Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Being asked to pay extra for paying via PayPal

• 05-10-2005 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

I'm being asked to pay an extra €5 for paying via PayPal by a German seller.
    This isn't allowed is it?

Does anyone have a link to the official eBay/PayPal policy on this so that I can show him to prove that I am correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Its allowed if it is for shipping costs, but the shipping cost has to be stated on the listing. Sellers can send you an invoice through Paypal. What reason has he given to charge you extra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This is like a shop trying to charge you an extra 2.5% for using a credit card. If he didn't state it up front you shouldn't pay it. He should have known this when he decided to sell. I'd report him to eBay as its not what you agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Linoge wrote:
    Its allowed if it is for shipping costs, but the shipping cost has to be stated on the listing. Sellers can send you an invoice through Paypal. What reason has he given to charge you extra?
    Stating that PayPal charge him for receiving it, so he has to charge me.
    BrianD wrote:
    This is like a shop trying to charge you an extra 2.5% for using a credit card. If he didn't state it up front you shouldn't pay it. He should have known this when he decided to sell. I'd report him to eBay as its not what you agreed.

It's not even allowed tp specify as I got one auction cancelled before for saying that PayPal payments would require a 3% surcharge (I had seen it on other auctions).

Evidently you are not allowed to ask people to pay extra if they pay via PayPal, to promote PayPal.

I just need the official page where this is stated for proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Over a certain amount, you get charged it, me thinks, with paypal. But the seller should have known this, tbh. Sounds like he was tring to keep the price below a certain margin. The ole "99c" trick, if you get me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Aha,

from here
    Section V.
    No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Obviously the next step is easy :)
    link him, say that you will report it to ebay if he has a problem with selling it to you for the original price.
    I'm sure he will simply forget about that fiver.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Jerryc

Paypal charge (3.4% of transaction total + 35 cent) for every transaction. When you're withdrawing funds from your account, i think they charge you €1 for amounts under €100 & your bank may also charge you a fee.

I'd tell him to f off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

are people allowed to offer a discount for NOT using paypal (same thing really but may get by the rules)

Advertisement