Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sepultura question

• 05-10-2005 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭

Didnt want to say this in the reunion topic, but why is it that 90% of people on the internet love the new Sepultura, but EVERYONE "on the street" i have talked to hates them and would love to see Max back? Is it just internet fanboy-ism or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Difference of opinion maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Obviously...

But it was just an observation that the internet has all these die hard fans, yet people i meet in real life really hate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've never found it was something solely inherent to the internet, infact I know someone personally who thinks that Derek is a far better vocalist than Max. I think that his Soulfly crap has proven that he would be ill-equipped to be back with the mighty Sep again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Well i dont know about that. I recently left my first band, and before i left, my creativity was great! But now that im on my own and i dont have the other band members to stimulate my creativity, i cant write a good riff for ****! Its obvious from before that max and andreas had a great riff writing partnership. Put those two together again and who knows what will come out.

It seems almost cool to like them online, much the same as its cool to hate Metallica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

If you ever see me in real life at a gig I'll tell you I'm quite happy with Derrick. I saw Sepultura first back on the Beneath The Remains tour, so it's not like I'm a blow in. The first two albums with Derrick were patchy, but then again, so was Roots IMO and Soulfly are gick in my ears. Roorback is up there with BTR and Arise in my book and I'm very, very keen to hear the new stuff, almost the polar opposite of how unkeen I am to hear the new Soulfly slop.

I think people on the internet are more likely to express what they really think, as they're less in "gang mode" with their mates. Let's be honest, it's cooler to pretend you're into the band back when they were "old school" or whatever tag you want to give it. This "Oh yeah, I prefer the old stuff!" mentality is frequently an individual not wanting to step out of line in a group. Max was fantastic but, as I said, I think Roots is largely a bag of piss and he kept going in that direction with his new band. Sepultura, with Derrick, have progressed in a good way, he's a better, more dynamic vocalist (check Revolusongs) and the band seem happy and stable with him.

Sepultura would do well to stick to their guns, they're on the cusp of great things again IMO and I hope media pressure doesn't force them into doing something very, very stupid. In my experience, usually when a former member starts going on about "how great it would be to get back with the guys again" it's because they've recognised their career is on the wane and it's an easy way to get people talking about them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Nah, I've seen plenty of online bitching as well, although I never take it seriously. A lot of the time it seems to be Soulfly fans looking to stir stuff up. And they always seem to write like they are between 12-15. In fact on the fansite not so long ago I think there was someone creating multiple accounts just to bitch and cause trouble.
    Sepultura have posted 5 videos on their site since going back into the studio, and each one of them just makes me more and more impatient to hear the new stuff, I absolutely can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

Sepultura have evolved since max left. the problem with soulfly was that for the first three albums he just remade a roots type album.prophecy and dark ages however are much better.Sepultura are the better band and i think the reason many people say they dislike them is simply because against was so different from the other things they did.it maybe a generalisation but i'dsay that the majority of people who loved arise etc have yet to hear roorback.i could be wrong but maybe not.

Advertisement