Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harriet Miers

Options
  • 05-10-2005 7:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any take on this? From what I see in the media they are complaining she doesn't agree with family values (pro-abortion), however it appears that she is the complete opposite and very anti-abortion.

One thing that gets me though, if Bush is charged with conspiracy charges would she rule for Bush regardless?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

This could potentially stir up a hornets nest amonst Republicans.

Miers is not a judge. She's a lawyer by profession, and currently legal counsel to the White House. Its impossible to judge her real position on just-about anything - lawyers take the position they are paid to take....although one can get a feeling for their leanings by looking at their case history.

Going one step further, she's a corporate lawyer....which means that outside corporatism, its almost unknown territory as to what her stances are.

The best comment I've read so far about her is that it looks that with this nomination, Bush is putting "clan-ism" over politics, and pushing someone who will look favourably on him and the other Bushes in future, rather than someone who necessarily upholds the Republican ideals. That too, however, is nothing but speculation.

As expected, Bush has pushed for a quick acceptance. I can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

She has to be accepted by the Senate first?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Yup. She does indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭black_jack

bonkey wrote:
    This could potentially stir up a hornets nest amonst Republicans.

Miers is not a judge. She's a lawyer by profession, and currently legal counsel to the White House. Its impossible to judge her real position on just-about anything - lawyers take the position they are paid to take....although one can get a feeling for their leanings by looking at their case history.

Going one step further, she's a corporate lawyer....which means that outside corporatism, its almost unknown territory as to what her stances are.

Yeah and the fact she became aquainted with Bush over some piddlingly little tort over a "fishing cottage" FFS.

I'm not saying I want the best legal minds in America on the supreme court, the most powerful legal body of the most infulential arm of the legislator of the worlds most powerful nation, but, no wait, I take that back, the best or at least most respected and regarded judges. They should have a least I dunno, some experience as a FRIGGIN JUDGE at some level. Or as a DA, or law professor at a major university, not some corporate lawyer who's first state legislation function was as a bush appointee sorting out the bloody texas state legislator.

I am wondering how long this Bush "hey top of your class intelluctual don't make ya'll the smartest," homespun crap" he can shovel at america. Hey Brownie you're doing a heck of a job, sh*te. You can't just shove a crony for every position esp if the position is for life position in the supreme bloody court when your populatarity is plummeting, and the person you're offering can offer scant examples of proof of their ability to handle the challenge of the job.

This makes me furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I would just like to point out that there have been many SCJ's that did not have previous judge experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

http://harrietmiers.blogspot.com/

Something to make the monday fun. :)

Advertisement