Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whicp cpu is better

• 11-09-2001 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi, I have just haven to come into a cpu I was wondering if you guys could comment on whic is better.

(I) Cyrix 333 with MMX

&&

(II) AMD K-6 233

I have been told that cyrix give there chips a PR rating not the actual MHz that it should run on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Yes, the cyrix is not running at 333, more like 262. Anyway, both chips are brutal, and do not buy them if you intend to play games. The amd chip is possibly a little more reliable than the cyrix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wish

Well I am not buying either of, them my comp has the cyrix and a friend had the amd k-6, so he just gave it to me.

any way could you point me to some bench marking software, such that I could test the cyrix and the amd and see which is better.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭GenX

go to www.madonion.com and get benchmark 2001. its good if you have a geforce GFX card especially.

GenX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Are you suggesting he run 3DMark 2001 on a K6 233?

HA! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

You should really read posts thoroughly before replying, nobody is going to waste a geforce on a k6-233 or a cyrix of any description. For a real world benchmark, I suggest quake1. At the console type timedemo demo2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

SiSoft Sandra 2001 tests the CPU power the best..try that, its easy use too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

If you want actual cpu performance then I'd reccomend getting your hands on an old copy of norton utilities for windows, although as said quake1 (non-gl) would be a good interim measure as they'd both be using the same memory interfaces anyway.

Advertisement