalatable shamrocks, think everybody had one back then, ye got them free with the Mikado's
    ah good days, now for more of the same on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

my old man broke the couch when the peno went in. he leapt into the air and landed right on the frame, snapping it. gas craic altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

the atmosphere around the entire country was amazing. just being out and about was like being in in a pub watching a game! irish people put everything else on hold for that month.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Thats why we need to qualify for Germany. It will be a long time before we will have a world cup so close again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/video.html
    O'Learys kick is 5 mins into this clip on Italia 90.
    Good too see all the other highlights too :)

http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/~justy/videos/italia90.wmv

That's O'learys last kick with George H commentry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

whiskeyman wrote:
    http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/~justy/videos/italia90.wmv

That's O'learys last kick with George H commentry

Ah nice one whiskeyman!!!! that'll keep me going til I can find the whole shootout!! Fair play to ya, your searching abilities far exceed mine!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

ah great to see that kind of stuff after a while.
    Now if that was broadcast before the game on Saturday there would be some atmosphere.
    Unless we got to the quarters in Germany dont think there'll be any atmosphere quite like that again...

Trotter wrote:
    Ah nice one whiskeyman!!!! that'll keep me going til I can find the whole shootout!! Fair play to ya, your searching abilities far exceed mine!!
    no bother.
    I just had to urge to see that moment of magic too myself!
    I think I have highlights of the shootout on a tape somewhere... perhaps it was on Channel 4s top 100 World Cup moments. I think they showed the whole peno shoot out then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

whiskeyman wrote:
    no bother.
    I just had to urge to see that moment of magic too myself!
    I think I have highlights of the shootout on a tape somewhere... perhaps it was on Channel 4s top 100 World Cup moments. I think they should the whole things then.

Strangely enough though, Im nearly sure the line from George was
    "A nation holds its breath".. "YES WE'RE THERE!!"

In that clip, all you can here is the yes we're there bit. Odd!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Trotter wrote:
    Strangely enough though, Im nearly sure the line from George was
    "A nation holds its breath".. "YES WE'RE THERE!!"

In that clip, all you can here is the yes we're there bit. Odd!!
    You're right, and George was talking while Dave was placing the ball. It's nice to see it again. Thanks whiskeyman!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ahh, cheers for that :) I don't get anything other than "YES!" on the commentry when it goes in....other than that, just the crowd, but i'd love to hear the proper version. On a sidenote of the first link...Did anyone watch the '90, '94, and '02 WC summarys? It's great to remember all the great games, all well worth a look, except 2002 which completely skips the groups, and most of second round...nothing shown or mentioned of the Irish epics against Germany & Spain :mad:

You know that year we were voted second most exciting team of the whole tournament on the FIFA website behind Brazil...not something you'd always associate with Irish football eh? ;)

DubGuy wrote:
    You know that year we were voted second most exciting team of the whole tournament on the FIFA website behind Brazil...not something you'd always associate with Irish football eh? ;)
    But who voted?
    If it was a public vote online, surely you're aware of the Irish drive behind our candidates:
    Time magazines "Man of the Century" was topped by "irish soccer legend" Ronnie O'Brien before they kicked him out of the poll.
    The Wolftones topped some "Top 100 songs" poll I think.
    Ray Houghtans goal Vs England in Stuttgard '88 was going to top Channel 4s "Top 100 sporting moments of the Century" before they "amended" the votes

See a pattern emerging? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

:D I think I do! Irish people are great ;)

ssshhhh.....I think they're on to us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Brilliant....i hope we make it this year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Cheers for the clips.

Penalties are the most exciting way to finish a match. Unfair? Maybe. Anti-Climactic? Never! It's always class watching a penalty shoot out because nobody in the room even moves a muscle on the deciding kick. Classic to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

eurosport have been doing excellent reviews of past world cups recently.. saw th 86 review, couldnt take my eyes off it it was fascinating stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

whiskeyman wrote:
    But who voted?
    If it was a public vote online, surely you're aware of the Irish drive behind our candidates:
    Time magazines "Man of the Century" was topped by "irish soccer legend" Ronnie O'Brien before they kicked him out of the poll.
    The Wolftones topped some "Top 100 songs" poll I think.
    Ray Houghtans goal Vs England in Stuttgard '88 was going to top Channel 4s "Top 100 sporting moments of the Century" before they "amended" the votes

See a pattern emerging? :D

Yeah, is it that in each case Irish people come off as looking pathetic and insecure for repeatedly trying to rig British online polls? :confused:

Pigman II wrote:
    Yeah, is it that in each case Irish people come off as looking pathetic and insecure for repeatedly trying to rig British online polls? :confused:
    More withdrawl symptoms from lack of success in the Eurovision... the only thing we could beat other nations at!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

I do find it quite amusing though getting the wemble bridge I think it was called after Roy Keane. May have been somthing to with arsenal not sure.
    But anyhow its funny having them fix the votes for their own means!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I love it that we try to rig everything so an Irish person or thing wins. Its mad the way we can get so many people to vote for the same thing. i think its hilarious

Advertisement