Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you think of update?

Options
  • 05-10-2005 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

OK I only got 2 hrs online last night because had course on but anyway have played wake island and seen most of the updates so here are my thoughts

Bumped into a few vehicles and wasnt killed but an enemy one passed close to me, dont think he hit me, and I just died....anyone notice this?
    Looks a bit nicer and smoother graphics wise and it was easier for me to pick our names of the players
    Again the supply crate where only showing up with an icon over them.....wasnt anything on the mini map in right cornor to show there position
    Wake island rules if you are a medic....was Chinese/Mec and teh US had one flag.....we where attacking it and the US where defending while trying to break out to take out our runway...I was running around reviving people and handing out med kits.....was top each round :D
    Like it showing up who is in your chopper/car/watever
    Have improved the sounds of tank/AA shooting and moving

My unlocks havent worked yet
    AntiAir missles are still sh*t against planes

Thats about all I noticed in the 2 hrs!! Still very impressed!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yeah I'm pretty happy with it too. Everything that I expected was modified in some some way to make it better it seems. Some still have complaints but it's mostly things which weren't expected in this patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like the new engine sounds :)
    There's a bit of a delay between getting promoted and actually getting the unlocks while the stats update. That's the way its been on 1.02 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I like it so far.
    I have been promoted 3 or 4 times to Staff Sergeant, got 3 unlocks.
    As for the game itself, lots of things ironed out, I like the fact that you can see your teammates on the minimap, the flags have their names on them now.
    Still some stupid things going on though, like team vehicle damage, which I think is ridiculous, Im driving a tank and someone crashes into me and I get deducted points, not that Im a point whore, I just dont like being penalised for something that wasn't my fault, it gets on my tats....

Anyway, all major improvements but when you think about it all of this should have been done initially before the game shipped. I mean did DICE do any testing on the finished product or allow a small amount of the public to beta test it?

The sooner some regulator is setup to check games for quality the better, although I doubt it will ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the updated AA is deadly against planes, its just still possible to dodge them, but very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

And choppers dont have a hope against it.

• Advertisement

which means choppers are going to have to rely on infantry and bombers to take out the AA or use their tv missile from 600m....... like it should be. no more 'were a two man army' ****e

Chopper flares seem to reload a ****load faster though, so just use them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Great patch for me. Its great having the extra unlocks. Wake Island is a stunning map. It plays excellantly for squads attacking/defending a base

Must give wing walking a try later on see how far we get.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Excellent patch so far for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I had a pain in the swiss trying to get the patch installed.
    Ive got my HDD in 2 partitions, a 6 gig partition for windows, and the rest of my drive for games and what have ya. So i downloaded the patch, and cause i only have 1gig free on the 1st partition, the patch tell me i need at least 1600mb free space to instal. 'Easy', i think, and cut and paste it from the windows partition onto my other one which has 60 gigs free on it. Still getting the same error no matter what, and my disk cleanup is borked on my 1st partition and never works. :mad:
    So, i had to crack open my pc, slap in a floppy drive from an old dell machine (ive no flopy in my good pc), boot up with partition magic, spend about and hour waiting while it resizes my drives, take the floppy out again, and finally after about 2 hours i got it installed.
    Worth it for the 3 unlocks i got tho ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Partition magic can merge/resize drives through windows. then you simply restart, and *bing* its done.

I've done it on 8 machines in a primary school last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Whats all this I'm hearing about mulitple unlocks? I've about 2800 points currently and one unlock - what can I expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

jaggeh wrote:
    the updated AA is deadly against planes, its just still possible to dodge them, but very hard.

I was on server last night....Gulf of Oman......was playing US and was in AA gun.....took down chopper twice alright but no matter what way I fired or what direction the pilot was flying I didnt get a hit....maybe they where good pilot but I was firing off alot of shots with no hits.....

Jumped onto another server and was in heli.....bloke was in AA and was firing away.....he only got hitting me once before I took out the AA....he was after firing at least 5-6 times and I dodged them......didnt seem any more impressive to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

only played with the patch for about 30 mins last night. Was playing Wake Island, wasnt happy with it at all. It was probably just the people i was playing with. 64 player, full, on chinese team and there were only 2 squads!!! No coordination at all. I started a third one but noone joined. By the time i joined the USMC had the airfield and all but one of the flags. Just kept gitting murdered from the air. Think i got killed 17 times in the that 30 mins.
    Aside from that i did try the AA a coulpe of times and found them still usless against aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Anyone played as Spec Ops yet *plays with c4 charge* i wanna know what i have to expect when i get my machine back. :D

You'll get points for blowing up the commander's playthings. That's about the only difference I can see for spec ops. Well that and you'll probably get 2 or 3 unlocks to play with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Is it my imagination or is the graphics better or easier on my pc , it just seems a bit smoother .

Other than that I find it fine , seems the jets move a lil slower aswell but probably just me .

Zulu wrote:
    Whats all this I'm hearing about mulitple unlocks? I've about 2800 points currently and one unlock - what can I expect?

2 more unlocks for you IIRC. You should be a Sergeant afetr 1 kill/point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

jonski wrote:
    Is it my imagination or is the graphics better or easier on my pc , it just seems a bit smoother .

Other than that I find it fine , seems the jets move a lil slower aswell but probably just me .

Yeah jonski, I noticed a better lookin game..graphically alright. Especially if your in or near water, Just seems alot more crispier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Arabel wrote:
    2 more unlocks for you IIRC. You should be a Sergeant afetr 1 kill/point.
    Super news!
    I unlocked the assualt last time, any recomendations folks? Was thinking Spec ops, and either sniper or medic....

PS: what's IIRC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sweet. Faster loading times for the maps, too. Got the new sniper rifle. Nice. Got 2 kills with it for shooting a chopper :)

Overall, easier to drive stuff, oh, nad ONE BIG DIFFERENCE: you can only rearm your plane in your own base. If the enemy has control of it, you can't repair or rearm. Before, you could rearm by flying over the enemy base, but not in this one.

jonski wrote:

As I mentioned in first post :D the graphics seem to be alot smoother and sharper....better looking all round....but I have only been on 3 of the maps so far so will have to get a good lash at all of them to notice....was having so much fun on one of my fav maps of all time Wake island I didnt want to change.....class when your flying out to attack US ship there is a couple of zero's still in water!!! I looked down and a tear came to my eye!! that was prob me flying that plane on a straffing run that went haywire!!!

Jonski your BTC? whats the new IP for your ranked server? used old one and connected to some random server!! ths from website correct? 213.230.201.133:16567

the_syco wrote:
    Sweet. Faster loading times for the maps, too. Got the new sniper rifle. Nice. Got 2 kills with it for shooting a chopper :)

Overall, easier to drive stuff, oh, nad ONE BIG DIFFERENCE: you can only rearm your plane in your own base. If the enemy has control of it, you can't repair or rearm. Before, you could rearm by flying over the enemy base, but not in this one.

Your wrong here man....if you flew over enemy pad in heli it never rearmed or repaired.....not sure for planes but I know heli's(my fav) you had to go back and hope they hadnt captured your flag....this was always the way from when I played!!

Didnt notice much change with load times but I am only running 1GB of memory so I think that is the problem....mind you on the second reload of wake Island it flew thru....but once I got to Gulf of Oman it was back to usual load time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Big Nelly wrote:
    Your wrong here man....if you flew over enemy pad in heli it never rearmed or repaired.....not sure for planes but I know heli's(my fav) you had to go back and hope they hadnt captured your flag....this was always the way from when I played!!

Didnt notice much change with load times but I am only running 1GB of memory so I think that is the problem....mind you on the second reload of wake Island it flew thru....but once I got to Gulf of Oman it was back to usual load time!!
    Dunno about heli's, I fly planes usually. Planes over any runway before the patch would rearm you, but now its only your own base (that your team has ownership of).

Also, as for load times, I've only 768MB RAM, so yeah, I notice a big decrease in the load times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Well i dunno if its just me, but i find the M95 is a lot more accurate now. Seems i am getting hits that before i used to think " no way! i def hit that guy " plus the graphics are much better. I find theres a lot more action in the game too, played Wake Island last night, and very impressed. Seems to have been designed to get people in to heavy action type play. it was great fun.

All in all....great Patch

the_syco wrote:
    Dunno about heli's, I fly planes usually. Planes over any runway before the patch would rearm you, but now its only your own base (that your team has ownership of).

Also, as for load times, I've only 768MB RAM, so yeah, I notice a big decrease in the load times :)

you are both partially right and wrong. Friendly airstrips/pads will reload you at the normal speed, neutral airtstrips/pads will reload you at half speed.

so far im loving the new patch, ill have more playtime tonight, should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Big Nelly wrote:

Jonski your BTC? whats the new IP for your ranked server? used old one and connected to some random server!! ths from website correct? 213.230.201.133:16567

Sorry Big N , I should have updated the thread .

The server and IP are now , Multiplay.co.uk [BTC] and Friends

85.236.100.7:30264

If you need a spot , pm me in xfire

John

Zulu wrote:
    Super news!

PS: what's IIRC?

If I remember correctly

Specs ops unlocked weapon is brilliant. It sreall accurate and, I prefer the new iron sights on it.

Depends on what you play most but I'd say definitley go for the Spec ops one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The spec ops unlock really is wonderful.

I miss the cool laser sight but its worth it.

• Advertisement

jonski wrote:
    Sorry Big N , I should have updated the thread .

The server and IP are now , Multiplay.co.uk [BTC] and Friends

85.236.100.7:30264

If you need a spot , pm me in xfire

John

Thanks Man......used to play all the time I that server and havent been on it in ages,....had a few hrs earlier this week and tried to connect....must update my server document with new IP.....see you around tonite on it!!! usually sound people on it!!! it and GFF server seems to be the best 2 around I have played on(still cant get on TIG) and not having muppets!!

Advertisement