Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ComReg Launch their Strategy Report/Plan thingy

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nothing up there as I write , no strategy and no plan and no vision and so ****ing typical that is too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Just read it. It's a new improved spin the bottle! 100% more spin and 60% less bottle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is there any strategy or plan or vision in it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Has anybody been at this event going with the ComReg doc release?
    DCMNR press release:
    Good morning ladies and gentlemen. I am delighted to be invited here today to open this Forum on "Communications in the 21st Century" the purpose of which is to stimulate debate on the future direction of the electronic communications sector and the appropriate regulatory environment to support this development. This conference, bringing together as it does the various interested parties in the sector, both public and private, provides a great opportunity to discuss strategies on how best to develop services and products to meet the needs of the consumer.
    We are currently entering a period of significant change in the telecoms sector; new technologies are emerging at an increasingly rapid pace that are likely to change the shape of the industry in the most fundamental ways.
    Key trends in IP1 and the emergence of Next Generation Networks are changing how services are delivered to consumers and how operators interact with one another. I believe that economic, commercial and social conditions are emerging that indicate strong growth in broadband access. New mobile and convergent wireless or 'nomadic' services are developing that can bring together several once separate sections of the industry. Other forms of convergence between different technologies, services, devices, companies, markets and regulations are likely over the period under consideration.
    Some of these developments will occur under natural market conditions, requiring no additional action to be taken by ComReg (or indeed allowing existing measures to be withdrawn), while in other cases the market may benefit from new regulatory products or measures. In other cases again, consideration may need to be given to a more radical approach if competition is to provide the range, price and quality of services needed by businesses and citizens alike in a 21st Century economy like Ireland's.
    All of these potential developments, together or separately, could have significant economic and social impacts in Ireland.
    ComReg's consultation document entitled "Forward -looking Strategic Review of the Irish Telecoms Sector" looks at potential future developments in the telecoms sector in Ireland over the next 5 years including some of the possibilities for the important social role that telecommunications play. The consideration of these potential developments will help encourage dialogue with industry and telecoms users in Ireland so that we can work together to find the best way forward and start the process of developing a strategy.
    It is important for a regulator to consider the possibilities that may emerge in the future to help avoid potential pit-falls. Giving due consideration and preparation to future developments enables us to provide a degree of clarity and certainty to the market with the aim of encouraging investment and innovation.
    A number of potentially important trends are highlighted in the aforementioned Comreg document which I understand require some consideration such as:-
    Investment in telecoms infrastructure: Investment is needed in both access capacity, beyond what is considered broadband today, and in next generation network architectures if consumers and service providers are to benefit from the potential of next generation networks, and Ireland is to remain competitive. There are some indications that this investment is beginning in Ireland.

Convergence in the sector: Convergence is likely to occur between different aspects of the telecoms sector including technologies, services, and markets. Nomadic wireless technologies such as Wi-Max are likely to play an important role in fixed mobile convergence. Developments in the area of radio spectrum management could impact on this

Adapting regulation: Increased competition at various levels is likely to emerge as next generation networks are adopted which could reduce barriers to some forms of market entry. This may result in an opportunity for some regulation to be withdrawn or lessened. On the other hand, more radical measures may be needed to increase competition to enable more operators to be more innovative in terms of quality, service and price in the interests of the Irish consumer. As next generation networks emerge they could also create the potential for new barriers to entry or bottlenecks to emerge. This is likely to require regulatory attention.

The changing social role of telecoms: The importance of telecoms for social inclusion is increasing as we integrate telecoms further into our lives. How we use telecoms and the types of services that we use continue to change. This calls for careful attention to be paid to ensuring that the needs of all sections of society are met. As next generation networks develop the role of universal service obligations may also need to develop accordingly.
    I welcome this opportunity to meet some of the major players in the industry and look forward to being at the centre of such a fast-paced and exciting sector. It is through the combined efforts of my Department, the industry and ComReg that we will create the best possible environment to further access to, and maximise quality of, the growing range of services available to Irish people.
    ComReg has taken a number of initiatives to protect and educate consumers so that they may make informed decisions when choosing a telecommunications provider or service. I wish to applaud ComReg for these initiatives and I am confident that this work will continue.
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank ComReg for affording me the opportunity to address you today. The Irish economy has experienced tremendous growth in the past few years. I believe that a key factor in maintaining our success will be the provision of competitive and high quality communications services that promote and facilitate the development of the economy and the enhancement of social life. I welcome the challenges that this will bring me and look forward to working alongside you all in attaining this goal.
    Thank you for your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

JWT is there now, reporting back to me via text message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Sponge Bob wrote:
    is there any strategy or plan or vision in it ??

Strategy as in appearing do lots while actually doing nothing?

Advertisement